Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's buying the Olympus E5?

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
    I am curious to know how well the add on fisheye, wide & macro lenses will work, but if (IF) they produce good results, could be a compact array of lenses.
    I noted those earlier today when reading the Digital Camera Resourse site. The macro is interesting and one would assume that it would have to be a doublet lens (or you would hope), in which case it could be quite good. It must have a 58mm thread and a step-down ring for the standard zoom. I suspect that Olympus may be recycling some of the add-on lenes for their earlier high-spec compact digital cameras of years past.

Edit: Specs are already up on the Olympus Australia web site. Here is a link to the close up lens (you can find the others under the lens product descriptions) http://www.olympus.com.au/component/...9/task,detail/

Unfortunately, not a doublet and only extends the close focus distance marginally, in the case of the 14-42 Mk II, from 0.3m to 0.24m. As the old 14-42 focussed down to 0.25m, just regaining lost ground.

May be more useful on the 14-150 as you get to 0.35m, presumably throughout the zoom range. That would be quite nice at the 150mm.
    Last edited by peterb666; 07-01-2011 at 1:26pm.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After seeing some of the results produced with the E5, I'm definitely considering purchasing one.

I only upgraded from the E620 to the E30 about 3 months ago, as it was a steal at $750 brand new from a local store. And i love the extra functionaility of the E30. But the IQ I've seen coming out of the E5.. wow.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piXelatedEmpire View Post
    After seeing some of the results produced with the E5, I'm definitely considering purchasing one.

I only upgraded from the E620 to the E30 about 3 months ago, as it was a steal at $750 brand new from a local store. And i love the extra functionaility of the E30. But the IQ I've seen coming out of the E5.. wow.
    You did very well at that price for the E30 as I paid $800 2nd hand for mine early last year. The more I buy, the more my wish list seems to grow .
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 12 (& Olympus Workspace).

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to start a thread to show a few of my bird shots, but I'm not having much luck with adding the photos. Here are 3 in the gallery.
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/gal...atid=newimages

I've tried looking for hints on how to do it without success, so if someone could point me in the right direction please, it would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've tried looking for hints on how to do it without success, so if someone could point me in the right direction please, it would be appreciated.
    It is in the HOW To section of the new AP Library : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...oks:Howto_Book
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    It is in the HOW To section of the new AP Library : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...oks:Howto_Book
    Thanks Rick. Now done! The search didn't seem to take me to that section & I couldn't see for looking when looking through the forum index. I was trying to add photos from the gallery & didn't try the attachment method (which I had used some time ago).

I will dig out my photos & start to show more of them.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ben using an E-510 for some years having migrated from an OM-2 (which my daughter has now 'borrowed' and is stocking up on film)
    I hope to get an E-5 this year, I do some work in amateur theatre and the E-5 should give me better noise respnse and I have some good glass, 50-200mm, 50mm and 14-54 Mk1 so I am not planning to jump ship to Canikon

Walter

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by walterm View Post
    I have ben using an E-510 for some years having migrated from an OM-2 (which my daughter has now 'borrowed' and is stocking up on film)
    I hope to get an E-5 this year, I do some work in amateur theatre and the E-5 should give me better noise respnse and I have some good glass, 50-200mm, 50mm and 14-54 Mk1 so I am not planning to jump ship to Canikon

Walter
    It will be a great upgrade from the E510 with lots more features & buttons too. I'm sure you will love it & you should get used to the weight increase with the comfortable grip. Your 14-54 lens is weather proofed & having the body to go with it, will give you the possibility to try it at times when you wouldn't take your E510. Another camera that will be interesting will be a higher level (prograde possibly) micro 4/3 body later this year, but those with a preference for the optical view finder will probably take longer before they will change to that (except as a 2nd camera).

I wish you well with whatever you end up upgrading to & I think Olympus has a few more things up their sleeves for this year, so should be interesting seeing what will be on offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just purchased a 35-100 so the E5 will have to wait. Happy with the e620 at the moment my ability does not use it to its full potential.
    Website - McGoo Photography
    Sean | Olympus E5 | Olympus e620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 35-100 SHG | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 70-300 | OM 50mm | Panagor macro converter | CPL filter | FL-50R flash |

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olympuse620 View Post
    I have just purchased a 35-100 so the E5 will have to wait. Happy with the e620 at the moment my ability does not use it to its full potential.
    That sounds very nice! Hope you enjoy using that lovely lens, an even better reason to get a body to get the best out of it (in due course).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ross

Thankyou for your encouragement I am looking forward to amassing the cash and getting my hands on the E-5

Regards

Walter

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish you well Walter & hope you get your new camera soon.

I was alerted to a guy (TimWcanon), being a Canon user, bought an Olympus E5 (previously had an E620) & did a comparison between it & the Canon T2i (on DPReview) & he has a close preference for the E5 giving it a very favourable comment, now he has to decide which one to keep. Here is his comment:

CANON VERSUS OLYMPUS

I posted a message on this forum a few days back after receiving my E-5. I had mentioned I am a long time Canon user (and VERY satisfied) but I also like trying other systems on occasion. I had purchased an E-620 with a 12-60 lens awhile back and was extremely impressed with the image quality. The E-5 has definitely been a step up from that in quality and I had mentioned some of the reasons I had these thoughts.

For the past several days I have been doing what I abhor….pixel peeping comparative shots between two systems. I have always been of the bent that the final product hanging on the wall is what counts and have generally stayed away from looking at a level of detail that my eye would never probably notice when printed anyway.

I used my Canon T2i (image quality is generally felt to be like the 7D) with a battery grip and my favorite walk-around lens; the 17-55 F/2.8 image stabilized. I made comparative shots with the Olympus E-5 and the 12-60 ( I might add that I think the 50mm F/2 Olympus lens (best lens for the $ I have every tried) is even better than the 12-60, but I wanted to use a somewhat comparable telephoto lens). I shot primarily low light or indoor natural lighting in my usual photographic manner. I did try to keep both systems using the same shutter speed, aperture setting, and focal length for the comparative shot. I shot several hundred pictures with both systems in RAW and then sat down at my computer to compare.

My workflow generally involves Lightroom 3 (raw conversion) and CS5. I generally make lens corrections, may do some level adjustments, apply some noise reduction if necessary, add some sharpness if required, and then perhaps do some minor tonal tweaks in PLightroom (clarity)…it is very subjective and totally dependent on my eye.

Here are some of the general conclusions I reached for myself:

White Balance

Both systems did a great job but I felt the Olympus system did a bit better….not enough to make a substantial difference. The E-5 does a much better job than the E-620.

Focusing

Both systems were fast and generally very accurate. I did notice when pixel peeping that the few times there were some focus issues, and they were very minor, they occurred with the Canon system. The Olympus generally was perfect.

Exposure

Canon seems to expose more to the right than the Olympus. Once you get use to each lighting environment it is not difficult to adjust the exposure in the Olympus to more than adequately compensate. One thing I did observe in post processing was that bringing up the exposure a small bit in the Olympus image did not really reveal a lot of shadow noise or other degradation of the picture. In other words, it is a phenomenon that can be fixed by understanding the camera in various lighting demands and making the appropriate adjustment or in post-processing.

Color rendition

I had both systems set to Adobe RGB color space. Color was probably the starkest difference between both systems to my eyes. The Olympus had just a bit more saturation and “punch” in their colors. This is certainly something that could be adjusted in the Canon or Olympus in camera or in post processing. I found the Olympus output to be a bit more pleasing but this is shaving hairs.

Ergonomics

I can operate my Canon with my eyes closed so this comparison was a bit unfair in that I am still getting use to the Olympus layout. However, I did not find anything that gave advantage to one system or another to me. I could work with either. I did the like the balance of the Canon a bit more primarily because of the battery grip. If I keep the E-5, I will definitely add a grip to it as well. It not only helps with the balance between body and lens, but makes vertical shooting much easier.

Workflow

The only difference in workflow had to do with Adobe's refusal to add Olympus to their lens correction in Lightroom. I have PTlens as an editor so I simply used that. This adds a few seconds to the process but nothing major. The amount of post-processing I used for both systems was minor and just involved some minor tweaking if any.

Image Stabilization

The in-body IS of Olympus on the E-5 is terrific. I found it to be much better than the E-620 and every bit as good if not better than the in-lens IS of Canon.

Matching the Settings

One of the things I noticed quite often in identical shooting situations was that the Olympus could use a lower ISO setting with a given lens length, aperture, and shutter speed setting. Many times, I was using ISO 200 on the Olympus and ISO 400 on the Canon to achieve the same setting. In these setting, and again I was pixel peeping, there was definitely less noise in the Olympus shots. This was probably the most dramatic difference I saw between the two systems. This is probably related to the exposure difference I noticed.

OVERALL

Unless I made an operator error, both systems provided excellent image results that without side-by-side comparison would be more than adequate for what I look for in my output.

I am a bit frustrated because I cannot afford to keep both systems. The overall experience I had with this totally subjective testing was that I sort of prefer the Olympus system. After looking at several hundred comparative pictures for the past several days, I can only say that when I did have a preference in the full computer screen comparisons, it was almost always the Olympus picture. I am going to continue shooting with both an eventually make a choice. The great thing, in my mind, is that I can’t make a wrong decision.

I have never used the E-3 or E-30, but I will say that there is a very noticeable difference between the E-620 and the E-5 (and the E-620 is an excellent tool!). If you have an investment in Olympus lenses, I would strongly recommend the E-5. It always looks tempting to llok the other side but sometimes there is no place like home !

It's always nice to get some favourable reviews of any camera under consideration for buying. In my case, it makes me feel more confident with the system I'm using because the critics (of Olympus) can sow seeds of doubt, but the saying of "the grass is always greener in the other paddock" can motivate us to try another system, & maybe making rash decisions in buying & selling only to discover it may not be as perfect as hoped for (in other aspects), though no matter which way a person chooses today, we are spoilt with fantastic results from most new cameras etc. with the ever improving technologies from each manufacturer. The guy above likes to check other systems from his Canon gear & this is why he is now facing a choice between it & Olympus. At least we benefit from his findings.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 18-01-2011 at 10:33pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using an E30 at the moment and I'm very happy with it. Would love to upgrade to the E5, but I also want the 35-100 lens, so I think the body will have to wait.
    Warren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    May be more useful on the 14-150 as you get to 0.35m, presumably throughout the zoom range. That would be quite nice at the 150mm.
    I have bought the wcon for my e-pl2. Waiting on delivery. I think they are designed for the 14-42mm (37mm filter size) as the 14-150 has 58mm fliter. I'll let you know when mine arrives.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lanegd01 View Post
    I have bought the wcon for my e-pl2. Waiting on delivery. I think they are designed for the 14-42mm (37mm filter size) as the 14-150 has 58mm fliter. I'll let you know when mine arrives.
    I'd be interested to know how you get on with that wcon.
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 28-03-2011 at 1:03pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lanegd01 View Post
    I'm still enjoying my E30 too. It has performed quite well for my daughters 21st birthday party this past weekend. For a wish list at present, it would have to be the ZD50-200 SWD lens plus EC14 (& EC20) & then the E5. It ain't ganna happen anytime soon, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 28-03-2011 at 1:02pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to know how you get on with that wcon.
    Still waiting. they told me in stock when I ordered but now stuck on back order!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still enjoying my E30 too. It has performed quite well for my daughters 21st birthday party this past weekend. For a wish list at present, it would have to be the ZD50-200 SWD lens plus EC14 (& EC20) & then the E5. It ain't ganna happen anytime soon, unfortunately.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 50-200. It is a great lens and works well with the EC20. I think it might be better with the EC14 but I don't have one to try. My 50-200 is in having the annoying "squeak" fixed atm. This is the only problem I have had with it in two years. It doesn't affect the lens, it just annoys me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12