Thread: Who's buying the Olympus E5?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's buying the Olympus E5?

The Olympus E5 was bagged in the rumour sites because of over expectations & now Olympus is trying to get enough out there for all the sales orders. It seems to be appreciated for what it can do & its great IQ. I wish I could afford one.

Let's hear your comments.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 12 (& Olympus Workspace).

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not buying it. While general image quaity is no doubt very good and the are some fabulous Olympus lenses to go with it, it still has the same old sensor that is quite terrible when it comes to long-exposure image noise, limited dynamic range and it costs far too much. You can have the Nikon D7000 for less and it is a vastly superior camera in most respects.

The E5 is what the E3 should have been when it was first released.

Sticking with my Olympus E-P1 and Nikon D90 for a while.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    Not buying it. While general image quaity is no doubt very good and the are some fabulous Olympus lenses to go with it, it still has the same old sensor that is quite terrible when it comes to long-exposure image noise, limited dynamic range and it costs far too much. You can have the Nikon D7000 for less and it is a vastly superior camera in most respects.

The E5 is what the E3 should have been when it was first released.

Sticking with my Olympus E-P1 and Nikon D90 for a while.

*removed - site rule breach*

BTW, Camera Store in SA are advertising the E5 for $1825, a pretty good price so far.
    Last edited by ricktas; 05-01-2011 at 4:03pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a bit betwixt and between. On one hand, while I appreciate the improvements over the E-3, I don't feel that they go far enough to persuade me to upgrade from my E-3 to an E-5. On the other hand, because of my investment in fine Zuiko glass, if Olympus decides that this is the final four thirds camera, I might just be forced to go out and get one before they go out of stock.

As an aside, while I do have major problems with high ISO noise on the E-3, I have no problems with long exposures (I just lock on ISO100) or with dynamic range. I just take all my photos in raw and process them afterwards with Olympus Viewer. Now if I could only get Olympus Viewer to work under Linux, I'd be happy.
    Cheers

Larry
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L II USM | EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM | EF 100-400 1:4.5-5.6 L IS | Speedlight 600EX-RT
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO | Panasonic LUMIX G Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH | Misc 4/3 lenses

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to do 6 minute shots, not just 6 second shots. I have plenty at over 30 seconds.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    I want to do 6 minute shots, not just 6 second shots. I have plenty at over 30 seconds.
    Hi Peter,
    I have another Peter that would take up the challenge out of curiousity to see how the E5 would compare with your D90 for a 6 min exposure & it would also be interesting to see how well the D7000 would do it too (if anybody has one). Here is the thread I used your comment in (hope you don't mind) to see what responses would come. *removed - refer to site rule: 9*

I'd like to see just how clean other recent cameras can do these long exposures too & how well they cope with it.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers
    Last edited by ricktas; 05-01-2011 at 2:00pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just purchased it (E5) from *removed - site rule breach - please read site rule : 19* . Haven't had time to test it thoroughly yet.
    Last edited by ricktas; 05-01-2011 at 1:58pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's great to hear & I hope you have lots of fun with it. I'm jealous. I think it is interesting (even amusing) how Canon have added some of the features of Olympus on their 60D with articulating screen, art filters & digital level meter. I've been enjoying those features on my E30 for a while.

What have you upgraded from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Upgraded from the E520 which I previously upgraded from the E330.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd buy another Oly DSLR when they can match the noise levels of even entry level Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony etc

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know where you have been or what information you are reading & from what sources because samples have been put up on the web of JPEGs (& RAW files) from the E5 in some places without any noise filtering applied to show how much improved it is without it & how clean it is when properly applied as you would for any other camera & the critics come out of the woodwork to run it down as much as they can citing those images as the end result. Thankfully, there are those that can apply some open minded appraisal/review of the camera from a few magazines & other web sites (so far) with some high praise for the E5. I wish I could get one.

Robin Wong has really shown how good the E5 is & has put a series together for the camera in his blog http://robinwong.blogspot.com/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should really enjoy that upgrade then & the heavier body might be noticable for a little while but you should get used to it & appreciate the ruggedness of it. I was really impressed with the move from my E520 to the E30 which I got because I couldn't wait for the next model to come when I could buy the E30 for $800 used early last year. I'll be looking forward to seeing some photos from your E5.

The E5 is really great with its weather proofing (I have the 14-54 II lens that is weather proof but that's all) but I wouldn't test it like Mark Humpage did in Iceland http://www.youtube.com/user/markhump.../0/SfxUHGziwgg

Enjoy, cheers
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 05-01-2011 at 10:55pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont read info about Oly as I have owned/used some in the past and can compare them to my pro and semi pro Canon/Nikon/Pentax bodies in the past - you know, my own experience from work and fun for clients and myself?

How often have you printed photos at 45x30 inch sizes? I do that weekly for clients, and sorry - as much as I am a fan of Oly - they wont be punching into that weight category for a while yet.

You seem to be a staunch supporter of Olympus but yet seem to lack extensive experience in other brands, or you could be an Oly rep.....I dont know.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just disappointed how much negative comments seem to come from Canikon users & criticism is usually based on past Oly models & comparing them to today's models from Canikon. The Oly E30 is a great camera (that I use) but now the E5 is even better with exceptional detail coming from the same sensor by using a much lighter AA filter & dealing with any moire affect with its JPEG engine & also much improved detail (as well as all the other improvements). If your looking for extreme high ISO performance then go & buy the other cameras, but if you want a very rugged, weather proof camera body to go with your Zuiko Digital Pro or Super Pro lenses, then this will bring out the best of those lenses. Obviously only those interested in this will bother to investigate it & I know it may not attract non Olympus users (well not many), but that's all about individuals choices. It's just sad that some people are ready to run down another brand without all the knowledge. It's a bit like saying, mine's bigger than yours.

No, I'm not any sort of sales rep at all, just someone who enjoys the features on the camera brand/model that I chose to go with.

Today Olympus has announced new consumer products with the EPL-2 micro 4/3s & a few P&S cameras with the top one having a Zuiko lens & accessories. Great for the bottom end of photography & the EPL-2 should produce the same quality as the E5 (if fitted with the same lenses). Check out Olympus Australia if interested.

I'm interested to know what the top end micro 4/3s model will be like when it is expected to be announced somewhere around March/April & then watch the other brands as they try to come with competing cameras. Remember, the other brands of camera makers have features in their new models that came from Olympus originally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
    I'm just disappointed how much negative comments seem to come from Canikon users & criticism is usually based on past Oly models & comparing them to today's models from Canikon. The Oly E30 is a great camera (that I use) but now the E5 is even better with exceptional detail coming from the same sensor by using a much lighter AA filter & dealing with any moire affect with its JPEG engine & also much improved detail (as well as all the other improvements). If your looking for extreme high ISO performance then go & buy the other cameras, but if you want a very rugged, weather proof camera body to go with your Zuiko Digital Pro or Super Pro lenses, then this will bring out the best of those lenses. Obviously only those interested in this will bother to investigate it & I know it may not attract non Olympus users (well not many), but that's all about individuals choices. It's just sad that some people are ready to run down another brand without all the knowledge. It's a bit like saying, mine's bigger than yours.

No, I'm not any sort of sales rep at all, just someone who enjoys the features on the camera brand/model that I chose to go with.

Today Olympus has announced new consumer products with the EPL-2 micro 4/3s & a few P&S cameras with the top one having a Zuiko lens & accessories. Great for the bottom end of photography & the EPL-2 should produce the same quality as the E5 (if fitted with the same lenses). Check out Olympus Australia if interested.

I'm interested to know what the top end micro 4/3s model will be like when it is expected to be announced somewhere around March/April & then watch the other brands as they try to come with competing cameras. Remember, the other brands of camera makers have features in their new models that came from Olympus originally.
    I am coming from a more professional background of using gear for work in demanding situations. So I let my actions speak louder than my words by posting up pics from the variety of cameras I use for work. Instead of staunchly defending Olympus every time, how about you show us more shots from your Oly cameras and lenses? Actions will always reverberate more loudly than....words on a forum.

On a side note, I have been there from the beginning with the Oly E1 and so on, and currently have a Pen and some Zuiko and Panasonic lenses, for fun.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    I am coming from a more professional background of using gear for work in demanding situations. So I let my actions speak louder than my words by posting up pics from the variety of cameras I use for work. Instead of staunchly defending Olympus every time, how about you show us more shots from your Oly cameras and lenses? Actions will always reverberate more loudly than....words on a forum.

On a side note, I have been there from the beginning with the Oly E1 and so on, and currently have a Pen and some Zuiko and Panasonic lenses, for fun.
    Yes, you're right. I have been "hiding my light under the bushel" so to speak & have mostly been posting my photos on a dedicated Olympus site, so I suppose that doesn't help the case for Olympus. I will post some of my interesting photos here as soon as I can sort them etc., as it does take time & I also have to keep my wife & family happy. In the mean time you can, if you're interested, check out my macro shot of a spider at night using a Sigma 150 macro lens & twin RC flashes with my Oly E30 camera here http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...y+spider+night

Cheers

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gees Ross, settle mate, in this thread I see only one "anti Oly" post so I wouldn't be calling it a "canikon' tirade.

Each to their own and people choose one brand over another for may reasons so if brand "O" isn't as well represented in the market place as brands "C", "N", "P" or "S" one must look at factors other than pure image quality that unbalance the playing field.
    First on the list must be advertising dollars spent to promote the brands ( a huge percentage of the consumer market are swayed by that ) and then service and support must be up to par for commercial users but we see on this forum and others excellent results from all brands of cameras so make like a duck with a drop of H2o on its back.

Don't let any brand comments spoil the enjoyment of YOUR photography.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Gees Ross, settle mate, in this thread I see only one "anti Oly" post so I wouldn't be calling it a "canikon' tirade.

Each to their own and people choose one brand over another for may reasons so if brand "O" isn't as well represented in the market place as brands "C", "N", "P" or "S" one must look at factors other than pure image quality that unbalance the playing field.
    First on the list must be advertising dollars spent to promote the brands ( a huge percentage of the consumer market are swayed by that ) and then service and support must be up to par for commercial users but we see on this forum and others excellent results from all brands of cameras so make like a duck with a drop of H2o on its back.

Don't let any brand comments spoil the enjoyment of YOUR photography.

Thanks mate. I've just become slightly defensive because of a few critics I've encountered & also some of the British magazines in the past have clearly demonstrated a bias against Olympus, citing features in the main two brands & those same features were in the Olympus model & were not mentioned but highlighted the shortcomings instead.

I need to get out & get more photos from around the Blue Mountains (& get fit), but I try to get bird shots around home & macro stuff as well. It's all fun.
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 07-01-2011 at 1:22am.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an owner and user of both Olympus (Pen E-P1) and Nikon (D90) cameras, and I think there are compelling reasons why the E-5 suits people with some decent Four Thirds lenses. It is no doubt the best Four Thirds camera and very capable. The problem is more to do with the pricing. It is more expensive that the Nikon D7000, Nikon D300s or Canon 60D. If have no bonds to any of these brands, and then make a list of pros and cons of each camera, what are you most likely to choose?

From a system perspective, where are the fast primes for this semi-pro camera? It is great that Olympus has some of the best and certainly fastest zooms available, and they are modestly priced too, but with no prospect of future lens development in Four Thirds for at least the time being, this must be a worry for the serious photographer who is likely to be entering into this segment of the market.

Just moving on, the E-PL2 looks very good indeed. I am surprised that it appears to have leapfrogged the E-P2 in a number of areas and has certainly made up for some of the major limitations of the E-PL1 such as no remote release and the lower top shutter speed. I use 1/4000s quite a lot with my Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95. Also nice is the dedicated magnify button (I believe) and the ability to reassign the movie on/off button to something else. The availability of the new 14-42 kit lens that now has internal focussing is another triple-plus. Yeah, you can now use Cokin filters successfully. The E-PL2 should be blindingly good value.

I am looking forward to an E-P3 announcement in a few months time. I expect they will up the LCD resolution again, maybe some weather sealing and I very much hope a move away from the Panasonic sensors. I can see myself upgrading later in the year.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Peter for those positive comments. The EPL-2 sounds like it could be a great secondary camera to have & also with the 14-150 lens, would be a good allround light camera to take when the DSLR is going to be too big & heavy for certain occasions. The 75-300 lens should be another great lens to have in the bag as well (when it's released). I am curious to know how well the add on fisheye, wide & macro lenses will work, but if (IF) they produce good results, could be a compact array of lenses. I wouldn't rush that until I was convinced it produced great results & the price was right. I guess we'll see. What am I saying? I won't be rushing anything because I have to hold off spending for a little while. I spent all my quota last year for a while (that's what my wife reckons anyhow). It's fun window shopping in the mean time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast