Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon EF85 f1.2L USM

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reviewer is spot on about the lens's faults

and here's another one, excessive chromatic aberration in high contrast situations:

Put off this lens yet?

Still, all in all, if I only had one lens, this would be it

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pollen View Post

and here's another one, excessive chromatic aberration in high contrast situations:

Put off this lens yet?

No, not put off at all by the above. I think it's a great lens, my problem isn't as shown above it's more a slight tint which I discovered how to correct since the previous post. Thanks for the input
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put off this lens yet?

That example has been tweaked somewhat (massive saturation boost for starters).

In actuality the purple fringing is never that bad. It's there, for sure, but goes away as you stop down and is easily fixed in LR.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it definitely hasn't been tweaked, it's straight out of the camera. After much usage experience, I have found the issue is non existent indoors in low light. It's only an issue with high contrast reflective lighting (e.g. a sunny day), either white on black backgrounds, or chrome/silver/metallic objects.

Whilst I don't have any proof that it hasn't been tweaked, I also haven't got any incentive to misstate this fact though

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it definitely hasn't been tweaked, it's straight out of the camera. After much usage experience, I have found the issue is non existent indoors in low light. It's only an issue with high contrast reflective lighting (e.g. a sunny day), either white on black backgrounds, or chrome/silver/metallic objects.

Whilst I don't have any proof that it hasn't been tweaked, I also haven't got any incentive to misstate this fact though
    I apologise unreservedly then.

I had assumed that because I have never seen such a vivid purple in any of my use of this lens that it was tweaked, but I'll gladly take your word that it has not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    85L II is well envied by all other manufacturers. It is, in my research, revered and denounced only by those who don't wish to pay the considerable imposte.
    There are qualities this lens, and it alone, can deliver.
    So it surprises me that Sigma – a manufacturer with a somewhat dubious reputation – has surpassed the Canon with its new 85 f/1.4. See post.
    Love to see some sample images.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those who want a Canon lens with 85mm focal length to use for indoor sport, should consider 85 f/1.8... well that and the new Sigma 85 f/1.4

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petercee View Post
    Those who want a Canon lens with 85mm focal length to use for indoor sport, should consider 85 f/1.8... well that and the new Sigma 85 f/1.4
    The Canon EF 85mm f/18 USM is a fantastic lens; I used to own one.

It is very sharp, focuses quickly, is considerably lighter, smaller and cheaper than the 85/1.2L; and delivers very pleasing results.

I'd recommend it to anyone for whom cost is a primary consideration. While the L delivers 'wow-factor' images and has a signature element in its images, the 85/1.8 is an excellent lens.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks to all the contributors to the thread, I had no idea how much interest the debate would generate. In my limited experience with the 85 f1.2 I found it difficult to master for the first couple of weeks but now think it is best used in manual mode rather than Tv, especially in studio shoots which is where I will mostly use it
    Richard

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I would post this one as an example of what the 85 f1.2 does, very tricky to use in low light, this one at f3.2 and I wasn't game to go any lower than that, probably better at f4....

This subject was the only one who volunteered for the shoot, when I mentioned I was looking for human subjects I almost instantaneously emptied the house!!!!!

Difficult with such a small subject, probably be easier with a full size adult but I think with this sort of light f4 would be a better bet
    Richard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha my 85LII has never come off f/1.2

If I'm using f/3.2 or f/4 or whatever, I prefer a 70-200!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I have had this lens for a few months now and I love it.

The focus at times can be slow but it's not that slow. If I can do it right, the IQ is tack sharp but it can be tricky shooting at F/1.2 as the DOF is so shallow. I have never had one photo that was completely out of focus (whoever said that must have got terrible camera shake!). The color and contrast from this lens is superb.

When it comes to portraits, this is the one I have on all the times.
    CC are always appreciated.
    My Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tranclan5/
    Like my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quang-...356252?sk=wall
    My gear: EOS 7D (Resurrected) + 5DMkII and a few lenses.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to agree with all the above, seems to me it is a lens which has a deliberate purpose more than an opportunistc one. Mine is almost entirely used on a tripod and I can get by with another camera, yes I use the 70-200 too and as brilliant as it is the 85 gets it for IQ every time.
    Richard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went into a different direction for all AutoFocus i need i use 24-70 and then portraits and studio work and everything else where i dont need AF but need fast 85mm lens i use Contax Zeiss 85/1.4 converted to Canon costs 600-800 bucks on ebay - has unique 3D pop up, almost "filmish" look - which Canon glass will not ever be able to give (unless you do loads of Post Process work)...

And thats not the only Contax Zeiss Glass i use - if you want your shots look different and want their bookeh to have a soul but not the absolutely perfect, synthetic look, Canon lenses are producing, and can sacrifice AF, you should look into Contax Zeiss C/Y or Leica-R glass. There is also Zeiss ZE and ZF but they are very expensive and people are still arguing if they are any better then original Contax Zeiss T* glass. IMO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12