User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pentax K-x for a curious Nikon Shooter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pentax K-x for a curious Nikon Shooter?

Hi Guys,

I currently have a Nikon D5000, and D90 (I have also had a D40, D50, D70 and D80).

I'm curious about Pentax, and wouldn't mind having a crack at one just for fun... if it works out and I really love it I might jump ship and sell all of my Nikon gear.

The K7 looks like a lovely camera, yet from what I can tell the low light performance isn't great.

The new K5 looks really nice - but I'm not comfortable dropping that sort of dough just on a test.

I was thinking - hey - the K-x looks like a nice camera, is supposed to have great low light performance (better than K7?) seems to have a decent sensor (the same Sony sensor as my D90 and D5000?) and looks like great value.

Would the K-x with one decent lens be a good buy to test Pentax as a system?

The idea would be, try the K-x out. If I don't like it, flip it on eBay. If I love it, keep it as a knock about body and grab a K5 when the prices have stabilised a bit.

What do Pentax shooters think or recommend... What am I missing here?

I've never so much as held a Pentax but am thinking it'd be fun to give it a try.

Last edited by Eberbachl; 29-10-2010 at 7:42pm.
    Please don't hesitate to provide me with CC! I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding any of my images. Thanks!

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll dispel one myth. K-7 is similar to the D300 in LL performance - in raw.
    The issue with LL is in JPEG mode where the in camera NR leaves more detail (and more noise) than other brands.

K-x is very good, and all reports the K-r is even better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the camera doesnt make the picture, stay with the nikons - just take more photos.

richie

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's absolute ISO quality that you want stay with Nikon, and spend your money on a D700! This way all your current lenses still work with the new body(YEP! even the Dx lenses)

There's nothing wrong with jumping ship.. just do it for the right reasons!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not, a lot of people run 2 systems, really depends on what type of photos you are into.

A lot of people like me got into Pentax because the bodies were/ are cheap compared with other systems but then find the good modern DA & DA* glass are as expensive or more expensive than the other systems - they end up using 3rd party glass.

If I could throw a lot of money @ photography would I stay with Pentax - not sure. I have used Nikon and love the build quality on most but not all models. I would suggest there is no perfect camera system, Pentax has its faults but so does every other camera system.

If I listened to only Camera Shop sales staff then like the 75% out there I would use Canikon. But then when I bought my first DSLR - Pentax K100d the only other Camera I seriously considered was the Nikon d40 on price, but comparison ended quickly.

Not sure though if I could afford a Nikon d700 I would be settling for a 5mp image using DX glass as Arthur is suggesting.

Not sure if this helps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards
    Kevin

Nikon D500 D7200. nikkor 200-500 f5.6, Tamron 100-400, Nikkor 70-200 f4 plus other glass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevpride/

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shoot both systems, Nikon and Pentax. I have a D700 and a K-7 and some off the best lenses both systems have to offer, so I am a little unbiased as I like both systems. I believe Pentax is better ergonomically and easier to use, but the Nikon is faster all round, slightly better built and I like FF.

I really don't think anything will be gained by jumping from a Nikon D5000 to a Pentax K-x. They use similar sensors (if not the same?) and will have very similar output, DR and noise results as as such, I think it would be a waste. If you were to jump to a K-5, then I could see some sense in your decision as you would gain DR, noise, feature and build quality advantages. The same would apply to an upgrade to the Nikon D700 or D7000.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments so far everyone Keep 'em coming.

I'll post in more detail tomorrow night as I'm posting from my phone in a hotel room in Zhengzhao, China after a day at the Shaolin temple!

I'll be back in my apartment tomorrow night and will have my laptop in front of me then.

:d

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, double post
    Last edited by Eberbachl; 31-10-2010 at 12:55am. Reason: Double post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow it always amazes me how many Canikon owners become so paranoid about someone going to different brand - it's akin to some religous cults who take exception to members leaving the flock. I suppose I can't talk as I chose Pentax because I like to be different and Pentax as a Brand suits my personality - and at the time the Pentax blew that toy Canon 350D out of the water (just wasn't given a go due to lack of marketing)

Have a go at the Pentax it is a great camera you will probably find it is not much different from a Nikon or a canon - but Pentax does have some very fine prime lenses and remeber evry Pentax lens has "VR" due to the in body shake reduction.
    There are two types of people in this world -
    West Perth supporters and the misguided.

Pentax K7 - Pentax DA 16-45mm F4, DA L 55-300mm, SMC M 50mm F1.7, SMC M 28mm F2.8

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments so far.

Firstly, I like my Nikons just fine - I get good results from them and enjoy using them. I'm certainly not saying I'm hoping to be a better photographer by dropping one brand and going to another!

What I am saying is that it could be fun to try something different, and something a little less mainstream appeals to me.

If I try the Pentax and hate it, I can flip the K-x on eBay. If I love it, then I might consider a wholesale switch.

I don't think my images will be any better in *absolute* quality than my D5000 or D90... similarly, I don't think a D700 or D7000 would buy me any better photos either

I'm just trying to get my head around the Pentax lens series at the moment and am thinking about which lens I might pair with a K-x (or maybe K-r) to begin with. A fast normal prime tickles my fancy - maybe something like my Nikon 35mm f/1.8?

I still haven't had an "in the flesh" look at a Pentax yet, but I'll try and find one to have tinker with.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcons View Post
    Wow it always amazes me how many Canikon owners become so paranoid about someone going to different brand ....

Actually I look forward to it. the more the merrier. Hopefully the secondhand gear will become saturated with Nikon gear that no one wants because they've all jumped ship.. for me(a decidedly insane Nikon devotee) this is good news. Cheaper Nikon gear to purchase(I am financially impaired )

having the option of permanent optical stabilisation is definitely a plus, and that's something Canikon users would really all love to have access too... despite what they want Sony/Pentax cultees to believe.
    Anyone not wanting access to more (switchable)features should get their heads professionally assessed!

In some situations: having only 5 million extrememly high quality pixels to capture minimal light may be the advantage(fun??)(as an example) ... compared to say the ability to capture 14 millions pixels worth of garbage!!
    There is a common saying in photography circles that if you get garbage in, you get garbage out.
    This is is not a put down of Pentax cameras abilities... but a counter to the common and incorrect notion that you need more pixels.
    in some situations, you can have too many pixels, you do realize this don't you Kev!

If you want flexibility in shallower DOF, and lower light photography, the D700 is a better option.
    if you want access to some of those really cool sounding M42 lenses(without the requirement for adapters that can degrade IQ) then you need a Pentax.

I'd personally love a 645D and three specific lenses for myself.. so I have no bias against Pentax(far from it!!)
    In fact, I can tell ya up front, had I not been financially incapacitated, I'd have one already ..... as opposed to a D3x that is.( I think one of, if not THE most over priced DSLR's available! )

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Eb

I have read the above thread & responses with interest ...
    I am surprised a bit ... I read that you are o/seas at the moment, but-

why do you not simply ask for a fellow AP near your home town to get together with you for a weekend shooting session whereby you can 'borrow' a camera for the weekend with no more $ involved than a swap bottle of red or something ??

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good idea Phil, thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty new to AP, and haven't met any members yet - but when I get home I'd like to attend a GTG for sure. If any of the Melbourne members are Pentax shooters that might be a good opportunity for me to have a closer look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello:

I borrowed from friends some DSLR: Canon, Pentax and Nikon. While using each them I found them very good. I haven’t changed my gear but at least I tested other brands and I compared results... I really enjoyed it, and I think you will.

Changing after 6 Nikon cameras sounds interesting. I agree with Phil, if you can arrange to use different brand it will help you to decide.
    Don’t forget to share your experience.
    Regards.
    J. Arguello.

Constructive Criticism (CC) is alsways welcome.
    Photography gear: Nikon D7000; Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8; Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6; Tamron A17 70-300mm f/4 - 5.6; Nikkor 50mm f/1.8; Yongnuo 35mm f/2; Neewer 85mm f/1.8; Nikon AW100 ;Canon EOS 300; Tamron 28-105mm; Canon 75-300mm.
    Photo Editing: Nikon Capture NX-D , GIMP ;

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arguelloflores/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a fun experiment. I've tried Nikon, Canon and Pentax cameras and they all felt different. The K-x won my heart partly because of its plucky can-do attitude, but mainly because it felt right when it was in my hands. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts when you get your hands on one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im curious about women, doesnt mean i want to be one
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm starting to wonder why the post was even started.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm starting to wonder why the post was even started.
    (...that would be thread, not post - I started the thread with it's first post)

I'm starting to wonder why you replied to it then...

I started it to ask Pentax shooters what they thought of the K-x as an introduction to the Pentax system.

Is that OK with you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only problem using a Kx rather than the K7 or K5 for a test...would be that the KX is a more basic body that the other two Ive mentioned. and that may tarnish your view of the Pentax gear..if it feels like a cheaper build etc...if your going to just judge the body on the images taken...then I see no problems, as the Kx is just as capable to take great images...its just not as robust as the K7/K5......thats why its cheaper I guess

the pentax lenses system does have some holes in it... although these are filled with either Tamron or sigma offerings ....notably the 70-200 2.8 lenses ..they are good lenses but not as expensive as a canon 70-200 usm!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on the mornington peninsula and have a k10d (not for low light) but a pentax none the less. Its just a trip up or down eastlink and I have not shot with a nikon yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast