User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: So... from a RAW file, what is the correct steps (in LR3) to bring a under EV image back 2 life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... from a RAW file, what is the correct steps (in LR3) to bring a under EV image back 2 life

So many questions today... sorry guys - but I couldn't find a more quality bunch of people else where to ask my rather rookie questions (to assure the information I am receiving are actually have quality)

largely referring to the following thread, which I agree with kiwi that they are under exposed.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ing-type-shots

I actually shot them in raw and I don't think I have under exposed more than 3 stops (correct me if I am wrong).

So I guess there are still a lot of ground I can save from the raw file.

(In LR3) I have try to set the exposure value to + side and I also try to use the split tone thing on the contrast - but they looks rather weird. So I come to the conclusion that - I KNOW NOTHING about LR3

So, my question is: what would be the correct steps to bring all these under exposed images back to life again, in LR3?

Really looking forward to you solution while I am learning. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the ones posted out of camera ?

It's nowhere near three stops, more like 1/2 to one stop if that....in LR increase 1/2 stop using the exposure slider and then increase brightness a little, clarity a little, bump in some contrast, and see how that looks. They are not far off.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andy, I think if you add any +ve exposure compensation to those images, you;re going to blow them out.

Use the histogram (primarily)to determine the exposure value of an image.
    Looking at the histograms of each of those three images in the link, I'd don't think any of those need exposure recovery on a global scale. maybe a spot of brightness here and there, but not on the entire image. If you use exposure compensation in the way you ask here, the highlights will definitely blow out.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think arthurking is right. On the second photo you might want to add a GND to the top-left corner and increase EV there but not for the entire image. You can also play with the "fill light" slider and see if that brings out some shadow detail
    Craig