Thread: Cleaning fungus from a "gifted" lens ::::

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cleaning fungus from a "gifted" lens ::::

I ve been given a Koboron 120-600mm lens. Its got a good dose of fungus.

My initial feeling is that it will make a great paper weight (2.3kg) but am curious if they can be cleaned if so by whom and of course, how much??

If they are any recommendations for cleaning services, Im in Sydney but anywhere in Australia would be good.

Many Thanks,
    Last edited by DavidG; 22-10-2010 at 3:31pm. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno about sydney, but Andersons in brisbane will do it. They charge by quotation, and will need to have the lens in their hands. Most places will.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most lenses will have various coatings applied to the lens elements, and fungus grows roots through these coatings. Therefore, as far as I know, there is no use in cleaning the mold off, as the damage has already been done
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with Zedex here. It is possible to get the lens cleaned, but often the problem returns. You can get it cleaned and see. In the meantime keep it well away from all your other camera gear. Fungal spores are tiny, and can be easily transferred. Something as simple as placing the lens on a table, zooming it, to create air movement, then putting lens away, and getting out your other gear and placing it on the table can cause spore transference. The risk is not certain, but why test it. The last thing you need is other lenses in your collection ending up with fungus as well
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography