Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Budget Tripod + Ballhead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Budget Tripod + Ballhead

i know this has been done to death by now,
    but im going cross eyed scrolling through all the posts (mostly out of my price range)
    and i need to give an answer to the missus for christmas!

I need a new tripod, its supporting a canon 400d and the kit lenses it came with.
    my budget is $200 and am hoping to get some advice or direction about the best combo i can come up with for the price!

cheers,
    Brett

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a manfrotto with a ball head that was right on that price mark, I am very happy with it. I also have an expensive one (Benbo trekker) and some cheapies, I use the manfrotto. I guess it must be the low range model but it is perfectly fine for my camera and my bigger lenses, I have 5D with a 70 -200 L or a 50 to 500 (Bigma). If you really wanted extra steadiness there is a hook for weight. I am often at the beach and it hasn't suffered thus far, even sitting in water on occasion.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would save up a bit longer and spend 300-400 for tripod and head, and you will get yourself a much sturdier, long lasting and well made tripod. Cheaper tripods are cheap for a reason, and often leave the owners wanting more, sooner rather than later.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brettles, suitability depends on several things.

Your proposed usage, and the load you are going to put on it.

If you are using it indoors and sitting down, a short aluminium model will do just fine.

If you are going to carry it and use it outdoors, weight becomes a determining factor, and Carbon Fibre may be the way to go.

You should also look at one with a maximum height that you can use without stooping, with the centre column down. Don't forget to factor in the height of the ballhead.
    Fewer leg sections are desirable for better stability. The weight of your current kit should be OK with most heads BUT what happens when you get that 400mm lens?

Benro gear is used by quite a few AP'ers who all seem very happy with it.

Rick hit the nail on the head. Wait until you can afford some quality gear you don't have to replace because it just doesn't do the job.

Camera bodies come and go, but good lens and a good tripod and head combo should be with you for a very long time.
    I know, I've just bought the tripod (my fourth) that I should have bought first up.

Cheers

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going cheap will almost certainly mean buying twice if you are going to use it with any regularity.
    Benro tripods can be had in CF for about that money, ball heads extra. I have a Benro CF tripod and it is excellent, I believe as good as Gitzo (it's a knock off of Gitzo) for 1/4 the price. I wouldn't trust my gear to a Benro ball head (though many do) after seeing a video and reading a few reviews. That said a Benro head is probably fine for kit lenses and those slightly larger, but I wouldn't be hanging my D3+200-400VR off one. Heads are as plentiful and varied as tripods in price and quality. I have a head worth $500, but I also never fear hanging any of my gear off it at any angle.