User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: which lens for.......a family in the paddock shot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which lens for.......a family in the paddock shot

I have an UW......a 55mm ......and 2 zooms one 35-70 and the other 35-105 (manual) and a kit 18 to 55 .....and I cant decide which lens to use.......think family jumping up in the crop late afternoon probably.........its a great looking crop and harvest is starting the 18th I think.......so will have to before before then.
    Thats if I can round them all up by then!
    Would the UW at say 20mm cause too much distortion with people? I have really only used it for houses , cars and landscape stuff.
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    umm...I'm assuming your '55mm' ultrawide is a typo?
    What exactly are you asking? The situation will decide what you will use? An ultrawide is good if you want to get a big smack of landscape in your shot or want to get some weird distortion effects, but not at all flattering and not something I would use for a family shoot. I'd use whichever lens resists flare the best, so you can shoot into the setting sun and get some nice dreamy pics. But then, this is me, and doesn't relate to the focal length. I'd use the 35-70 (image quality aside as I have no idea how good or bad this lens is).

Quote Originally Posted by ricstew View Post
    I have an UW......a 55mm ......and 2 zooms one 35-70 and the other 35-105 (manual) and a kit 18 to 55 .....and I cant decide which lens to use.......think family jumping up in the crop late afternoon probably.........its a great looking crop and harvest is starting the 18th I think.......so will have to before before then.
    Thats if I can round them all up by then!
    Would the UW at say 20mm cause too much distortion with people? I have really only used it for houses , cars and landscape stuff.
    cheers
    Jan
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedEx View Post
    umm...I'm assuming your '55mm' ultrawide is a typo?
    I think she means that she has an ultrawide and a 55mm ...
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaela View Post
    I think she means that she has an ultrawide and a 55mm ...
    ohhhh haha I see now. All good all good.
    Well my above advice still stands, thought maybe take the 55mm out as well for some shallow DoF

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one with a bid aperture so you can blur the bg a bit I assume this would be the 55mm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont just stick with one lens, if you don't want to change lenses you might as well use a P&S....take all of them...change them to suit the shot you are after or the scene.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys........I will probably take them all anyway but I wondered if the UW (10-24) would work.........if I was after some good shots of the crop with family in the middle. Its pretty good with flare with the hood on. the 35-70 ( which should read 28-70...2.8.... ) is very sharp but I havent used it outside much yet. I dont know much about it ability with flare. I would use it for close ups.........
    now if the rain would only ping off so I can go outside and try this weekend I would be a happy camper!
    cheers
    Jan