Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripods - what use does yours get

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tripods - what use does yours get

My poor tripod is sooooo lonely, stuck in the boot for months on end. I'm thinking this is sad, its not good, it's not fair on mr manfrotto

Should I feel guilty ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you should.
    It needs company.
    Get a monopod for it!.
    Since meeting Xebadir mine gets a lot of use.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not nearly enough, just rolls round behind the front seat of the car, getting scratched and dirty, poor old thing
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine gets used quite a bit, though I'm a landscaper, not sure why you even own one kiwi! Sport photography isn't really tripod territory.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day kiwi

doing heaps of panos, my tripod does get lots of use
    also, doing lots of after dark stuff, the tripod gets lots of use there too
    and doing a bit of portraiture, the tripod gets used as well

poor ol' tripod needs a rest 'n a holiday

as an aside --- I find that as I am wandering around with tripod over shoulder, people look at me and often ask 'you a perfessional fotografer mate?'

I answer " 'no' just a bloke enjoying myself "(I don't want to get into a long conversation when the sunset is happening)
    Six months or so ago, in Qld, I had a fella with a D90 come up to me and started asking me Qs about his new, straight out of Hardley Normal twin-lens kit, then invited me back to his caravan "coz I got-tha instruction book there - ya can look it up for me"

I smiled, said various things to myself about fools, nodded politely and walked off
    Wasn't going to buy into that one
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mine 90% of the time which is why I've just lashed out and bought a new carbon fibre model.

It probably won't make me a better photographer, but the lighter weight will allow me to spend more time getting frustrated with my efforts.

Cheers

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you use yours in general say portrait work in good light? For wedding formals etc ?

Oh yeH, my mono is much more used by me with the big glass

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mr 'frotto is sitting for months on end in the boot of the car because you most likely bought an aluminium version.

had you purchased a much sexier Ms Gitzo Gabor in her bare carbon state of undress... you'd hardly be able to keep your hands off her!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Manfrotto (aluminium) gets a bit of a work out, usually when the photos matter, like they are going get done on A3 and stuck on a wall. None of my lenses have IS (so far - not going near the woife on that one) - and in the end, a stable tripod and cable release with shutter lock is probably as good as it gets anyway. Especially if your game is predawn or sundown stuff, with a big DOF. The sad reality is, as I look at the photos that i have, that most of them are ever so slightly blurred.

On this site here is a great beginners guide on holding a camera, too.

The other thing about tripods, is that you can leave the camera and engage in light banter with your subject, to bring out that all too ephemeral natural smile and sparkle. Of course if the model is 3 years old, they will sit still, let you get the readings, set up the off cameral flash, and just when you are ready, they will walk off. After that you will use the Manfrotto as a trellis for your snow peas.
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the tripod all the time for Architectural and Interior shots, HDR, Product Photography and Stop Motion Animation.
    It gives the car a special jingle jangle rattle when stored at the boot. I would know when I forget to take it as the car would be so quiet.
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say that my tripod gets used for 95% of my shots.

The only time I'm not using it is in social and other situations where a tripod gets in the way.

Paul
    Australian Nature Photography

Nikon D7000
    Nikkor 12-24, Nikkor 28-70/2.8, Nikkor 50/1.8, Tamron 60/2, Sigma 100-300/4, Sigma 180/3.5 macro, Nikkor 500/4, 1.4x TC, 1.7x TC

(Comments And Critique On My Images Most Welcome)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mine as often as I can. Mainly for landscapes and night shots where I take my time and set up.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Mine gets used quite a bit, though I'm a landscaper, not sure why you even own one kiwi! Sport photography isn't really tripod territory.
    I dunno so much .... I have been shooting for a sports comp for the last few months, and at every match (Gridiron) there is the same group of photographers blazing away - all of them with 200mm lenses and monpods (which are sort of honorary tripods).

My poor tripod(s) only get used for tabletop photography where they are a must. I really should use them more.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine gets used mostly when I do macro's and rarely at other times. Having a D700, which means low light superiority, read - can make for lazy photography! - and VR lenses means that I can get away with quite alot without the need for a tripod. The monopod gets used occassionally with the long lenses.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About ½ of my shots, comes on most outings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I've got time to set up and get the sharpest images possible from my gear.
    Tripod and remote cable release, occasionally with mirror lock up for landscapes.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    I dunno so much .... I have been shooting for a sports comp for the last few months, and at every match (Gridiron) there is the same group of photographers blazing away - all of them with 200mm lenses and monpods (which are sort of honorary tripods).

My poor tripod(s) only get used for tabletop photography where they are a must. I really should use them more.

Yes, I use my monopod all the time if I have my 400, or if I'm going to be using the 70-200 for longer than a couple of hours I will too

But...the reason I ask is ghat I watched a friend shooting portraits in full sun and he used a tripod.....now....he's a pro and much better than I, so, thought I'd ask the mob

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to use mine all the time as I do a lot of macro so I find my monopod is taking it easy now
    Plus I am getting older and cannot hold the canon L glass they are too heavy for me

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    My poor tripod is sooooo lonely, stuck in the boot for months on end. I'm thinking this is sad, its not good, it's not fair on mr manfrotto

Should I feel guilty ?
    Maybe you should take it out for a night-time date. You know, sweet talk it, take it to a loney beach, get it errected and take some long exposures. It will save the both of you and you will be very satisfied at the outcome. Your little tripod is just waiting to please you.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NikonUser View Post
    I'd say that my tripod gets used for 95% of my shots.

The only time I'm not using it is in social and other situations where a tripod gets in the way.

Paul
    You should start whipping your tripod out in social situations, it might become the topic of conversation..an ice breaker of sorts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast