User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Nikon camera warranty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon camera warranty

I just bought my first slr, a Nikon D3000. According to the manual if I use non-Nikon products I *may* void the warranty. Most people I know use different brand lenses, does this void the warranty?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, not unless it causes the damage, ie is a proximate cause.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From my understanding this relates to attaching things to your camera that are not supposed to be attached. Not things like Sigma lenses that come in Nikon Mounts, but rather where people 'make' their own devices to attach to their camera.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think it would also include electronic items like non-Nikon batteries or flashes, if the camera's electronics are damaged.
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidd View Post
    I would think it would also include electronic items like non-Nikon batteries or flashes, if the camera's electronics are damaged.
    That it would. In this respect, it is wise to only send a camera off for warranty repairs with only genuine items included. For things like lenses, most SLR's record the details of each lens used, so they would probably be able to find out if one was used. Having said that, I've never had a non-genuine-item-used warranty knockback before so who knows.
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the thoughts. The manuel is very specific about non-Nikon brand filters, but a little vague with the rest. I think I'm going to stick to Nikkor lenses until the warranty of the camera has run out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, it would be things like batteries, cable releases, grips, etc. that are more likely going to cause you the most problems. however, there will be many people who will say they have used all those things with no problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by super duper View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts. The manuel is very specific about non-Nikon brand filters, but a little vague with the rest. I think I'm going to stick to Nikkor lenses until the warranty of the camera has run out
    I think you are being way overcautious...some retailers even sell kits that have nikon bodies with 3rd party lenses etc

There's no way in my opinion that using say a sigma lens will void your camera body warranty, even if they could tell

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are being way overcautious
    Mate, with my luck you have to be! I need extended warranties on everything, or it'll break for sure. I've learnt the hard way I need to dot my i's and cross my t's.