User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Warning Gumtree Ad for D700.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warning Gumtree Ad for D700.

Words of warning here folks, I get a suspicious Vibe from a gumtree ad I noticed.
    I enquired to see what was going on

Qual Electronics <sales@qualimited.com>

Hi,

Thanks for your response to our ads, we sell brand new products with 12months international warranty .Brand New NIKON D700 DSLR CAMERA + 24-120mm VR LENS = $1550 with free shipping ,delivery to your door step within 48hours.

Kindly get back to us with your full shipping detail so that we can start packing your order for fast delivery

We do offer the following methods of payment:-
    (1) Bank Wire Transfer T/T
    (2) Western Union

Looking forward to develop a good business relationship with you.

Regards,
    Wendy B.

Call our Sales team on +61434586058,+60162987534 for further assistance

website-------www.qualimited.com
    Anyone else noticed this...it triggered alot of warning bells in my mind. Particularly once I saw the price and the payment methods.

I have the feeling its bogus, figured I would check the phone number as well to ensure my suspicions were justified...got a womens answering machine and no response from the phone number.
    Last edited by Xebadir; 13-10-2010 at 3:54pm.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck...
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite a number of international suppliers have "offices" here in Ausrtalia. However the prime address is elsewhere, in this instance, Malaysia. The web adds show some really old stuff, like 30D Canons, so you wonder where that camera has been over the last few years. However there is the usually comtemporary stuff. When you go to you pro-camera shop, you know they are authorised dealers, and will (hopefully) have proper relationships with the company's distributors. These "too good to be true" purveyors are less likely to be authorised distributors and where the stuff came from, even if it is still factory sealed, and how old it is, or if it is a refurbished item, well ...caveat emptor.
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Berni, if you even apply a .01% chance of paying for and actually receiving that camera through that "business" I feel that you need some rapid education in the ways of the world.

The ad is a fraud, the business listed is wholly and solely contained within a pc and is almost guaranteed to have never stocked any goods.

Gumtree is the last place on earth that people should be looking for any item for sale that they can't pick up in person and pay cash for at the time of pickup.

Have a bit of a google and see who owns gumtree anyway.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only time I look at gumtree is when I need a good laugh.
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out their website, an $11K Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Digital SLR Camera for USD $3882.55.
    Why on earth would you doubt their credibility? (Sarcasm!!!)
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup...not a place I normally buy off unless I can see the object, but you never know what you might find. Bogus Ad has been relisted here:

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff...AdIdZ235833872

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hari, read my reply, #4, above.

It is a scam pure and simple, your example of an "international warranty" only reaffirms the point as no such thing exists with Nikon camera bodies.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hari07 View Post
    Yes, true that Nikon offers country based warranties on Bodies but international warranties on Lenses. I called up Nikon a few months back to confirm this.
    Fine print: The international warranties on Lenses is ONLY if you bought the lens via a genuine Nikon retailer in country (eg. I'm in NY and buy over vthe counter from B&H) then travel back to Oz.
    It does NOT apply to grey imports (ok, it may be hard to prove, but that's what Nikon say)

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Methods of payment says it all for me, I wouldn't touch !!
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have removed some posts in this thread, so it may appear like members are replying to a post/person who hasn't posted to the thread.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly wouldn't touch that one but Gumtree isn't all bad. My daughter and son in law listed their caravan for sale and sold within a couple of days to a very genuine local buyer so their experience was positive.

Di

Canon 50D, Canon 17-85, 50mm 1.8, Speedlite 580EX11
    "You have to make the most of the chances that come your way. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to the treachery of these people "Wendy" the secretary / scammer just rang me (@10:00 pm in response to my phone call) to explain that the D700 and lens was sitting there ready for immediate shipment upon funds being transfered. Pay pal was not available for first time customer/suckers.

Why can't these people be found and flogged? and then flogged again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy a lot of things on Gumtree, but this one is a fake ad as the words WESTERN UNION usually are associated with scams as forms of payments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use gumtree to buy and sell a fair bit. It's a good place to look for 2nd hand camera gear - I think more 2nd hand camera gear goes through gumtree than any other website in Aus (including ebay). It does have a lot of scammers, though, so be careful and don't send any money!