User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Time for a tripod, but which one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time for a tripod, but which one?

Hi all folks, Im looking to get a tripod for christmas. I have acsess to tripods at cost price where I work. The Haldex and Inca stuff seems flimsy. We also have acsess to Slik which seems quite good.
    Does any one have any experience with the Slik products or any other brands they would recomend.

Also does anybody have advice on a good cleaning kit

Cheers Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea to get a Tripod. Lucky you, getting at cost. Have a think about what you will do with it in the future, ie, low level macro shots, large heavy teles, etc. Then source one for your needs. They are as different as can be. I'm sure you will find a good Slik model to fulfill your needs.
    As for a cleaning kit. I think it is best to buy what you need bit by bit. Lint free cloth and wipes, cotton buds, cleaning fluid and a good blower. Do not get the aerosole can type blowers as I have heard that they can spray chemical into your camera. Best of luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally have a inca tripod and it is actually pretty good for what I use it for. It has the hook underneath that can hang some weights from to help keep it more stable.
    Cheers Craig
    life is like a video some moments are worth capturing other parts need deleting or editing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My most used Tripod is an embarresment, Cost $ 45, 4 or 5 years ago !! The bottom legs are seized in from use in Salt water, So I always go for the low POV !! , The other Tripod is very sturdy, It weighs 8 kg , Made of timber and brass, With a Linhoff ball head , Not good for lugging around , From what I hear Slik are good , Good to get stuff at cost
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was actually one of the items for which I went to a pro shop and spent a good bit of time discussing what was best. I have a couple of crap tripods; they came with the camera but I have never used those for other than holding an off camera flash. First thing to ask is how you will feel if one of legs collapses and $XXXX worth of camera comes crashing down onto the concrete. I have no brand affinity but where ever you are shopping get a good feel for the locking mechanisms and stability. You also need to consider whether you are going to lug it around on your back, in which case it had better be lightweight, possibly carbon fibre (expensive).

I have a couple of Manfrottos. They are heavy, but I am very happy to hang any camera in portrait orientation, without even thinking its going to drop off. Just never happens. Other decent brands will afford equal confidence. I am sure Slik has some decent kit. Lucky you for having access to wholesale!

berni
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The slik 700DX seems to be recommended - and reasonably priced.

cleaning kit - get one of those rocket blower things if you haven't got one already?
    ^ I've got one of those kits from Giottos with the things mentioned by PH005: http://www.giottos.com/CL.htm seems to work fine.
    Last edited by infl3xion; 11-11-2010 at 1:59pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice folks, I couldnt wait for the boss to order in some of the Slik tripods. So ended up getting one of the higher end Inca ones that arived while I was away(I531 is the model).
    It seems much sturdier than any of the other models we have had in, and has a ball joint.

I just have a few questions regarding using a tripod, What does it mean when it says that it has semi automatic leg angle adjustment, also are there any general tips or conventions for tripod use?

Cheers Dan