Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: question regarding 'public'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    No, the point is you didn't know or have experience of what you were talking about when it comes to permits and you confused the matter.
    I feel sorry for Matilda (OP) who asked a simple question and got a relevant answer (phone the Council). Informed opinion is fine but rather than uninformed answers a poll would have been better.
    How about you yourself read first post re being misleading. Where should I sendme1500 cheque for my wedding shoot ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevk View Post
    The other point to remember is that a wedding shoot is performed under some form of domestic agreement. It's not commercial work, it's domestic..... Now somebody please correct me' if I'm wrong!
    Of course there is no such thing as a "domestic" agreement. You have a contract or you don't and it doesn't really matter if you have an agreement or contract at all.
    Like I said earlier I've had a good deal of experience with the Moreton/Redcliffe council. You always need a permit and what you pay is entirely up to the Council when they assess the commercial value of your shoot. This is consistent with what William and I have said from the start.
    I don't know what people are trying to argue here? You need a permit, everyone agrees with that, even Kiwi. So phone the Council and ask and they will tell you if a fee is applicable. It doesn't get any simpler than that.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Longshots wrote
    Weddings & photo sessions on parks and foreshores
    A site booking is available for functions of short duration (up to 2 hours) such as wedding ceremonies and photo sessions

Longshots you also are misleading and as you say read the booklet as a little further you will see

Weddings and Photo Sessions on parks and foreshores
    Council does not charge a fee for these bookings. However depending on the scale and type of event, a refundable bond and park hire fee charges may apply. Approved applicants will be sent an assessment letter and invoices detailing the amounts to be levied (if any). Approvals will be provided via email where possible.

So if it was just a few photos on the beach or in the park and there were no signs prohibiting photography I'd go for it, anything more and it would pay to contact the relevant authority's
    My 2 cents worth,
    Keith.
    Keith

While it may entertain you to say I'm misleading, and in doing so attack me, please try doing some reading of what I actually said. I've said the same thing over and over again - Yes in answer to the OP question, you need a permit in the Moreton case, and in all cases ring the relevant authority.

Other than noting your opinion, you have indeed AGAIN, missed the facts. What I've tried to do, and continue doing so, despite many who seem to ignore passing on facts to answer the question, and despite receiving this type of response.

So where is the misleading ?
    Last edited by Longshots; 13-11-2010 at 12:44pm.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevk View Post
    The other point to remember is that a wedding shoot is performed under some form of domestic agreement. It's not commercial work, it's domestic..... Now somebody please correct me' if I'm wrong!
    The Other Point to remember ?

Correct you if you're wrong ?

What do you think I've been trying to do ?

This has already been claimed, and I've tried to explain that is incorrect.
    You are wrong. Again what experience do you have in this matter to guide someone on the point of wether a wedding is commercial or domestic ?

AGAIN if you'd bothered to READ this topic, I've already pointed out that incorrect comment from KIWI !!

The difference between Domestic and Commercial is something that you are confusing (UTTERLY !) between the issue of Copyright.

And if you'd also noticed, that the booklet in this case, CLEARLY states wedding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    The Other Point to remember ?

Correct you if you're wrong ?

What do you think I've been trying to do ?

This has already been claimed, and I've tried to explain that is incorrect.
    You are wrong. Again what experience do you have in this matter to guide someone on the point of wether a wedding is commercial or domestic ?

AGAIN if you'd bothered to READ this topic, I've already pointed out that incorrect comment from KIWI !!

The difference between Domestic and Commercial is something that you are confusing (UTTERLY !) between the issue of Copyright.

And if you'd also noticed, that the booklet in this case, CLEARLY states wedding.
    Well firstly William, that's why I asked someone to correct me if I was wrong, You could have pointed out my errors much more tactfully and without coming across as rude and arrogant....
    Living the dream...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just on this issue of what is commercial photography seems to be a moving feast of interpretation. Just this morning reading various articles by guys like nick rains their definition is at odds with various authorities. Once again it seems to be on the basis of individual interpretation as to whether commercial photography definition according to say an individua council is based on whether you are simply paid, or whether it's done for commercial use. Confusing to me anyhow and suspect to a lot of similar novices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I came across as rude and arrogant it may be down to the sheer frustration at trying to answer the OP's question, and to be constantly attacked for doing so.

Jasevk, that same question - which FWIW is actually unrelated, had been stated, not asked, already. I had attempted to correct the point then - and remember that its not a very large topic, so the point couldnt really be missed IMHO

And Kiwi, seriously mate, this is getting ridiculous, but this isnt about commercial usage, this is an answer to the OP's question. And again referring back to the information gained from the phone calls and the booklet, and my experience - facts are that you need a permit - end of story. Commercial usage of any understanding or argument simply does not come into it as far as Moreton Bay Council is concerned. I'm seriously trying to pass on that info, but if everyone is going to argue what they would like life to be, I cant really help.

The commercial usage/argument is a different apple in the situation of paying for a permit. Again you need to understand what AFA is all about, its not asking for a permit, but against paying for that privilege to the access.

And just for the record, and I do wish I could add a poll miday through a topic (happy for someone to do this if they can).

How many of you have ever applied for a permit for photography ?
    How many of you have ever bothered to find out if you need one, prior to this topic?
    How many of you charge people for their photography (even just for the print costs), where you are taking them out and about, in areas that are, like this case, public, and understand about the issue of public liablity ?
    Last edited by Longshots; 13-11-2010 at 1:22pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No
    yes
    Yes (that part alone in the application forms would knock most potential applications out I'd imagine)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On, I wasn't taking about afa's position but an article written by nick rains some time ago where he was differentiating a commercial photographer (taking photos for commercial use, eg advertising) as opposed to a professional photographer (taking photos as paid by a client or for profit via private sale) versus amatuer/tourist. Anyway, enough on that I suspect. A topic for another day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its probably an excellent topic, and quite a complex one, but doesnt answer the OP's question.

Why not start another topic ? The only trouble is that even when its related to permits, the issue is treated differently with every council or managing authority I can think of, so its unlikely to be a satisfying discussion - ie without a conclusion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    If I came across as rude and arrogant it may be down to the sheer frustration at trying to answer the OP's question, and to be constantly attacked for doing so.

Jasevk, that same question - which FWIW is actually unrelated, had been stated, not asked, already. I had attempted to correct the point then - and remember that its not a very large topic, so the point couldnt really be missed IMHO

How many of you charge people for their photography (even just for the print costs), where you are taking them out and about, in areas that are, like this case, public, and understand about the issue of public liablity ?
    Good points to think about... Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets just keep it on topic guys without getting personal! Thanks

An honest C+C please!

"I started life with nothing and I still have most of it left"

Nikon D300
    Photoshop CS4 Extended

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah sorry about that... Apologies to William

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're all cool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm and I thought a public school was private property....... ya know owned by the education department......thats why they have big fences and you have to go to the office and get a sticker in school hours.......after hours ya get aressted for trespass.......at least ya do round here!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thread closed due to wording of posts. Keep it civil or I will start issuing bans
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123