FWIW I'll share two wet camera moments.

About 4 years ago while snorkelling near our over-water bungalow in Tahiti with an old Canon 300D, its underwater housing leaked while the camera was in use.
Back in the bungalow, I removed the battery, sponged off salt water traces, dried as thoroughly as possible and put the camera in its backpack with several silica gel packs.
Next day, it gave no error messages and was back in business. Back in Oz I had it serviced by a camera tech and it is still performing well for my son.

About 2 years ago I was in northern Svalbard ( High Arctic) photographing polar bears and walruses with what I thought was a well shrouded 40D. The conditions changed
to windy-snowy-sleety and the camera yelled "Error 99". Back in the warm air conditioned cabin on our ship, I dried it as best I could and set it aside for a day's airing.
Next day, it was back in service and captured some magnificent images during the next few weeks. After this good performance, I did not have it serviced when I came home
and it sat unused for a month. At its next outing it was back to the "Error 99" message. Thank heaven for insurance as it needed surgery in Sydney! It continues to perform well
as a backup crop-factor body.

Both scenarios bear out Rick's advice: (a) don't turn it on / get the battery out ; (b) dry the equipment as best you can ; (c) place the equipment in the best moisture-absorbing environment available at the time. If it is cost effective, have the gear checked out by a reputable camera tech asap; otherwise, use it as an excuse to upgrade to new equipment.