User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Any comments on this tripod? Slik 713CF Carbon Fibre Tripod Legs plus SH-705E Pan Head

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any comments on this tripod? Slik 713CF Carbon Fibre Tripod Legs plus SH-705E Pan Head

I am looking for a tripod for my new Canon 7D.

Is this a good choice?

Slik 713CF Carbon Fibre Tripod Legs plus SH-705E Pan Head

Product Features :
    The SLIK PRO 713 CF tripod uses space-age multi-layer carbon fibre material to reduce weight and improve rigidity for a more stable camera support. This model uses three leg sections to fold down to an easily manageable 57.5 cm. Its compact size and light weight at just 1.39 kg makes it the perfect tripod for backpacking and hiking. Despite its folded size, the PRO 713 CF tripod will reach eye-level when fully extended.

Thank you for your comments
    Be happy, life is beautiful, even through a humble point and shoot camera
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say much about the tripod other than the reviews I have read rate it quite high. From a photographers point of view though I'd reconsider the head. Get a ball head instead, or something like the Manfrotto 322RC2, for photography this little beast is awesome. Quick to setup a shot and sturdy when locked. The only exception to this is if you do a lot of panoramas, in which case your chosen head would be better.
    You will definitely appreciate the carbon fibre tripod weight difference, if you are used to carrying the p&s. The 7D isn't exactly a light camera, so any weight reduction is a good thing, whilst being sturdy.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allann View Post
    I can't say much about the tripod other than the reviews I have read rate it quite high. From a photographers point of view though I'd reconsider the head. Get a ball head instead, or something like the Manfrotto 322RC2, for photography this little beast is awesome. Quick to setup a shot and sturdy when locked. The only exception to this is if you do a lot of panoramas, in which case your chosen head would be better.
    You will definitely appreciate the carbon fibre tripod weight difference, if you are used to carrying the p&s. The 7D isn't exactly a light camera, so any weight reduction is a good thing, whilst being sturdy.
    Thank you Allann, I will talk to the store and ask if I can change to the head you've suggested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also make sure the twistlock leg locks are easy to operate. I have a screw lock & it is a PITA compered to my flip lock monopod. My next tripod will definitely have a flip lock arrangement.
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr