User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question of bad form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How very strange. After reading this thread yesterday, I went to have a bbq dinner/pre wedding meeting with my sister (to whom I am being the 'paid' photographer at her wedding - ie. not paid, rather my wedding gift to her, but still the main 'tog). And she has warned me that one of her friends is bringing her younger brother who is an aspiring amateur photographer. But she thinks her friend has told him that she will buy prints off him etc and he wants to talk to her about the kinds of shots she wants...err hang on a sec bud, you're a guest, not a second shooter!!
    I have also asked that she get me his contact details so I can have a word with him also. Not that I am ultra experienced or super pro yet myself, but A) i'm the main tog and will be taking more of a documentary approach so would be easy for him to ruin shots etc and B) it's my sisters wedding so I especially don't want any distractions.
    I hope he is reasonable when I get to speak to him. I'm happy for him to also take pictures, or even tag along with me, but I hope it's not a disaster.
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well GC Flora, think Zedex has just explained why.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcflora View Post
    The more I think about this the more I think "who cares what the paid photographer thinks" (sorry Zeke, and I do agree with your points)
    That's a lovely (and all too common) mantra to live by.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    There are plenty of gear heads out there with $20K of gear, who take nothing better than a facebook snap.
    Unfortunately the same can be said for some "professionals".

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    That's a lovely (and all too common) mantra to live by.
    And that's the way it should be.
    What the pro photographer thinks is of little consequence in the scheme of entire event!
    What is going to be much more important, is what the bride and groom THINKS. If the pro photographer can't live by a set of requirements that the bride/groom want, then they should get out of the business!... or stop pretending to be a PRO photographer.

To the OP... just do your best to not interfere with the photographer.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said, Zeke, I agree with your points. I agree especially with your points about the volunteer being potentially associated with you and their actions potentially influencing your professionalism, whether right or wrong. I understand that the "public" might not be able to differentiate between you and a non-associated volunteer. I understand and appreciate your concerns that this may reflect upon you.

But, I stand by my statement. I cannot be responsible for how you think. In general I cannot influence how you think or act. So, what I was saying was I should not care about what or how you think. I am not a magician. You will think what you want to. You will act how you want to. I have little or no control over that. Why worry myself about what you think? Hence my assertion "who cares what the paid photographer thinks". If I spent all my time worrying about what other people think I'd get nothing done. I don't set out to hurt peoples' feelings or "make them angry" but if that's their reaction then it has nothing to do with me.
    Last edited by gcflora; 07-11-2010 at 9:13pm.
    Craig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it the definition of selfish not caring what anyone else thinks ? Of course you can influence what somebody thinks....certainly about you or your actions I would have thought.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Isn't it the definition of selfish not caring what anyone else thinks ? Of course you can influence what somebody thinks....certainly about you or your actions I would have thought.
    If you read what I said Darren, you would see that I do care what other people think. What I can't do is control what they think and that I cannot be responsible for what they think.
    Last edited by gcflora; 07-11-2010 at 9:23pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. I must be still reading it wrong, but, that's ok...been a long day

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just stay out of the way and out of the line of sight of the paid tog

Worst case I have had involved turning up to find the bride has told a friend she can shoot too, so I was fine about it at first as I am not precious about that, can't really worry as there are so many cameras going all day, but after having to manoeuvre around her continually throughout the day, sometimes bringing my arm down hitting her camera .... her gear was not good and the focus assist beam left horrendous green square patterns on a few of my images... that was bad form but if you are a bit more aware it shouldn't matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing that could impede the main tog from doing his job is if people who should be looking at him are looking at you... So make sure the bridal party know that you don't want them looking at you while the main tog is shooting, or if that doesn't work keep your camera down while they are shooting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    And that's the way it should be.
    What the pro photographer thinks is of little consequence in the scheme of entire event!
    What is going to be much more important, is what the bride and groom THINKS. If the pro photographer can't live by a set of requirements that the bride/groom want, then they should get out of the business!... or stop pretending to be a PRO photographer.
    You'll have to forgive me for assuming that the most important photographer at any given event is the one who has actually been paid to be there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    You'll have to forgive me for assuming that the most important photographer at any given event is the one who has actually been paid to be there.
    dont be silly... the most important tog there is the guy with the 6230 Nokia phine wanting to get the B and G at the altar... cos its just what your doing...

sorry my sarcasam type just aint working atm...

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did this once at a friends wedding
    Was told in no uncertain terms to hop it by the pro photographer
    I had got my shots so was happy to step back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12