User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: canon 70-200 f4 non-IS vs IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 70-200 f4 non IS as my budget was tight at the time. I have taken some great shots at the Red Bull Air Show with it. It is a fantastic sharp lens. I used a tripod for these, but have since taken some great shots without the tripod. I have got into the habit of taking consecutive shots because I do find hand held when there is a breeze a bit of a challenge. However most of my shots are hand held. I have even had one of my first photo's with this lens, enlarged to 15x11 and framed, I am thrilled. So the price I paid for that lens, I am extremely happy.

Canon 500D, Canon 18-55 lens, Canon 70-200 L4 lens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had the same problem when i got my 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II,i was going to get the 70-200 f2.8L but i walked out of the shop with the IS II after playing around with it at the store,ok i payed a lot of money for it but deep down i know i made the right choice.At the moment i got the 550D but some time next year i'll be updating to a full frame and doing a lot of low light shots.
    Last edited by midnightexpress1; 25-10-2010 at 10:35pm.
    Canon EOS 550D,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO IS USM ,EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM II,EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out www.cameramarket.com.au there's a 70-200 f4 IS and f2.8 IS for sale!!
    Canon 7D, 550D, 1N HS, EOS 88, 17-55 2.8, 18-200mm, 10-22mm, 28mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 28-105
    Canon AE-1, 50mm, Nikon FM2(n), 50mm, 24-70mm, Tamron 300mm
    Mamiya RB 67 Pro-S 90mm C, 180mm C
    Mamiya M645 1000s, 35mm C, 80mm C, 150mm C, 210 mm C
    430EX II, Benro Tripod and Monopod
    and a bunch of toy cameras!
    -Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mitgonk View Post
    Check out www.cameramarket.com.au there's a 70-200 f4 IS and f2.8 IS for sale!!
    I sent an email to one of the F4 non-IS listings a little while ago and got not response.

How reliable is this website? What are people's experience? (Probably wrong thread to ask I know).
    Canon 40D | Canon 50mm F/1.4 | Canon 17-85mm 4.5-5.6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally haven't bought from cameramarket before. But they seem quite reputable. Several members have bought gear through them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guys is it normal to have a very small movement when this lens(70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II ) is locked to the camera,none of my other lenes have this play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightexpress1 View Post
    guys is it normal to have a very small movement when this lens(70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II ) is locked to the camera,none of my other lenes have this play.
    im interested in the answer to this as well, when my 400 f/5.6 L is attached to my camera body i have about 1mm play either way when i rotate the lens against the body....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for a very informing thread, I am about to buy a 2.8 IS.
    Canon 40D
    Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 | Canon 50mm 1.8 II | Sigma 50-150mm 2.8 | 580EX II | Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightexpress1 View Post
    Some lenses do, some dont' - nothing to worry about
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very happy with my 70-200mm F4 IS, a terrific zoo lens and for outside events where a tripod would get in the way. Stablisation also helps when making it 280mm with a 1.4 teleconverter. On a 7D body, able to shoot inside sports with the auto ISO going up to 3200. Considered the 2.8 but it's so heavy you could club a bear to death with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my f4 is lens the other week! Love it so far! Mostly do outdoor sports as well as use it as general tele zoom lens!! Light and compact and sharp as a tack!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you got the lens and if so what did you descide.

Some interesting feedback above, horses for courses wins for me, dont buy it because it's cheaper, that's not a good reasoning path to go done. IS is not going to help that much for tripod and or monopod shooting, but if you feel it a necessary item, get it. Plan and simple.

Jodean should invest in a good quality monopod, take the weight off your neck, use the collar, thats what its for...
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the IS version last week and from the small tinker I've had with it I already love it. Can't wait to get some proper use out of it

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can afford either, get IS. (If you can't, then don't ask the question.... )

IS is one of the great revolutions of modern photography and worth every cent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JODEAN View Post
    Best advice I was given was buy the best you can afford so you only have to buy once.

Dean.
    Spot on Dean

I got the same advice 50 years ago, but phrased as "buy the best and cry once"

I have also found that generally I rue the purchases I have made by trying to buy cheap, instead of what I really needed or wanted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote here for the IS version. It saves a lot of shots in lower light situations.

Cheers,
    Jason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i was in the same boat what to get you can read and read but i get more confused and i only wont to buy one lens that will last so I’m going for 70-200f/2.8 is ll and hope it won’t take me to long to get it .
    I love the surf, sport and the outdoors and see this lens as the best for my needs i just hope they don’t bring out the next model before i get it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, there is nothing more frustrating than taking blurry shots.
    I know the IS does cost considerably more, but unless you are going to use it mostly on a tripod, or monopod, I'll always save my pennies and buy a lens with IS, if it is available.

The main reason I bought a 24-105L IS F4 was for the IS, otherwise I would have bought a 24-70 F2.8 non IS lens.
    While the 2.8 is certainly faster, with IS and taking shots hand held, you can get better and less shaky shots at F4 with IS in low light, than you can at 2.8 without IS.

Just my 2c worth, and please let me know if you disagree.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely the IS version

The prices have come down significantly, now the price of the IS version is similar to the non IS a few years ago

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 70-200 F4 L IS and am more than happy with it. I use it as my do all lens when I'm away
    working in the Pilbara. Great for BIF shots.
    cheers Kerro
    I shoot with Canon cameras and Canon and Sigma lenses and now a Mavic Pro too

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12