Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Slide scanner

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide scanner

I think this is the correct area to pose this question, so please forgive me if it isn't.

I have about 3,000 slides that I would like to scan with the best available scanner, depending on price, of course! I was wondering if anyone could help me with some suggestions on which brand and what resolution to get.

Once I have them copied, I shall do my usual Photoshopping of the photo depending on their relevence and what I am going to do with them. There are some that I want as treasured keepsakes, like those of the kids and family etc, and of course others that I would just like to have as mementos rather than a critically recorded image.

Any tips of how to go about it and how to copy them etc would be most appreciated as I am a complete novice at this sort of thing. I am thinking of converting them to TIFFs and dedicating a hard drive or two to that task, but this maybe overkill for the majority andf maybe I should just go jpegs to the not so critical?

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Lance

I have a similar project ahead of me too
    I seem to recall several other threads over the past 6-months on this topic ~ might be something to chase up

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. The trouble with past threads is that there may be better scanners and techniques now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance, i have notyet got the full experience of using it yet but I bought a epson V700 from photocontinental (after they price matched a melbourne company) and love thtat you can scan strips of colour slides 24 at once and then the software will make them into 24 separate files, this can also be done with mounted slides 15 at a time and will help speed up your process.

richie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a cannon 8400F Flat bed scanner, old technology now and the software did not all migrate to win7.
    However, on a budget and with a need to do other stuff as well, it has done a good job.

Film strip holder for 35mm and 120, plus a slide holder for up to 4 slides.

Not quite the quantity of a slide scanner but ?price etc.
    I'm sure the latest versions will be even better .

rob