User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Documenting flash settings

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    15 Sep 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Documenting flash settings

    Probably sounds like a really stupid question... how do you all document your off camera flash settings for each shot? eg power setting, zoom, and position of flash in relation to subject.

    I'm finding I get so caught up trying to get the shots right - I completely forget what settings I was using for the shot to "work" by the time I load them on the computer.
    Constructive Criticism always welcome - it's the only way to learn!
    A selection of my photo's can be seen here

  2. #2
    In Training MarkChap's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Jan 2008
    Location
    Widgee, Queensland
    Posts
    2,228
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is called a note book and pen/pencil

    Back in the day, there was no EXIF data to fall back on, I can remember filling many a note book with shot stats

    But it depends on how much info you want to record/recall, generally once I have made a decision on flash to subject position (normally quite close), that dictates what my aperture will be. After that although positioning may change I keep the distances and hence the flash power and aperture pretty constant.

    Shutter speed and aperture are recorded in EXIF anyway, so a quick look tells me if I have varied the flash power, either by distance or by actual adjustment
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark


  3. #3
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    15 Sep 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew it was a stupid question lol....

    Off to buy some note books tomorrow

  4. #4
    Member DesmondD's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Mar 2010
    Location
    Raglan
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elyshiamadison View Post
    I knew it was a stupid question lol....

    Off to buy some note books tomorrow
    It's not a stupid question actually because there are other solutions . Have a look at my "flash " album on photobucket . I sometimes have another camera handy to photograph my setup and then add text to them later . My handwriting is too untidy and I'm too forgetful to use a notebook .

  5. #5
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    15 Sep 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Desmond - you gave me a few ideas for testing out my 2 flash units one's controls are quite intuitive the other is NOT!! Pity we threw out all the girls dolls lol. Will have to find another inanimate object to test with (maybe a transfomer will do the trick)

    And second camera is a great idea, I am hopeless with notes...

  6. #6
    Member DesmondD's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Mar 2010
    Location
    Raglan
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elyshiamadison View Post
    Thanks Desmond - you gave me a few ideas for testing out my 2 flash units one's controls are quite intuitive the other is NOT!! Pity we threw out all the girls dolls lol. Will have to find another inanimate object to test with (maybe a transfomer will do the trick)

    And second camera is a great idea, I am hopeless with notes...
    I stopped using the "life like" baby doll because I always got comments about how creepy it looks
    Now I use the cream coloured football instead .

    My subject .....




    My notes .......

    Last edited by DesmondD; 20-10-2010 at 4:09am.

  7. #7
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    15 Sep 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The doll may have looked a little creepy strung up on a tripod, BUT was a good idea for testing ambient v's flash esp the one's where the doll was in shade with strong sun backlight It's alot closer to skin tones than the ball That is something I have to practise getting right!

    I can't seem to find anyone willing to stand and be flashed to death, while I play lololol.

  8. #8
    Member DesmondD's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Mar 2010
    Location
    Raglan
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elyshiamadison View Post
    The doll may have looked a little creepy strung up on a tripod, BUT was a good idea for testing ambient v's flash esp the one's where the doll was in shade with strong sun backlight It's alot closer to skin tones than the ball That is something I have to practise getting right!

    I can't seem to find anyone willing to stand and be flashed to death, while I play lololol.
    I live on my own in the middle of a farm so I can't even ask !

  9. #9
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    15 Sep 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True

    I often wonder what the neighbours think here when they see the flash going off in the house and absurd hours There's 6 yards that back onto mine - so I figure at some stage someone has thought what the????? lol

    My kids run a mile now when the camera comes out, grrrr.....
    Last edited by elyshiamadison; 20-10-2010 at 9:35am. Reason: Censoring ;)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •