Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Tripod selection help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tripod selection help

Hi All,

My tripod was left in the UK (as i had too much luggage to bring back - so the inlaws have it for my next trip over). It was a cheap nasty one. I now want to get a really good one.

I have tried in a shop a fuild one for Video production and thought it glided so smoothly i could use it whislt using the video function in the DSLR. But the main purpose of the tripod would be to take landscapes, so can you get a tripod which is fluid and does stills as well?

Where is the best shop in sydney to go to that have them all on display that i can try out?

cheers
    boggo.

feel free to fix my shots and send them back to me!

canon 5d2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know where you can try them in Sydney,

However....

When you say 'fluid one' I am guessing you are talking about the tripod head.

My first advice.... Don't buy a tripod with a head already attached! The tripod legs and head should be two seperate items so that you can change heads if your needs change (or change legs if you need some more sturdy ones)

Secondly... You can have a tripod that is 1)cheap 2)sturdy 3)lightweight...... choose two of the above options!. Good, light tripods are expensive!

I recommend that you buy something that is sturdier than you initally think you need so if you get any heavier gear you won't need to buy a new set of legs or head to accomodate it. A tripod should be really rock solid with the gear you use or you are wasting your money IMO. (only use the manufacturer's weight ratings as a guide... I would definately take them with a grain of salt).

As for which type of head (ball, 3-way, fluid, gimbal.....etc). That would depend on your shooting needs and preferences... but my recommendation for most applications is a good ball head.

EDIT: Just re-read your post... for landscape... so long as the head can be locked down nice and tight (without moving while locking it down) it would be fine for landscapes. For panoramas and such then a 3-way head (or a dedicated pano head) might be more suitable.

Good luck
    Paul
    Last edited by NikonUser; 14-10-2010 at 10:29pm.
    Australian Nature Photography

Nikon D7000
    Nikkor 12-24, Nikkor 28-70/2.8, Nikkor 50/1.8, Tamron 60/2, Sigma 100-300/4, Sigma 180/3.5 macro, Nikkor 500/4, 1.4x TC, 1.7x TC

(Comments And Critique On My Images Most Welcome)

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DDP in North Sydney have a large selection of Manfrotto on display -

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/tripod.htm

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi boggo,

I've just done this exercise.

Points to consider: How tall are you? (Big consideration if you don't want a crook back)
    What type of photography are you doing? ( How far will you need to carry it)
    Camera type and weight with biggest proposed lens mounted.
    Preferred Head (Ball, 3 way pan, video)
    How much are you prepared to spend?

There are many well regarded photographers who are of the opinion that you may change cameras, but choose wisely and you can retain lens, tripods and heads.

Good luck in your choice

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thoroughly agree with Kevin and Paul.
    Also look at Jimd's link.
    The first tripod I bought was too short for me and I spent more time swearing at it than enjoying it.
    The second one I looked long and hard and found one the right height but it has now got to go as it can not cope with the weight of the new gear.
    So now I have a Manfrotto 190PROXB and love it. Yes it is big. Yes it is heavy. But it copes with ham fisted me and my 3.8kg of camera and lens combination without a problem.
    If you can, take your gear into the store and fit it to the tripod and play with it. If they won't let you, go to another store who will. It was the best thing I did.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a modular system brand like Manfrotto.
    I would recommend the 055 as it is a good all around kit. You could change and swap tripod heads, as it is modular.
    For fluid heads, I would recommend (and I use with satisfaction) the Manfrotto 128RC fluid head. Great for video panning, smooth telephoto panning and also for still pictures.
    http://www.manfrotto.com/product/837...cro_Fluid_Head

https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/ind...luid-head.html

http://www.ryda.com.au/Manfrotto-128...ad-p/128rc.htm
    Last edited by RaoulIsidro; 15-10-2010 at 2:27am.
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for the Manfrotto 055. That is the one I just bought.

I wanted light weight in a tripod I could use standing, without bending, and also not have the tripod extended to it's maximum.

This is the model I've just hit the 'Buy Now' button on. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWNX:IT

This suited my height ( 6') better than the 190 series.

Cheers

Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What head did you get/are you getting to go with it?
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unistudent1962 View Post
    What head did you get/are you getting to go with it?
    Mark, I'm still in the undecided stage with the head.

I'm not going the cheap route because I only ever want to buy one head, ever.

I'm tossing up at this stage between the Markins Q10 and the Arca-Swiss Z1 SP. Neither is cheap, but both should last me a lifetime seeing as I've used up a fair bit of mine.
    I'm probably favouring the Markins at this stage. Gets good user reviews with no major faults or problems.

Have a look at my thread on Heads here..... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...CE-re-NEW-HEAD

Cheers

Kevin

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks everyone for the replies.

Do you think it is a good idea to have one tripod for taking to the beach (seascapes) that is cheap and you dont mind if it gets sand/salt etc... and then another good one for all other work... or woulkd a really good one survive being half covered in sand and then washed?

john

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're looking for ball heads take a wander over to http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.as...LHEADS&key=cat

Also, while you're there take a look at their L-Plates. Their gear is not cheap but should last a long time.

Tony.
    5D MkII Gripped | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Extender 2x II | 580EX II & 430EX II Speedlites
    Wanted: The list is long.......so very long........(sighs)
    Oldies but still goodies: AE-1+Program | FD 28mm f/2.8 | FD 50mm f/1.4 | FD 70-210 f/4