User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  25
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another professional tog wannabe!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick I make no apology for my original statement which clearly says "most of the advice".
    I know that there are many who will frown and shake their heads at this non-sensible career choice, but I need advice so I'll brave it and say... I'm going into full-time photography!
    The OP clearly wants to go into full-time photography. That's his question.
    Sure, you can offer statistical advice, take it or leave it, or interpret it how you wish but it generally has little bearing on how an individual business may or may not succeed in a profession. In fact, that statistical advice is made up from the successes and failures of those who try so if more people try, and succeed, the statistics will change. Not the other way around.
    As for success or failure only those who are full time practitioners are qualified to answer the OP in respect to the profession. My "wannabee" statement is very relevant and represents all those people that are not full time professionals who for various reasons give advice on issues they know less about than the OP. If their statements were tempered with "this is how I think it would go" that advice would do little harm.
    There is good advice here from those who know well but overall it's mostly negative. To give some balance I will always counter that and provide encouragement or the industry will collapse.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    Rick I make no apology for my original statement which clearly says "most of the advice".

The OP clearly wants to go into full-time photography. That's his question.
    Sure, you can offer statistical advice, take it or leave it, or interpret it how you wish but it generally has little bearing on how an individual business may or may not succeed in a profession. In fact, that statistical advice is made up from the successes and failures of those who try so if more people try, and succeed, the statistics will change. Not the other way around.
    As for success or failure only those who are full time practitioners are qualified to answer the OP in respect to the profession. My "wannabee" statement is very relevant and represents all those people that are not full time professionals who for various reasons give advice on issues they know less about than the OP. If their statements were tempered with "this is how I think it would go" that advice would do little harm.
    There is good advice here from those who know well but overall it's mostly negative. To give some balance I will always counter that and provide encouragement or the industry will collapse.
    All you countered it with was self promotion and 'look at me', look what I have done, look at my website, google me. Full on self promotion! Nothing in your post was enlightening and advice that would directly assist the OP with a start-up!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is money out there........If your good enough and dedicated enough then you can make a living out of it. 95% of all my clients come from referrals (aka word-of-mouth) and that takes time to build.

Be patient and dont expect to get rich and famous and you can make it happen. Worked for me.
    GlossyFX (AKA Doug Hall)
    www.t8photography.com - Enjoying life, through photography.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first I thought Doug's comment was typically naive with the usual "oh but there's money to be made from it" .

But it WASNT. It was good !

Because Doug wisely added if you're good enough and dedicated enough. Wise and smart words. So not at all naive - on the money. We cant tell if the OP is dedicated enough. But we can give some opinions on what is GOOD enough. And this doesnt come anywhere close.

Sorry to be so blunt but clearly some people here think that what worked for them 20 years ago, is still possible now - it isnt !

So when I responded, I gave it after spending some time on checking everything. (Interesting indeed that the OP hasnt answered any of my very relevant questions) But its fine for us all to have opposing opinions. It matters not one jot to me if I can find Redgum plastered all over Google, or myself, or anyone else here. It also matters sweet F A, whether my advice is negative or positive. What matters is whether the OP gets an answer that they then plan their financial and business future on. Thats why the OP wanted opinions. Lots of them.

So I'll be quite happy to be the honest Simon Cowell type, the bad but honest person, and say, sorry, but the OP is way off the mark. And to suggest that the way to save the industry is to encourage everyone to go full time, whether they possess skill and craft at all, is frankly delusional in the extreme.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not picking on the IP at all Redgum - they asked for advice, and once I carefully looked at their work I gave mine.

Seriously thats ridiculous to insinuate that I'm picking on anyone.

And I'm certainly suggesting that its me encouraging "everyone" to go full time is both ridiculous and untrue. I would be the last person encouraging anyone to go full time at the moment - where on earth did you get that from ? Clearly not from anything I've said here or anywhere else. Refer to what I've said not what you think I've said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Redgum - Opinions are what Achee wants.

And you're misquoting me when you quote me as saying that I'm encouraging everyone to go full time.

So far, I've not said you're wrong, or others are wrong, or cannot be in a position to make a comment. Yet you have said exactly that. Perhaps you should reread what you've said.

Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    And to suggest that the way to save the industry is to encourage everyone to go full time, whether they possess skill and craft at all, is frankly delusional in the extreme.

I was referring to what you had said. Clearly missed the point there - obviously my fault

Anyway, as I've said in the past, it really doesnt matter what you want to think of me, or whether you want to throw in derisory and underhand comments by calling me a Master of Deception - I find that rather amusingly ironic, and ultimately offensive. Seems you want to spend more time insulting those who've spent the time offering an opinion, as you dont seem to have left anyone out of your personal attacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If one posts on a forum there are going to be many & varied answers/advice. There is much more to running a photographic business than being able to take a photograph. Communication & assessment skills are rarely mentioned & anotherimportant ability is being able to think on your feet if plans go awry. Some of these skills only come with experience & this is what clients pay for. I have not as yet mentioned accounting skills, marketing skills, a client base let alone decent photographic knowledge- at least as good as some of the clients you are likely to meet. If these are not in your repertoire you are behind the 8 ball compared to many half decent professionals. In addition to my other experiences I have had a successful tennis coaching business for 25+ years & been a reasonably successful photographer since the 70s. Both professions provide a service both needing much more knowledge than the respective abilities of playing tennis & taking photographs. I have never advertised to the masses in any business adventure in which I have been involved. If you are good enough, knowledgeable enough & prepared enough things will snowball. If they do not you have taken ill advice or were not ready. Insolvency accountants come across many able & aspiring persons who have poor business skills. Make sure you are not one.
    Last edited by Tony B; 21-11-2010 at 7:58pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far too many confrontational posts in this thread that head towards personal attacks rather than offering advice on the original topic.

Thread closed.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12