User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: ND Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ND Filters

I'm looking at purchasing a couple of filters to go with the 15-85mm lens on my 7D. I will generally only be using them for waterfalls, etc. Would a ND4 and a CPL be sufficient?

Just after a couple of suggestions on which ones to buy. Any links would be appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi crum,

I'd recommend an ND8 rather than ND4 - it will give you the option of longer exposure times which you'll want for waterfalls.

As far as the CPL goes, I just bought a 72mm "Hoya Super Pro 1" CPL for my 15-85 lens last Saturday. Discount Digital Photographics have them on sale at the moment for $110 which isn't a bad price!

Cheers,
    Stephen
    Canon 50D; EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 70-200mm f/4L USM; EF 35mm f/2; Tamron 90mm macro

My flickr photostream

CC welcome on any of my images!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crum,

I'm with Stephen with the ND8 a filter gives you a couple of stops for waterfalls and also will give you a few more options on brighter days. I have a ND400 (9 stops) and I use this more than my Cokin filters but that's what I'm experimenting with at the moment.

Grab a CPL you will always find a use for it.

As for the links. Try http://www.filtershop.com.au/

Or, Google and search AP for any tips and tricks
    Jase

Comments and critique always welcome.

Flickr

Stuff Canon 5D MK II, Canon 30d, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100mm Macro, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 17-70mm

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the replies. The Hoya Super Pro 1 CPL sounds like the go then.

What about the ND8. Any suggestions on which one to get as there is soooooo many options

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same one
    get a Pro1 kenko or hoya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jase for the link

I have just bought a 10-22 Canon lens and need to get a ND8 filter,I think DDP has them for $50 at present (77 mm)

I have seen StephenM's outstanding images using the ND8 looks like the way to go.

Anyone Know much a bout graduation filters? Might look into that set up for 'Just on Dusk' photos.

I have been told HDR is the way to handle all the different lighting aspects,so will have ago with that too.

But,I like to try and do as much as possible 'in camera'

Sorry OP,for asking questions on your thread!

Cheers FB
    Canon 50D and 450D - Canon 10-22 F3.5-5.6, 17-55 F2.8 L, 70-200 F2.8 L, 400 prime F5.6 L, 60mm F2.8 macro, EX 430 Flash,and all sorts of other bits and pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FB, good price for 77mm

graduation filters I think are mostly a waste of $50+
    you can do it with HDR instead
    plus they are so specific and useless for other photos

just an ND8 + CPL is great for 95% of stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember filters for the 10-22 should be slim filters, any others will create vignetting.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this the ND8 which I'm looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOYA-72mm-ND8...item20b4e61ae2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that will work or even the Hoya HMC ND8 which is less than half the price of the Pro 1 on Ebay and it has free Postage.
    Canon 500D.....EFS 18-55 - EFS 55-250
    Hoya Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of interest - What are everyone's thoughts on the LCW filters? One filter for all occasions?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LCW-FADER-ND-...item1c16d9acb7
    Last edited by idrive; 06-11-2010 at 10:26pm.
    Canon 50D
    Tamron 17-50 2.8
    580EX II
    Manfrotto 190XPROB + 804RC2

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does a Hoya HD CPL compare to the super pro1?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B+W filters are not much more expensive than the prices quoted here for Hoya filters. No casts, no ghosts Schott glass and I believe they now come with lifetime warranty even if you break it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    B+W filters are not much more expensive than the prices quoted here for Hoya filters. No casts, no ghosts Schott glass and I believe they now come with lifetime warranty even if you break it!
    +1 for b+w. Have been a long time user of Hoya but recently purchased a b+w 1000X ND and i'm very happy with the quality. You really start to notice the deterioration in image quality (when using some superb lenses) with crap filters
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    FB, good price for 77mm

graduation filters I think are mostly a waste of $50+
    you can do it with HDR instead
    plus they are so specific and useless for other photos
    I have to say I disagree with that comment ( quite strongly )
    I used to be of that school of thought until I did get myself a decent set of filters.
    If you shoot alot of landscapes you will find that you will often be exposure blending AND using GND filters.
    I'll give you an example : you're shooting a sunset or sunrise scene , there are moving clouds lit up in the sky, there is water in the foreground you think would look good with long exposure.
    If you choose the HDR option, you're going to be limited by just how long a shutter speed you can achieve in the bright sky no matter what your aperture is. I suppose you could put an ND on for long exposure on the sky but then the argument for not getting a filter loses weight because you're using a filter anyway ??
    If you have filters available, you at least have the option of : 1. capturing the whold dynamic range in one scene (and cutting down PP time), 2. capturing the whole scene with a long exposure of the foreground AND sky. 3. you still have the option of exposure blending.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't consider HDR at all - it is a great option .
    I'm saying that GND's definitely have a role in landscape photography BUT, as with anything, the best results tend to come with the better quality gear, so my only advice would be to make sure that you do enough research on the topic and make sure that you have a commitment to landscape photography - then go visit leefilters.com or singhray and don't forget that even with filters, you may need to exposure blend.

The two are not mutually exclusive but rather should cooperate for best results.

You can have a look at our website if you like - I'd say a good 80-90% of the landscapes were taken with a GND of some sort. Pre 2010, a lot more HDR work.
    If you like the HDR look in those galleries, then ignore what I've just written above lol!
    Last edited by Dylan & Marianne; 08-11-2010 at 5:03pm.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks dtoh.

I have had a look around and seen a few of these HDR images,and I did not like what I saw,I prefer to do

as much as I can 'in camera'.

Some people say I would be wasting my time and money buying filters,and should just do HDR.

I see one above comment by an experienced photographer,that a good Circular Polarizar filter and ND8 should

do around 90 to 95 % of the time,so I will try that first,I have a CPF and will get a ND8.

Cheers FB