User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Tripod for 7D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tripod for 7D

I'm looking at buying a new tripod to go with my 7D as the one I currently have is a little bit too lightweight for it. The camera will have the 15-85mm lens mounted to it the majority of the time. I will only be using it for shooting waterfalls and similar stuff to that and don't want anything too large and heavy as I'll be taking it with me in my day pack on bushwalks. Any suggestions/links would be much appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What budget?
    Im about to buy a Manfrotto 190CXPRO3, which i believe to be very cool after all my research. extremely light and versatile, fairly solid for its weight and size.
    the column goes sideways, legs very low and the centre column can be inverted to put the camera almost flat to the ground
    If you want a little bigger you can go the 055CXPRO3.

However (from B+H) US$400 for the 55, or US$300 for the 190, so on the expensive side, but real cool.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out - Bill Hicks

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a good starting point, have a read of this thread......http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ripod-and-head

And please feel free to ask any further questions.

Cheers

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the replies. I probably hadn't budgeted quite that much daniel5600. Will I find anything which will be good enough in a lower price range? I've found even with basically no breeze whatsoever I can't get sharp photos with what I have now. The head is quite flimsy and its mpre than likely made to suit a point and shoot camera instead of a bulky SLR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you can get a lot of cheaper tripods that a still solid.
    might be worth your while to check this store out...

http://www.photo-shop-studio.com

They are an importer of Benro Tripods, fairly impressive for a lower price. i really like them, almost got one instead of the manfrotto, but i wanted a few tiny features manfrotto had that benro didnt.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look the goods. Do you also need to buy the ball head seperate for them or will the camera mount straight to it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i was in the store, the ones i was looking at had dual screw mounts on top that let you mount the camera straight to the legs if you wanted.
    but i would email to double check it for the legs you choose. ball head isnt much extra anyway and would make things a lot easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will want a separate head. It would be very restrictive having the camera screwed directly to the top of the tripod. The head will have a quick release plate which means you wont have to unscrew the camera each time you want to take it off the tripod.
    Canon 500D.....EFS 18-55 - EFS 55-250
    Hoya Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If youre on a budget like me then the higher end Inca stuff seems pretty good(Ive only just got mine today I531, see other thread). Or the Slik ones have a nice feel to them.
    Being pretty new to the whole game myself Im not sure what makes a good tripod myself but I hope this helps.

Cheers Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel5600 View Post
    Yes, you can get a lot of cheaper tripods that a still solid.
    might be worth your while to check this store out...

http://www.photo-shop-studio.com

They are an importer of Benro Tripods, fairly impressive for a lower price. i really like them, almost got one instead of the manfrotto, but i wanted a few tiny features manfrotto had that benro didnt.
    I use a Benro tripod, monopod and haed when I travel.

Great bang for your buck and bought it from these guys.
    AKA Sean

Canon 5D MKII - 24-105L - 70-200 F4L IS - 70-300 IS USM - 28 1.8 - 35L 1.4 - 50 1.4 - 85 1.8 - 100L Macro - 200L 2.8II - Tamron 17-35 2.8 - Sigma 150-500 - 430EX - and a stack of other bits and pieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're on a budget but like a lot of the features of the Manfrotto stuff (centre column going sideways etc for macro/copy work etc) try the Vanguard Alta Pro series. Their higher end one (not the carbon fibre) is quite cheap relatively (under 300) and your get a lot of great features for the money (ball head, rock bag, the centre column thing, bag etc).
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benro are built very similiary to the gitzo series that I use.
    I've not used one but have played aroudn wtih friend's equipment - they seem sturdy , are light and importantly <50% the price of gitzos.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    crum, the starting point, in most shooting scenarios, is to get a tripod that suits you height !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another satisfied Benro user here - I got the travel angel C-268 CF. Rock solid with a 7D + 70-200 (but possibly a bit more than you/d be looking to spend - the equivalent Aluminium one would be good, albeit slightly heavier).
    SA

Canon 7D | Canon 30D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L (non-IS) | 580EX II