I'm in the process of selecting a ballhead for my Manfrotto 055CXPRO3. I have researched every ballhead known to modern man, even those way beyond my means, so this is not a request for possible alternatives.

I was interested in the Markins Q3, small, light, stated carrying capacity of 30Kgs.

To be doubly sure I emailed Markins, and asked their opinion of the suitability of their Q3 Emille to hold my K20D and a 300mm f4 lens, all up total weight of less than 2.5Kgs.

Surprisingly, to me, Markins replied suggesting their Q10, their next size up.

Huh? A 30Kg load rated ballhead not happy with a 2.5Kgs load?
I would have thought that there was a reasonable safety margin between 2.5Kgs and 30Kgs.

Markins did say that it would handle the load, providing I used the tripod mount on the lens, which to me is a given anyway.

So what does a rated load capacity indicate? The weight carrying ability of the centre of the ballhead with no inclination? I have no idea.

Can anyone enlighten me ?

It was suggested that I look at the Feisol CB-50D. I did. Rated to carry 19Kgs.
And only $159.00. Have a look at their website. http://www.feisol.net/feisol-ball-he...44750-p-9.html

See the photo of the CB-50D holding 38Kgs. Trick shot? Ball welded to casing?
Buggered if I know. Sheeesshh, I just want a lightweight ballhead to hold less than 3Kgs without drooping. At my age I don't need to be reminded of the effects of gravitational force every time I use my camera.

All I really want is a lightweight set-up so I can get out there and take photos.
And I do need the tripod to do that. I do not want to make excuses not to, because the bloody support system, over 5Kgs of it, is shortening my time in the field.

Any help much appreciated.

Kevin