Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 64 bit windows

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A huge thanks to everyone who reviewed my specs and post. I got my new PC on Friday and spent about 5 hours on Sunday transfreing everything to it and getting my software installed, the only issue i had was with the belkin wireless dongle and that was cured with a quick 64 bit driver download from my laptop.
    It's an awsome bit of kit and the advice and opinions I got was a great help.

A special thanks to arthurking83 & maccaroneski for comprehesvily rewiewing the components i selected, it is always great to have second opinions on stuff like this no matter how much you think you know - The Antec Darkfleet DF 30 case for instance is a work of art, with no sharp edges, superb internal access without even removing the sides, filters on the fans, a hot swap drive bay etc etc. I have worked on some really bad cases in the past as i work in IT support and i wish other case manufacturers took a look at this one.

Thanks agian - boy does CS5 fly now
    My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbee View Post
    ..... The Antec Darkfleet DF 30 case for instance is a work of art, with no sharp edges, superb internal access without even removing the sides, filters on the fans, a hot swap drive bay etc etc. I have worked on some really bad cases in the past as i work in IT support and i wish other case manufacturers took a look at this one.

OK, OK!! settle!.. No need to rub salt into my wounds! .. My stupid AeroCool case is mow stuffed to the brim with hard drives(and that includes one spare) so that I never have to delve into it's recesses for a long time. if I ever do tho, it'll be to rip everything out and place it (much more easily) into a new Antec case.. maybe even a Lian Li case(who knows??) but Antec make great value for money cases.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently running 64 Bit Windows 7 along with CS5 64bit with Lightroom 3 64bit. No problems.

To be honest you wont have any problems, Windows 7 is fine with all x86 (32bit software)

As for a build of PC, the more cores you have the better you will be able to process videos and images.

Honestly, you wont need more RAM then 4gb. Look at speed of your ram more so.

Ive run a Q6600 (quad core clocked to 2.9ghz) 4gb of 800mhz ram with a 4670HD GPU with CS5 LR3 etc and it is perfectly quick. Fast loading, fast encoding, fast exporting.

My brother runs the 1090T black AMD 6 core cpu. For the money it is the best bargain CPU ive used and seen. It is very eaily clocked (if wanted later) and for the price nothing can touch it. (again, for the price) Real world youll find again 4-6gb RAM is fine. Anything above this is overkill and useless.

$2,600 for that machine is silly.

If you want performance, Ditch that Overkill of RAM, downgrade that GPU and buy 1 SSD (Solid state drive) you will load anything in a near instant. Dont believe me, google them, youtube etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbee View Post
    A huge thanks to everyone who reviewed my specs and post. I got my new PC on Friday and spent about 5 hours on Sunday transfreing everything to it and getting my software installed, the only issue i had was with the belkin wireless dongle and that was cured with a quick 64 bit driver download from my laptop.
    It's an awsome bit of kit and the advice and opinions I got was a great help.

A special thanks to arthurking83 & maccaroneski for comprehesvily rewiewing the components i selected, it is always great to have second opinions on stuff like this no matter how much you think you know - The Antec Darkfleet DF 30 case for instance is a work of art, with no sharp edges, superb internal access without even removing the sides, filters on the fans, a hot swap drive bay etc etc. I have worked on some really bad cases in the past as i work in IT support and i wish other case manufacturers took a look at this one.

Thanks agian - boy does CS5 fly now
    Great work, i should have read that before i posted

What system did you end up with?

Cheers,
    J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate,

one small issue with Windows 7 64bit (and other versions?) is that explorer cannot display thumbnails of RAW images. You can buy a seperate package to do it (which i did) if you want.

Other than that, it works a dream.

In regards to RAM, make sure you get good stuff and consider the CPU/MOBO before working out how much you want. Some can do triple channel and others double channel. I have a dual channel board with 2 x 2GB (4GB total) and find it perfect. If your board can do triple channel, 3 x 2GB is probably a better option than 8GB.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadnium View Post
    Hey mate,

one small issue with Windows 7 64bit (and other versions?) is that explorer cannot display thumbnails of RAW images. You can buy a seperate package to do it (which i did) if you want......
    which raw file type?

if any non Nikon type, then I can't help due to a lack of experience and knowledge. BUT! if you are referring to Nikon's NEF or NRW raw file types, the 32bit codec works well even in 64bit Windows(7). I've yet to see any problems with the 32bit codec on Win7 x64 after 6months and many thousands of NEF files.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    There was a huge problem initially with system hangs and screen freezes. MS denied a problem with the O/S, however googling 'Windows 7 freezing' got about 16 million hits. My system would freeze 5 or 6 times a day then go a week without a problem. MS troubleshooting forums provided no joy.
    This sort of trouble is almost never a Windows issue. 99 times out of 100 it is either bad hardware (by far the most common cause), spyware infection, or (least often of the three) a bad device driver. Yours appears to have been (1) or (2). Win7 had a few issues with graphics drivers early on. That's a possibility.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be only Canon *.crw files then. Perhaps Nikon works?!? CRW's definately didn't work for me in Windows 7 64bit, but you could get a 32bit codec from windows site if you have that version. The 32bit wouldnt work for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ,
    Tom - I have the same setup - PC, 64 bit OS, Win7, 8GB RAM & I did have a few issues with the Canon 8800f with the new drivers released for Win 7 but they did update them soon after the initial release - I'd try downloading the latest drivers & it should be fine.

Other than a few hiccups just as Win 7 was released with drivers etc. most manufacturers & 3rd parties have caught up now - no regrets or major issues (IMO Vista was appalling) Oh, BTW I have a Sony VAIO & it's brilliant - it was the best value : processing power ratio I found at the time, & most importantly IMO with a lower level of issues reported overall, than some brands - about 1yr ago

Goodluck
    Renee
    ~~~~~~~~
    "never take life too seriously .... there's too much fun to be had (while you're planning to do sensible things with you life)"
    www.majickstudio.com
    Gear: Canon 5DmkII ~ 24-70 f/2.8 L ~ 70-200 f/2.8 L II ~ Battery-grip ~ Canon Powershot SX20IS ~ CS5 & LR 2 ~ etc. etc.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run Win 7 on 64bit and don't really have too many issues with it for what I do. With 8gb ram its good to be able to take full advantage of it!!
    Critique and comments welcomed on my images!

www.philrettkephotography.com
    http://www.flickr.com/philrettke

Canon EOS 5D MKII x 2 | Ef 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM | Ef 16-35mm f2.8L II | Ef 180mm f/3.5L macro | Ef 24-70mm f/2.8L | Adobe Photoshop CS3 extended | Digital Photo Professional | Photomatix Pro 3 | Adobe Lightroom 2.3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    I've (well my missus has) got win 7 64 bit running on a core i5 with 4 gig and a 1 gig vid card.

Problems??
    Well, there is a big problem with her Iphone/Ipod.
    Once she plugs it in, nothing else works! (USB related)
    No Hard Drive, No Scanner, no printer. Yet the mouse works... go figure.

If you reboot they start to work again (at a USB 1.1 standard)

The fix? Shut down, remove battery, restart. Works untill she puts the damn Iphone back in again.
    make sure chipset drivers are up to date and bios update as well as this could be a firmware bug that was resolved in a later release of the firmware.

if your not sure how get someone that knows what they are doing (not what they think they know what they are doing )
    Ben

Camera: 7d
    Lenses: Canon 17 - 55 f2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8, Sigma 30mm f1.4
    Flash: 430 exii

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123