Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 64 bit windows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 bit windows

HI

I am thinking of running a 64 bit version of windows on my next PC to take advantage of it's ability to use more RAM and hopefully run a bit smoother and faster plus I will be running CS5 which can take advantage of it, and as i will probably keep it for a good few years i want to be cutting edge ( NOt Bleeding edge though) when i buy it.

Is anyone out there running 64bit Windows 7 and what issues have you faced - ie. finding printers etc that will work with it. Is it worth the effort or do you wish you had just gone with a 32 bit OS?

cheers - jb
    My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey there, the only downside for me running 64 bit on Mac and Windows is that lack of 3rd party plugins available for CS5, Aperture 3 and LR3 that I am running on the laptop and work comp. Slowly the companies are releasing 64 bit versions of the plugins I require for photo work, but I keep finding myself using Windows XP and CS4 on 32 bit on another comp just to carry out things I need to do.

I reckon another 6 months or so everything will translate into 64 bit anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've (well my missus has) got win 7 64 bit running on a core i5 with 4 gig and a 1 gig vid card.

Problems??
    Well, there is a big problem with her Iphone/Ipod.
    Once she plugs it in, nothing else works! (USB related)
    No Hard Drive, No Scanner, no printer. Yet the mouse works... go figure.

If you reboot they start to work again (at a USB 1.1 standard)

The fix? Shut down, remove battery, restart. Works untill she puts the damn Iphone back in again.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm only using Win7/64 now. It is the new SOE here at work.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it at home (desktop) and at work (laptop) and have no issues. LR3, PS5, Nik plugins, printers, tablet etc are all fine. No regrets here, obviously. Core i5, 6GB ram on the desktop,

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi jb,

I'm running the 64bit version of Windows 7.

I'd suggest 6 or better still 8Gb of RAM. I'm running 4Gbs and feel that at times it is not enough.

There was a huge problem initially with system hangs and screen freezes. MS denied a problem with the O/S, however googling 'Windows 7 freezing' got about 16 million hits. My system would freeze 5 or 6 times a day then go a week without a problem. MS troubleshooting forums provided no joy.

However, 6 months ago, miraculously, the problem stopped occurring. Being rather cynical I suspect MS slipped a 'fix' into one of the updates. I did nothing to my set-up.

Anyway all good now for more than 6 months. Most of my programs work without problems. MS do have an Upgrade checker that reads your system and advises you of possible compatibility issues. Windows 7 is now much more stable than Vista ever was.

When I get my GAS under control I'll put another 4gbs of RAM in.

Cheers

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm so that's JM and Greg with issues and Kym and Tony with none.
    One of the perennial problems with Windows is the way hardware drivers fail to work with system peculiarities, it's so easy to see why some people just go for a Mac. Trouble is I know my way around Windows but not the Mac OS. but I know if i go for the 32bit version, the moment I do 64 bit will become the norm and i will be struggling to upgrade. Why MS did not include a way for 32 bit drivers to run under a 64 bit OS is a mystery, or is it , what do Microsoft really care
    Do Kym or Tony run Iphones and have any issues, and did you have to hunt around for 64 bit compatible printers and scanners ?
    All the computer shops say "oh yes you'll have no problems there" of course.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kevin

Yes i avoided Vista and still run XP. So yours runs stable now, and that makes 3 with no more issues.
    My will be a new system which i have decided will have a quad core I7, 8gb ram, and a good Video card with 1Mb on board, prices are coming in around 2.5K at the moment custom built, i can't be bothered building my own again though.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been running Windows 7 on a 2 year old HP notebook for about 1 year now, with no issues at all. Using Office Pro 2007 32 bit. Not worth even looking at 64bit Office yet.
    Also have Win 7 running on a MacBook Pro with no issues as well, its a good combination, getting the best of both as required.

Nikon D300, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200vr II f2.8, 18-200vr, Lensbaby, 50 f1.8, SB600, Tokina 12-24 f4, TC2.0e III, Kenko TC 1.4

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris - I had a feeling the 32 bit version would be fine. out of interest what do you prefer the Mac or the PC ?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm on 64bit with Windows 7 and 8gb ram. the only major issue that I have faced is software for my Canon 8800f. I like Vuescan, but it does not work with 7 and that particular scanner. It works fine with my Nikon Coolscan 5000, just not the Canon. I had to purchase Silverfast just to use with the Canon, and it's CRAP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an iPhone and an iPod - all good. I also have an Epson all in one printer scanner - the 710 maybe? - and that goes without a hitch too.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pretty old desktop PC, it is around 5-6 years old. I threw a bit of RAM at it (4GB in total) and upgraded the hard drives and that is all since new. I have installed W7 64 bit version earlier this year and have not had any problems at all. It has been brilliant!
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the build of the MacBook over the offerings from Hp & Dell.
    The only drawback is you are missing are few keys from the Mac keyboard. You will need to learn a few alternatives, not to hard, but an issue if others use your notebook.
    As long as you read the instructions on loading win7 onto a MacBook you will have no problems. Unlike myself who wasted 3-4 hours rather than looking on the CD that came with MacOS.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've installed Win7/64 on one of the machines, still with only 2GB of RAM, but no issues. With the lack of 3rd party plug-ins I'm wondering if CS5 is not advanced enough to make them less useful than they were in earlier (and my CS2) versions. I'd say go 4 it. Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and daughter run Win7/64 and had no problems. I still run XP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    I've installed Win7/64 on one of the machines, still with only 2GB of RAM, but no issues. With the lack of 3rd party plug-ins I'm wondering if CS5 is not advanced enough to make them less useful than they were in earlier (and my CS2) versions. I'd say go 4 it. Am.
    its more so with the slow transition by companies over to 64 bit from 32 bit as small independent groups do not have such large resources as say - Adobe, and as stated by developers of Nik Software plugins and LucisArt and Alien Skin according to press statements on their website - they are developing 64 bit versions of their popular plugins right now. Its not a big problem for me, just waiting a few months longer really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom have you tried updating your drivers and software?

http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010501.asp

Only thing that annoyed me with Win7 is the windows search constantly running in the background using the hard drive and causing the computer to run slow. Since I disabled it things are so much better.
    My photos on flickr

My videos on YouTube

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another + for 64 Bit win7, running on i7 8Gb Ram, no problems , interesting to see someone has had problems with iPod/Pad, both run with few problems on my machine. I have had the occasional lockup with itunes, but otherwise no problems with the iPad/Pod

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with TOM, I can't get my old .. actually very very old Canon (N670U) scanner to work with Win7/64bit.

It's a cheapo crappo scanner anyhow, so no real loss, I don't scan all that much, except for the day when my son wanted something scanned of course!
    it'll still work on my old WinXP(32) PC, which I will one day pass on to the kids(if I get off my @$$ and get it running again).. and they also get themselves a scanner to boot).

Been running Win7-64 for about 6 months now.. never had any issues(that I recall) except me stuffing up the system trying to tweak it)

old bluetooth dongles work perfectly, my PDA(Windows Mobile 2003) connects every time now(had issues with WinXP).. all other wireless peripherals and devices work.

I'm more than happy ... although now I've found that damned annoyingly addictive Chess Titans .. and I feel as though I'm going to deck someone soon if I don't break back into the 50% win/loss ratio tonight!

I haven't found any difference whatsoever tho, in going from 4G RAM to 8G RAM .. in any application.
    I don't run PS/LR tho, and my preferred editor is still only 32bit only. Even the raw codec for the Nikon NEF format is still only 32bit(but works flawlessly so far) in the 64bit environment.
    I have to say too, I have no idea why I installed it too.. just out of curiosity I guess, and windows explorer and other programs I noted, now see the thumbnails properly.

problem with 64bit is that there are still to few apps that have fully converted/updated themselves to run natively, and hence (them)use the full complement of RAM available.
    That is, something like CaptureNX2 which is still only 32bit, only utilises 1-1.5Gig of RAM max! I suppose that still leaves me with 6G of RAM for other apps!

C'MON Nikon!!!.. 64bith has been with us for eons now, many pro's are updating/updated to it(whether Win or Mac) and they still sit on their hands and twiddle their thumbs(geez! that must feel nice! )
    Stoopid idiots!! They only just released an updated Basic free editor viewer for their file type, and couldn't be stuffed to create a 64bit version as well!
    Last edited by arthurking83; 20-10-2010 at 11:16pm.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast