Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cokin P series filters / CPL filter question

Hi all,

I have some filter questions. I'd like to get a Cokin filter system some time in the next few months, as I would like to use graduated ND filters for landscapes. I'd also like to get a circular polariser soon, and was thinking of getting a screw-in type (as I don't imagine I'd have the Cokin setup on the lens at all times). My question is, can the Cokin filter system be installed on the "outside" of a screw-in CPL filter? Is what I'm proposing the best approach, or should I get a Cokin CPL filter instead? Also, as far as the screw-in CPL filters are concerned, is the image quality obtained with the Hoya "Pro" range good enough to justify the higher price compared to the cheaper version?

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
    Stephen
    Canon 50D; EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 70-200mm f/4L USM; EF 35mm f/2; Tamron 90mm macro

My flickr photostream

CC welcome on any of my images!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sitting here trying out your question with my Hoya cpl filters and cokin P series.
    The cokin adaptor Will screw into the cpl. Problems. there is not much space betwwn the cokin holder and lens, therefore you don't have much room to grip the cpl ring. Small fingers helpful but I can certainly do it. The larger lens (70-200) is certainly more difficult than the 17-70 because the lens is bulky at its front end.
    Also you need to screw on the cpl first and then put the adaptor on. You also have to hold the cpl in positon when you turn the cokin adapter or it will turn the cpl as well.

Is it the best setup?
    Its a bit fiddly if you are going to use this combination a lot, but a cokin cpl will take longer to mount than a screw on cpl.

Pro1 or HD filters?
    could be lots of arguments here. You could look at the quality of the lenses you have and see if the cheaper filters would be ok. If the filter is much lower quality than the lens then the pro series or HD would be worth it. I use a Pro 1 D (purchased while overseas) and an HD cpl filter (purchased from ebay) for my lenses. I could not say what a side by side comparison would show... maybe see if a photoshop would let you take a shot with both??

These are important filter to have, I use mine regularly.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a screw on CPL and Cokin grad filter setup almost all the time for my landscapes. @ 10mm this definitely doesn't work without massive mechanical vignetting if I use the Cokin filter holder(slim type). So I hand hold the Cokin against the CPL.
    Over time, this scratches the filters a little(actually a lot after a fair bit of use), but unless you're shooting into a bright light source, this won't normally be a problem(the slightly scratched Cokin filters, that is!).

I guess that if you order the Z-Pro filter set, which are 100mm wide, as opposed to the cheaper and more common P series(82mm wide) filter sets, you may get away with more FOV before you see bad vignetting.
    (from memory) using the 10mm lens, I can mount the CPL+wideangle Cokin filter holder+single grad and set the lens to about 12-14mm or so, and not see the edges of the filter holder.

Note tho! that the Sigma 10-20mm has a small front lens element, so the FOV it encompasses starts off from a small base. The larger the front element on a wide angle lens(eg, such as your 15-85 Canon may have) the wider the filter sets need to be.

You can also get slim CPL filters with front threads where you can still attach the cokin adpater ring onto the front of the CPL(my slim CPL is very slim... has no threads, nor any room for them.)

I'd say, for 'future proofing' yourself, your best bet is to get a Z-Pro Cokin filter system.. even tho it costs more initially. If you think you will use this type of filter system quite a lot, to save yourself the hassle of handholding most of the time, the Z-pro filter set will end up costing you less over the long term.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screw in polarizing filter and Cokin P works fine. I've been doing it with various lenses, cameras, sytems for a very long time. Yes, you need to slide the Cokin plastic holder off the CPL when you want to turn the CPL, it's easy. And yes, you need to hold the CPL in place as you adjust the grad ND, also easy.

JJ

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much for the advice guys! Much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Stephen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a P holder over a Hoya CPL, and as Arthur points out above there is heavy vignetting. However, I ground the 'corners' out of the plastic holder, so it will now work at about 12mm.
    This set-up fitted to a Nikon 10-24 lens.