User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New kit big lens choice (300-400mm)

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Daniel, Not sure if this mob canhelp you or not, came across link by accident. http://www.sydneylensrental.com/index.html

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks roosta, i did find them in my google search. unfortunately they have 1 canon lens for hire.
    theres a few other places i found also, but none of them have many big lenses, i found one with the canon 100-400, but thats it.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out - Bill Hicks

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When and if you try out the 100-400 let me know what you think, please. I will be getting something in the longer focal length my self in the not to distant future. My son plays rugby, the 70-200 F2.8 I have is good, and have recently got myself the Kenko 1.4 Teleconvertor, it will now reach 280mm at F4, so not to bad, but would like the next step up. I wont need it as fast as it sounds you would like, to get the shot of the rider clear on the bike must take some steady hands and some practice.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have had a brief play with the canon 100-400 before, not enough for detailed analysis though.
    they seem to get high reviews from everyone, great all round zoom lens, the question i guess is if its worth $900 more than the sigma equivalent.

5.6 isnt bad either at 400mm, the stabiliser seems to be fairly good. not a huge fan of the push pull zoom though.

and yeah, bikes are bloody hard to get right, they are seriously fast.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daniel, Just checked out this http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/...idProduct=1957, will be price matched in Australia by a C R Kennedy authorised Sigma Australia outlet. As you say, $900.00 cheaper. Well worth a look. Also on same page is the new http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/...idProduct=2867, still a close Fstop 4.5 - 6.3 but better focal distance, still cheap when you can get price matching in oz, also add to that internal focus, no lens creep which would be an issue with canon, also the secondary ring for zoom operation Tight - Easy comes into play. Got me thinking now...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Roosta, good to know someone will price match.
    I dont expect retail stores to 'match' grey market prices, but if they could get close, i would buy locally, right now, a lot of stuff is outrageous at retail stores, especially since the US dollar is so high.
    Ill check out C R Kennedy, ill be buying about 2 or 3 new lenses over the next few months.

Im pretty sure ill go for the sigma 120-400, its sooooo close to the canon for IQ anyway, and ill spend the extra money on some more glass.
    The 50-500 isnt bad either, but i just dont need that kind of range on an apsc chip, it is a bit more expensive and heavier as well.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel5600 View Post
    Thanks Roosta, good to know someone will price match.
    I dont expect retail stores to 'match' grey market prices, but if they could get close, i would buy locally, right now, a lot of stuff is outrageous at retail stores, especially since the US dollar is so high.
    Ill check out C R Kennedy, ill be buying about 2 or 3 new lenses over the next few months.

Im pretty sure ill go for the sigma 120-400, its sooooo close to the canon for IQ anyway, and ill spend the extra money on some more glass.
    The 50-500 isnt bad either, but i just dont need that kind of range on an apsc chip, it is a bit more expensive and heavier as well.
    Called them yesterday, and was a little suprised, called my local shop here in Perth, and they had a lens advertised for the aussie price, I mentioned that I had read the price match from CR Kennedy and had a price of DWI, My Perth shop matched on the spot.

Well worth asking the question mate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12