User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Expodisc!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expodisc!

Has any one used one and are they worth it? I'm thinking that if it could save me time in RAW tweaking then it might be http://www.expoimaging.com/product-o...words=ExpoDisc

Been having a bit of trouble with WB on the D700 and stumbled across this solution to help with a custom in camera setting.

Thanks
    Sam.
    Kiddy Paparazzi, Wife and Mum of 4. Not always in that order!

Nikon F60 & Nikkor 35-80mm, Nikon D700 & Nikkor 50mm 1.4, 24 - 70 f/2.8G, 105mm micro f/2.8G Nikon SB800 speedlight, Casio Exilim P&S and other assorted paraphernalia that takes up too much room in my study!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes use a $5 mennon lens cap off bay, does the same job really

What sort of issues with wb are you having, on my d3 I pretty much use the cloudy wb 90% of the time
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work mostly in natural light and make sure there are no lights on to create a colour cast and have been varying between choosing cloudy or the auto WB and almost always end up with a greeny yellow. With the D70s I'd do the same and it was always perfect. My favourite chocolate brown blanket looks more green

Will look onto that mennen cap, thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an old post but worth commenting as others may find this useful. I do use the neutral ExpoDisc mainly for indoor sports if the lighting is really difficult - if used correctly (incident light, that is point your camera lens toward the light falling on your subject to get the correct white balance). I have no experience with the "Portrait ExpoDisc" although I understand it balances with a slightly warmer temperature.

I do find that this saves me massive time in post as I do not have to adjust white balance or do any colour correction to remove any colour casts. I do not use the ExpoDisc outside as the colour temp changes too frequently and my bodies do ok with AWB outdoors in most cases (the occasional white balance correction is needed).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't it be more useful (and cheaper) getting a grey card or something? It can be used in any light situation and is used once per session and then put away... Use it as a sample point when getting your WB levels in software... If WB is the only problem.

You should have a way of creating a user setting in your DSLR that reflects the white balance adjustments you need to make in post (all the time as you say) and once you have that then there won't be any reason to need to put anything in front of your lens... well less need I'd imagine.
    Dan

Canon EOS 550D Gripped - Twin Lens Kit - Speedlite 430EX II
    CC and EDITS with info invited. Feed my brain!
    "don't drink from the mainstream"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a 77mm Seculine Vivicap to try out. Might buy a couple more to try on other lenses too, as they're not that expensive here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan, a grey card is most definitely cheaper but as it uses reflected light (as opposed to incident) it can have issues. Don't get me wrong as I'm sure there can also be issues with the incident white balance process, but for my use I have found this to be a very accurate and fast process. I can do an exposure and custom white balance with this disc within a minute and are not reliant on a model/subject holding/placing a grey card etc. Geeze I'm starting to sound like a salesman

The Expodisc is used once in the session (unless your light changes) just as a grey card is and you set your white balance in the camera after taking an exposure with the Expodisc (same process as a grey card).

I guess it really depends on how important this aspect is for your images (workflow etc). To me it's really important, for others they may be happy with a grey card, AWB, manual adjustment or even adjusting in post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Brennan View Post
    I can do an exposure and custom white balance with this disc within a minute and are not reliant on a model/subject holding/placing a grey card etc. Geeze I'm starting to sound like a salesman

The Expodisc is used once in the session (unless your light changes)
    I misunderstood the application of the Expodisc. Thanks for the explanation.