User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11

Thread: LOST: The Tripod Out-takes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOST: The Tripod Out-takes

I was out taking photos on Monday and unfortunately I wandered off without my tripod (it didn't have my camera on it, I put it down to take a shot). By the time I realised this 30 minutes later I went back and it was gone...quite an expensive, and very stupid, mistake.

Have put up a notice in the area as I'm fairly sure some people exercising near where I was taking photos saw me wander off without it. Am hoping someone calls, but in the meantime I guess it's time to start looking at options for a replacement.

I had the 190XPROB with the 488RC2 ball-head. Am currently looking at the 055XPROB as a replacement, but have also seen a couple of carbon fibre tripods from Benro for a reasonable price. Can't really afford to go for the really expensive models at the moment, and as it seems the 055XPROB is a bit taller than a cheaper carbon fibre tripod I thought that might be the best option.

These are the carbon fibre models I saw online here in Korea:

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challen...est_group_no=1

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challen...est_group_no=1

Also thought of getting the 498RC2 Ball-head as a replacement, but also saw the Markins Q3 for $245 and the Gitzo G1178M for $173, so could possibly push for one of these.

If anyone has any other suggestions for decent ball-head and tripod combination for between $300 - $450 that'd be great!

Will also be looking at getting a bag I can physically attach my tripod to so I don't have to carry it and put it down to take photos when I'm not using it.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benro are supposed to be very good and a good price. Google that.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the benro travel angel and love it. paid $250 (incl ball head).. highly recommend

check this review http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=879433

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 055XProB + 498RC2 combo and I love it, although it's the first proper tripod I've had so I have nothing to compare to. Apparently the 498 is the replacement model for the 488.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have the 055XPROB and 498RC2 combo and am happy with it. It is quite heavy though and may not be suitable for trekking through the wilderness with. I am just over 6 foot tall and do not have to bend at all to use it. This set up is too big to attach to my Lowepro Slingshot bag which has a tripod holder. You can get a combination like this on Ebay delivered for under $350.
    Canon 500D.....EFS 18-55 - EFS 55-250
    Hoya Filters

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the q3 second hand? That's a really good price. I have the 488RC2 and the mark ins M10, and the mark ins is in a completely different league.

Hope someone calls you with good news soon
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------
    Olympus OM-1, EM-1, Canon 5DMkII, and a few other bits and bobs

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have one more question re: the carbon fibre tripods - I've noticed, amongst other things, that one of the variables that changes in relation to the price of the tripod is its height. Is this something I should be overly concerned about? I'm not ridiculously tall, about 180cm.

Oh, and Alan, the Q3 is new as far as I know - this is the link to the online site: http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challen...est_group_no=1. It says it's the Q3-Q, not sure if that's a different ball-head again.

This was the Gitzo: http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challen...est_group_no=1

Just checked again, and the Q3 Emille is $250 at the same site...it looks a bit different to the one above. Doesn't have the flip-lock thing.

Thanks for the well wishes re: the tripod too. I'm hoping it turns up to save me some money!
    Last edited by sonofcoco; 04-11-2010 at 1:45am.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know David on here has a Benro and is happy with it, looks to be a good sturdy one from what I have seen.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofcoco View Post
    I have one more question re: the carbon fibre tripods - I've noticed, amongst other things, that one of the variables that changes in relation to the price of the tripod is its height. Is this something I should be overly concerned about? I'm not ridiculously tall, about 180cm.
    I wouldn't think this was an issue. My 055XProB, extended to its tallest possible position, stands tall enough to put the camera *way* above my head, in fact by reaching up I can only just reach the shutter. I'm about 5'6". Wouldn't imagine CF models would be too much shorter in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should try and get one that comes in at eye level without having to extend the center post for best stability. Im 186 cm and the 055XPROB is just right for me. Its better if you don't have to keep bending over, but if that doesn't bother you then you can get a shorter one. On top of the tripod height you can add the height of the head and the camera to bring it up to eye level which could be another 20 - 25 cm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had narrowed it down to the O55XPROB...then someone mentioned Feisol! haha

Has anyone had any experience with these tripods?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost bought one, having read all the reviews. I don't think you can go wrong with them.
    The only reason I didn't get one was because I got a good price on a gitzo 2541...

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I'm halfway through the same exercise, new tripod and head.

I went with the 055CXPRO3 because of the light weight and good price I got.

The same seller has the 055XPROB for $AU208.99 @ http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Manfrotto-Bog...item3ef6b811af

I also did lots of research on the Feisol tripods, and they seem fairly well regarded on the various forums I checked.

Your choice of head is dependent of how much weight you are going to put on it. I'd like the Q3 but my maximum load, about 2.5Kgs, is, according to Markins, borderline for the Q3.
    The above seller has the Q3 for $AU216.97 @ http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Markins-Q-3-Q...item3f002eb301

I'm probably going to get the Markins Q10 which will carry the weight of a larger lens than my current 300 f4 prime. I didn't see a bad report on any of the Markins heads.
    I'll be getting the screw type quick release clamp, locks tighter and eliminates the chance of accidental release you have with a lever type.

Looked at the 498RC2 because I have plates to match but found a lot of comments about the safety lock on it. Apparently you need two hands to release it and then have to grab your camera before it drops. Maybe someone above who has one can give you some info on this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    Looked at the 498RC2 because I have plates to match but found a lot of comments about the safety lock on it. Apparently you need two hands to release it and then have to grab your camera before it drops. Maybe someone above who has one can give you some info on this.
    Not at all. The 498 has a safety lock, but it's trivially easy to actuate both levers with your thumb in one movement. It has never bothered me in the slightest, nor have I feared for my camera's safety in removing it from the tripod.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    Hi

I'm halfway through the same exercise, new tripod and head.

I went with the 055CXPRO3 because of the light weight and good price I got.

The same seller has the 055XPROB for $AU208.99 @ http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Manfrotto-Bog...item3ef6b811af

I also did lots of research on the Feisol tripods, and they seem fairly well regarded on the various forums I checked.

Your choice of head is dependent of how much weight you are going to put on it. I'd like the Q3 but my maximum load, about 2.5Kgs, is, according to Markins, borderline for the Q3.
    The above seller has the Q3 for $AU216.97 @ http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Markins-Q-3-Q...item3f002eb301

I'm probably going to get the Markins Q10 which will carry the weight of a larger lens than my current 300 f4 prime. I didn't see a bad report on any of the Markins heads.
    I'll be getting the screw type quick release clamp, locks tighter and eliminates the chance of accidental release you have with a lever type.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info, I was looking at the Markins Q3 because on their website it said the maximum load was 30kg, which should be way above what I need for a long time. It seems much higher than similar sized ballheads. But you mentioned 2.5kgs, which is a lot less. Which is the real maximum load?

Have looked at the M10 too, but think it's just a little out of my price range at the moment. The biggest lens I have is the 70-200mm f4, although I am thinking about the 24-70mm f2.8L which might be heavier. I was assuming the Q3 would handle the weight of these plus a 40D.

The problem with the tripods is there's always another one to consider that's 'only' another $50-100 haha

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at this website for some head rating for the Q3.

https://www.ppsna.com/product_info.p...roducts_id/524

In the interests of future proofing my new head, I've decided to get either the Markins Q10 or the Acratech Ultimate.

Cheers

Kevin