User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Motorcycle & Photography cases

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motorcycle & Photography cases

This may be a strange request, but I've just purchased a 1984 BMW R65LS Motorcycle so that's taken up my time for the last few weeks. What I want to do is take Photo Gear with me in the Panniers. The Pelican type case would seem to be way to go & I've noticed these Adorama's & others on the net reviewed http://www.photographyreview.com/pls_3123crx.aspx

But maybe someones got some specific success with MotorCycles. (Pictures will be forthcoming of this gorgeous machine)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pelican cases are the bees knees....but would they fit on a bike, I dunno
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only prospect of fitting a Pelican is as a top box. I have an R1150RT and the panniers are not even close to water/dirt proof. I wouldn't even put my camera gear in a side pannier if it was wrapped in waterproof bags etc. You can always use a back pack or a tank bag, I use both and the large tankbag (Bagtser) has a great rain cover. I took my D700 - 70-300 +charger, SB-900, CF cards on a trip to the snowies earlier this year using only the tank bag, and it was fine, just put a small towel in the bag to sit the gear on for some padding.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The operative word in whatever you choose is 'padding', lots.

I'm still smarting over losing 7 x 36 shot rolls of exposed film because something weird happened to my old AV1 in my topbox. Well actually they weren't exposed, but the film was winding on and letting me think they were. But I now have a bloody good excuse to do the west coast again.

To be truthful I take my 8Mp Canon P & S in my pocket when on the bike.

Cheers

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up until July this year I ALWAYS carried my camera with me on the bike. That camera is a smallish Panasonic FZ5 which just fitted where ever I put it. Now days I have a Canon DSLR plus stuff and keep it all in a Lowepro Nova 190 AW shoulder bag. This bag measures approx 300mm long x 220mm deep and 230mm high and fits easily in my top box (Harley Davidson Ultra Classic). I mostly still take my Panasonic because "A" - I don't want to risk carting my good gear around with me on the bike and "B" - because it takes up less room. My wife and I are doing the Snowy Ride this coming weekend and because it is only a one night stop over and we won't have much luggage to take, I will take the DSLR. The only thing I make sure of is that the camera bag (and contents) do not bounce around while in the top box. I just put a jumper or something on top of it to keep it from moving. Earlier this year we did a 14,000 km trip around Australia and took the Panasonic of course, and when (not if) we do it again I would have to take the same camera again (or similar sized) because of space commitments.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Fellas.

I might have a look at a Pelican type that will slip into a pannier for weekend trips. I don't think I'l be taking the R65 LS around Oz; the Bandit 1250 might be better for that excersize. We'll see.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jibbonpoint View Post
    Thanks Fellas.

I might have a look at a Pelican type that will slip into a pannier for weekend trips. I don't think I'l be taking the R65 LS around Oz; the Bandit 1250 might be better for that excersize. We'll see.
    My 1200 Bandit did the 22,000 Ks without a hiccup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a LowPro Slighshot backpack (102 AW) which has its own raincoat, and also has a side entry for quick access to the camera.
    it would be fair enough to say that I only a small amout of equipment (one pentax k7 & 2 lenses) and ride solo.
    It also fits into my saddlebag (without fource) and I can still access to camera from there.
    I recently did a trip from Melb to Syd (11 hrs each way) with it, and yes it did rain a litle, nothing got wet or damp.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, fella's. Now I know what works, I can work out what suits.

If I come up with anything brilliant, I'll advise. I don't like riding with a backpack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like Kevin said.....lots of padding. I also take my wife`s p and s in a zipped pocket when on the bike. Rarely do I take the slr. I had a R100 way back and would not hesitate in taking the R65 around oz if it was all up to speed/serviced correctly. They are a great bike.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I know this is a bit old - but I rode a BMW GS1150R around Australia 2 years ago - 50% was offroad - in fact i pushed my bike through crocodile infested rivers up in NT. I used a bagstar tank bag which i filled with dense foam I bought from Clarke Rubber. I then cut the foam for my 1DMKII with a lens and then a 100-400 next to it. It was always handy and I could stop my bike, grab the camera out, lift my helmet and start shooting away.

Here was my set up

www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good set up. I've mainly used backpacks for short trips but i'll be giving your idea a shot

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike's a work in progress at the moment; I've had to reco the Cylinders & Heads; now I've got a fuel problem. Arrghhhhh!

Anyway, I did get a Joby Gorillapod for Christmas & purchased the Joby head later. I've only used it a couple of times but it will be a "winner" on the bike. I tend to take my tripod everywhere I take the camera.