User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: which lens for buildings,monuments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which lens for buildings,monuments?

im traveling to USA soon and i want to be able to get pictures of buildings and monuments so im looking at either the 9-18mm or the 11-22mm which would be best for this stuff.

Im also taking over with me 14-54,40-140(or if i get it in time 70-300 but then i wouldnt take the 40-150) and maybe a 35mm or i might buy that in the US, they are much cheaper than here in thats for sure.

and should i wait till im in the US to get the new lenses or get them here?? do the lenses have an international warrenty or just country of purchase warrenty?

if i do purchase them in the US do i have to pay tax on them when i come back into Australia?
    Mel

Olympus E300,E30,35mm macro,14-45mm,14-54mm,40-150mm,70-30mm.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Mel

Your series of Qs appears to me to be a 'how long is a piece of string' type of Q ~ and nearly impossible to answer

to your final Q - I believe that $999 is the customs limit for o'seas purchases 'not' attracting GST on your return

and as to the query on the first two lens options ~ only you can answer this Q
    ~ how much does each cost &
    ~ can you afford it?

~ how wide an angle does it cover
    ~ will it 'do' the job you expect of it &
    ~ how often will you use it?
    therefore ~ is it worth it in the long run
    and we can't help you there

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 11-22 would be a nice range to have as don't think the difference between the 9-18 would be alot different.

I am thinking going down to 9 would distort the image to much, but would be interested if maybe some members have some shots straight from the camera to compare.

I can only comment on the fact I have a 10-20 and at 10 it starts to distort the lines alot. Depending on which angle you shoot.
    Newbie to the world of Digital Gear: Nikon D60 - 18-55mm - 55 - 200mm - SB400 - New Sigma 10-20mm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/vk5mmm

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, that's a lot of gear to lug overseas. For my last trip I took a D200 and 1.4/50mm lens, and if I went again, I'd want to go even smaller. However a 11-22 wouldn't be so great for architecture. Wide anlge lenses aren't for cramming as much in as possible, they are for shooting close up. Consider a moderate wide like a 35mm, which is is the most most versatile focal lenght IMO, with the possible exception of a 50mm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey Melmo, check out THIS LINK for some useful tips on architechture with a SFDSLR.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the answers.

thanks heaps for the link Tom