Thread: Easter Camping trip 2011

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easter Camping trip 2011

I know its a while away but Easter books out real fast. This year we have an extra day due to the Anzac holiday.

Easter falls on Friday 22nd April 2011. Have up to Tuesday as holidays.

A couple of us have decided to go to Girraween National Park. The site is here to look at. There is a link to book on line.

If you are interested I'd be booking as soon as you can. It goes on how many people are allowed in the park. Once you are there it's find your spot. No sites are allocated. There are hot showers(free) and loos(I think they flush). For van's there are spots posted for them but if we know how many are going we can save places close together.

If you are interested, you HAVE to book prior to going....and early. Fills fast. Even if it's months away for that time of year.

There are 2 camp sites in Girraween. The one we are going to and recommended by the guy I rang was "Castle Rock" campground. You turn off the highway into Girraween National Park camping grounds. Bald Rock Creek Camp ground is first and he said go 200m past that one to "Castle Rock". That's the one we will be at.

It's bush camping. No power. You can have fires in the BBQ pits but you have to supply your own wood. Gas cookers are probably a must.

Lots to see and do there. Explore the giant granite boulders, walks, falls and winerys. Tenterfield and Stanthorp are close by. Tenterfield has plenty to look at. Maybe we can organise a lunch in there one day.

So if you are interested, book and tell us so we can save an area as a group.

Wongi Waterholes was a great meet last year. Lots of us went to that. I'm sure this could be even better.
    Thanks for looking....Cheers,
    Julie-Anne / Julie / Jules / Julesy / JAS

MY ..... MY BLOG..... Feel free to look.
    Canon 40D / 24-105mm L IS / 70-200mm L IS / 75-300mm / 50mm 1.8 / Sigma 10-20mm / Manfrotto tripod / Bits and pieces to fill the bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do we need to have our own tents or they have tents so we can rent?
    Be happy, life is beautiful, even through a humble point and shoot camera
    Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do have a huge tarp we will put up as extra shelter like last time. So you will have a dry/cool area where we usually meetup and socialize.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ya Jas, put me down as very interested. have three man tent, have bow up matteress, have a lean-to, have me and camera gear( i think) all i have to do is get permission from minister of entertainment and finance. so i'll leave it as tentively very interested for the time being. it has been over ten years since in the area last. ian(aka pappa smurf)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry, you have to take everything yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jas
    I know we've been in hideing a lot lately but we would love to come along.
    I'll have my son with this time but I'm not sure about Shayn .She finally got her aprentiship as a chef (yay) and may get stuck working.
    I should have my fourbie on the road by then to.But put me down as pretty definate.seeya
    Yashica M107, Canon 1000D , Manfrotto tripod , Mimosa tripod , Lowpro bag to stuff it all in.
    And a Yashica/Canon conversion ring so I can stick me old lens on me Canon cause I'm a tightwad

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ian I'm sure you will be allowed out. It will be good if you can join us. x

Michael, So glad you are coming...Just let me know when you have booked ok.

Thanks..x

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just booked...

5 less counting us 2, 7 have been booked from yesterday. From 350 people at one time in the 2 camp sites, there is 202 people left allowed to book. So if you really want to go I'd be booking to save your spot. Easter is a busy time and with camping being bigger than ever, positions go fast.

When you do book...please let me know you have so I can save that amount of sites. We plan on getting there early the Friday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go camping with you bunch of crazy people again??????????????? HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!! I'm in and booked

DEFINATE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan
    Jacs & Paul

INTERESTED STILL TO BOOK

Ian
    Micheal

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear Jac and thanks for doing the definite list for me.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called into here today on the way past. "Castle Rock" camp ground where we decided to go is way better than the other one. More level and larger. The other one is more bush camping for tents.
    So "Castle Rock" is 8km in from the turnoff off the New England Highway on the right, past the first campground. 6km past Ballandeen. I will draw a mud map to where abouts I think is the better spots but really, I wouldn't care where we get. With it being a busy time of year, all we can do is try and save spots for everyone to be around the same area.
    Looks like there are 40 places left for Fri/Sat and 52 for Sun. Plenty more for the other days.
    I will draw a mud map up now and post it so you understand the way the grounds are layed out. I will post that soon.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Castle Rock Campground

Link to Girraween National Park
    With the link here to the park. As you can see the area called "Wyberba". The turn off is as you can see on the map from the highway which is 6km out of Ballendeen. To the campground is 8km from this turnoff. There is a T section which is well sign posted and just keep following it and is on the right hand side 250m past the first campground which is on the left hand side (which is rougher and the one we don't want) The one we want is larger and more level. Called "Castle rock" Right hand side.

"mud map" as shown

I'm easy to where we park our bums but having some with vans and some with tents, I'm thinking the area right at the end so we can have the tents close by. There are really only 2 bays there because one in washed out really bad.
    OR
    The bays where you can fit 2-3 vans in or even tents alongside, closer to the tent area to the center of the park where you first drive in so we can try and be all together there as well. They are drive through and should fit in easy 2-3 there. Shaded there as well.

The van bays to the left hand side are for small vans but might do if needed and still near the tents for the others. It also depends what is left and the times people arrives but I'm sure Greg will save a few spots if he can. Maybe put up signs to save spots???? Either that or get out the shotgun...LOL

The first ones there have the choice. None are allocated I just thought I'd draw a "rough" map to give you an idea of the layout.

We plan on getting there at daylight to help save some spots to try and be together.

If there is anything else just ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 41jas View Post
    Link to Girraween National Park
    With the link here to the park. As you can see the area called "Wyberba". The turn off is as you can see on the map from the highway which is 6km out of Ballendeen. To the campground is 8km from this turnoff. There is a T section which is well sign posted and just keep following it and is on the right hand side 250m past the first campground which is on the left hand side (which is rougher and the one we don't want) The one we want is larger and more level. Called "Castle rock" Right hand side.

"mud map" as shown

I'm easy to where we park our bums but having some with vans and some with tents, I'm thinking the area right at the end so we can have the tents close by. There are really only 2 bays there because one in washed out really bad.
    OR
    The bays where you can fit 2-3 vans in or even tents alongside, closer to the tent area to the center of the park where you first drive in so we can try and be all together there as well. They are drive through and should fit in easy 2-3 there. Shaded there as well.

The van bays to the left hand side are for small vans but might do if needed and still near the tents for the others. It also depends what is left and the times people arrives but I'm sure Greg will save a few spots if he can. Maybe put up signs to save spots???? Either that or get out the shotgun...LOL

The first ones there have the choice. None are allocated I just thought I'd draw a "rough" map to give you an idea of the layout.

We plan on getting there at daylight to help save some spots to try and be together.

If there is anything else just ask.
    Larry...here is the map again. I reposted it. Zoom out to see where the road takes you. It is well sign posted so you can't miss it. If you have gone to Tenterfield you have gone too far
    Turn off the highway and just keep following the signs. Just remember "OUR" campsite is on the right hand side "PAST" the first one which is on the left. Just read and you will be fine.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Friday and Saturday are booked out......22 left for Sunday.
    I told you we had to be fast. Well looks as if it's who's going is going.

DEFINITE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan - VAN
    Jacs, Paul & Caren - TENT
    Larry & family
    Allan & Kathryn - TENT
    Phil & Alayne
    David and Raeann
    Greg & Debbie - VAN
    Michael - TENT/UTE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 41jas View Post
    Friday and Saturday are booked out......22 left for Sunday.
    I told you we had to be fast. Well looks as if it's who's going is going.

DEFINITE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan - VAN
    Jacs, Paul & Caren - TENT
    Larry & family
    Allan & Kathryn - TENT
    Phil & Alayne
    David and Raeann
    Greg & Debbie - VAN
    Michael - TENT/UTE
    It did go quick, nice crowd, really looking forward to it after a wet and pretty flat Xmas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've booked for three nights (22nd to 25th) with my family. 4 people in total. My wife, me and two sons.

When I made the booking, there is a field called group name. I have filled "AP", not sure if it is the right group name, or doesn't matter.

Have fun

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to join in, but I think it is a bit far out for me to confirm that I can get Easter off work.
    And it is a long drive all the way down there, google is telling me 850 ish kilometres, so 9-10 hour drive.
    I think I will pass and wait for the next one
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like it will be four of us I'll book on thursday
    this should be fun

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larrywen View Post
    I've booked for three nights (22nd to 25th) with my family. 4 people in total. My wife, me and two sons.

When I made the booking, there is a field called group name. I have filled "AP", not sure if it is the right group name, or doesn't matter.

Have fun
    I was meant to say the group name. "AP" is fine but I put "AusPhotography".

Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post
    Would love to join in, but I think it is a bit far out for me to confirm that I can get Easter off work.
    And it is a long drive all the way down there, google is telling me 850 ish kilometres, so 9-10 hour drive.
    I think I will pass and wait for the next one
    Yeah it is a long drive for you Mark. I know you like camping to. Sorry but I'm sure there will be a next time.

Quote Originally Posted by castaway View Post
    looks like it will be four of us I'll book on thursday
    this should be fun
    Glad you are all coming. Plenty to do. Let us know when booked.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DEFINATE & BOOKED

Julie-Anne & Ivan
    Jacs & Paul
    Larry & family

INTERESTED STILL TO BOOK

Ian
    Micheal