Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Spyder3 express

Sanctuary Point - 2 hours south of Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spyder3 express

Finally got around to getting a monitor calibrator. Now that I have calibrated the monitor what do I do with the Spyder 3 Express hardware. Do I unplug it and store it away until I do the next calibration?
    Brian

My two pet hates are male chauvanists and women who won't do as they are told

Canon 60D - Canon 17-40mm f4 L USM - Canon 70 - 200mm F4 L IS USM - CANON 24-105MM f4 IS USM - Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash - Lightroom 4.4 - Photo Elements 11 ****

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do that, or leave it connected to take ambient light readings (assuming the express does that - My elite does) and it will tell you when it needs re-calibration.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Brian

It's okay mate - if you go for more than 28 days between recalib's, it'll give you a small popup reminding you to get a glass of chardonnay and sit back while it does its stuff

Regards, phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - put it back in the box (if you can work out how it goes back it - damn stupid packaging!) and then take it out when you need to re-calibrate.
    The Express does not do ambient light measuring (at least mine doesn't). Also to can set the time period between re-calibration's.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally don't like the Spyder software.
    I have the Elite version(because I have two monitors to calibrate) .. and by comparison to BasICColor display(v4pointsomething)... Spyder's software sucks!

You can leave it connected Brian, it doesn't take up any resources, other than a USB port. If you need that port for another device, then remove it and tuck the Spyder away safely into a desk drawer or something.
    I found that the ambient light feature was not really useful as a warning, I think on Macs, it may automagically adjust screen brightness to compensate, but that's because Macs have software screen adjustability, whereas Windows doesn't.
    (that's how I'm reading the feature lists.. I may be wrong on the Mac technicals, as I don't have one).
    So for normal use, you won't see any benefit in having the Spyder connected and telling you the bleeding obvious.. that the light conditions have changed!

The light meter is handy for the software to guessitmate and recommend a good screen brightness setting, based on the current ambient light level.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Sanctuary Point - 2 hours south of Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice everyone...Phil, I think I would prefer a nice Shiraz.