What would be the common setting to use on my D90 using a ND filter
    to get the smokey effect on water.

I have the filter but havnt really gone out to give it a good shot

Ray

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    common setting for smooth water? there are a lot of factors here.

Firstly, take your photos early morn or later into the evening, even a dull overcast day can work. Then are you walking waterfalls, streams, rivers, sea and or ocean. There is not perfect setting that is going to get you what you want. Using an ND filter basically makes it darker than it really is, thus you can use a longer shutter speed than normal. It is this longer shutter speed that captures the motion blur of the water and leaves the silky effect on waterfalls or the foggy effect on oceanside rocks.

What settings. First off, use the lowest ISO you have (usually 100), then use an aperture suitable for landscapes that gives you good front to back sharpness, I would say go f8 and above. I rarely use f22 as lenses are often not their best at this aperture. Choosing a shutter speed is a matter of trial and error, based on how much light there is at your location, but you should, with a decent ND attached (you don't tell us which ND you have) be able to get shots that are from 0.5 second, right up to 30 seconds and beyond, dependant on light levels.

Take your kit out and go experiment, learn to use the LCD review and histogram to determine your exposure and adjust accordingly to get a correct, creative exposure based on the light levels present at your location. Do not be afraid to muck it up, but when you do, learn why, understand what you did wrong, and correct it.

And have fun, and show us the results.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great advice from Rick and would concur with the settings that he mentioned.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick, great post! I learnt a lot too :-)

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankyou for your reply

I have a Kenko ND400 filter
    It's a very dark filter.

I Will go and experiment with your recommendations and hopefully I will get a couple good photos.

Ray

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gee Ray, shouldn`t be hard with a ND400. Might be a bit dark to see through though and you may have to focus in say aperture mode.... then screw the filter on... then take the shot. Tripod for sure with this filter and use your self timer. Others should give better answers though.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.