User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: A Time to Buy??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Time to Buy??

This week,I have had a quick look at DWI prices on glass.

They are certainly much cheaper than when I bought all my

gear last year,In fact if I'd bought all my Canon stuff now I'd save over a K.

Just looking at a Canon EF-S 10-22 wide field lens,Last time I looked they were

around $900,now $719,a week ago $734,Is this tend going to continue????

Or should I buy it now,All these darn lenses seem to have dropped a great deal.

I thought glass was always around the same price,and never really varied much.

Are these L grade type lenses made in China now?

I know they used to make "Makita" power tools in Japan,now they are made in China,and in most tradesmens opinion we are all a lot poorer for it.

I hope they do not make those lovely lenses in China,it would be such ashame,I'd rather pay more for proper Japan ones.
    Canon 50D and 450D - Canon 10-22 F3.5-5.6, 17-55 F2.8 L, 70-200 F2.8 L, 400 prime F5.6 L, 60mm F2.8 macro, EX 430 Flash,and all sorts of other bits and pieces

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their prices fluctuate a lot. Snap it up while you can! I was on their site a few days ago and was going to buy a 50D for $757. I emailed them about stock, and then went back the next day to order and it was $813! I emailed them again and was given the "too bad" answer. So if the price is good, buy it!

As far as I know Canon haven't made any changes to the manufacturing?
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exchange rate, pure and simple.
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The exchange rate is why, and its also why it is not the best time to be selling your used cameras,lenses ect, as you will have to keep lowering your prices to be cheaper than the grey import prices that a lot of people seem to be using as a price guide

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find these statements a bit strange. Yes the exchange rate is good against the USD, but it has barely moved against the Yen or Chinese Yuan. It really depends on the gear, some bits of kit are just as expensing now as they were 6 months or a year ago. I think it is more supply and demand influences rather than exchange rates.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All international trade is negotiated in USD, so prices vary with the USD exchange rate regardless of where the goods are made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was always my impression that DWI proces fluctuated with the USD - so yes, a good time to buy, bad time to sell.