User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Camera straps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera straps

I know not to pick up my camera by the body when I have a heavy tele lens fitted so was wondering if its acceptable to carry the camera and lens around buy the strap around the neck. I have seen some photo hunters with two or three cameras fitted with large telephoto lens carried around their neck when chasing celebreties at airports or sporting venues and often wonder if it harms the camera body at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting question as some people say that holding a heavy lens (as I do) instead of the camera body is advisable because it takes the stress off the camera lens mount on the body ; then you see people with a camera fitted with a large lens hanging around their neck.

I don't know the answer to that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if the camera has a tripod collar, then use it! If it does not, then it's probably not very heavy. What are you quantifying as a heavy lens?? My Canon 70-200 f2.8L is a pretty massive, heavy chunk of glasss, and as such, has a tripod collar on the lens barrel. I have a Black Rapid R strap (do a google search) that attachs to a tripod screw. I'd suggest something like this for heavy lenses. It now all hangs at my side more or less level.
    I think a lot of the really massive lenses have their own neck straps anyway.
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Canon 100-400L series and a Sigma 50-500 and neither came with a strap for carring when mounted to the camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logic tells you if you have a heavy lens ie; 300 or 400 you would use the straps that come with the lens. I just think the camera body will not be able to support that kind of weight (Over a period of time). I will use my straps on my 70-200. My 300 & 400 I use my monopod.
    If you're looking for a good camera strap, try Crumpler's 'Industry Disgrace' camera strap... Extremely comfortable...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just bought the Canon 400 f2.8 and although it comes with it's own neck strap, it will never get used as the lens will
    always be set up from it's case, straight to the mono or the tripod, then back to it's case. There is no way I could swing that much lens off the 7D with
    the 7D neckstrap without doing some damage, I'm sure.
    I also have a Canon 70-200, but although I swing the 7D around my shoulder, I always have the lens supported in my left hand.
    My two bobs worth for what it's worth. Works for me anyway.
    cheers Kerro
    I shoot with Canon cameras and Canon and Sigma lenses and now a Mavic Pro too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is really depends on body and lens which is more heavy.I'd prefer hold the heavy one.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im with zed ex
    i use the r strap from black rapid with it attached to lens mount and it is as comfortable as can be
    i would not be holding a heavy lens by the body
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be the conventional wisdom - hold your rig by the heaviest part.