User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Tripod use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tripod use.

As some of you may have seen from my other thread I have just purchased my first
    tripoad(Inca I531) which I got as it suited me best for my current budget and I was getting impatient. Anyway I ramble.

My question is, Are there any convetions that people follow when using tripods, should you unpack them/adjust them in a particular way or order, should I hold my tongue in a particular fashion when making these adjustments? And what are the degrees markings around the collar below the ball head used to measure/indicate etc.

Any feedback/enlightenment would be much apreciated

Cheers Dan
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares, Youre a mile away and have his shoes!!" Billy Conelly

Eos 550D Sigma 17-50 2.8 EX DC OS HSM, 55-250mm IS, Nifty 50 and training wheels

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nup..Just get it out, extend it and setup and start shooting. Its just a hunk of metal and plastic.

Be aware that if photographing in places with lots of people, tripods are good for tripping people up, so I personally don't consider using them when there are lots of people around.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have learnt some tips from my class... Trivial really but I never knew
    1) when your camera is attached to the quick release plate (is that what it's called) lift the strap up twist it once and place the loop over the camera... Not sure if that makes sense but if for some reason if the camera is too come off the tripod the loop will hold it from crashing to the ground

2) always try to use the tripod as low as possible... So not extending the top part up too far. It could cause movement and would be unstable and there for if doing long exposures causes blur.

3) tongue placement isn't that much of a concern, what ever feels comfortable and what ever gets the job done

Sorry I tend to go on a bit...I'm new to this stuff but I thought these tips could be useful
    "I press buttons and hope for the best!"
    Check out my Flickr page

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ric and Danielle

Handy tips on the camera strap and over extension Danielle.

As far as tongue placement goes I have found that the uper left corner lip has been particularly effective especically since my Movember growth has become more prominent.

Cheers Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When using a tripod ensure you switch the Image Stabilization (IS, VR etc.) off.
    If you don't the IS system will continually search for movement to stabilize and in so doing create movement itself.

If you don't have IS or VR on your lens ignore what I just said.

Use your tripod and enjoy you sharp images.
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clean feet

Have yet to receive my first tripod, ordered tonight.

I saw one particularly handy tip in the Really Right Stuff videos on the website; when extending feet into dirty ground (mud) extend the low section fully and wipe it off before retracting the leg to minimise the chance of dirt getting inside the legs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another good tip for using a tripod on dirt, mud or sand is to get 3 tennis balls, put a slit in each and push them onto the end of your tripod legs.
    Stops the legs digging into the muck.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    extend the tripod to the desired height before putting the camera on, make it easier... even if the ground is uneven try to make it as level as posible... you dont want it toppling ovver and breaking your gear!

tongue placement? hmm... I out the right side of my mouth. its better feng shui

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have one of those 3 way levels that plugs into the hot shoe, got it cause i'm constantly finding myself on side of hills or in mud banks...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compose without tripod first - then set up.
    Always clean it after a seaside shoot - salt and sand do nasty things to tripods (even insides of carbon fibre ones!)
    mimic Jordan while taking a free throw for the tongue.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea on the tennis balls, and Ill make sure I turn of the IS.
    thanks
    Cheers Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My $0.02 worth:
    1/ If using a tripod with 4 section legs only extend the last sections if necessary - these are the flimsier/less sturdy leg sections and can lead to excess vibration causing blurry/soft images.
    2/ Don't extend the centre column if you can get away with it - again, can lead to excess vibration and it's consequences.
    3/ If the tripod has a centre hook and you need a bit more stability then try hanging your camera bag from the hook - don't exceed the max weight that the tripod is specified for tho.
    4/ If you're going to use a bubble level - check that it does actually read level.

At all other times my tongue is always held firmly in cheek.
    Tony
    Last edited by bushbikie; 19-12-2010 at 5:03pm. Reason: lousy spelling
    5D MkII Gripped | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Extender 2x II | 580EX II & 430EX II Speedlites
    Wanted: The list is long.......so very long........(sighs)
    Oldies but still goodies: AE-1+Program | FD 28mm f/2.8 | FD 50mm f/1.4 | FD 70-210 f/4