0 Thread(s)
    interesting read...

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post

I can't seem to get the new grip working with the as batteries, I'll have to do more playing tonight
    Any joy yet Darren?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't seem to get the new grip working with the as batteries, I'll have to do more playing tonight
    I'm assuming that should be AA batteries?

Have you checked the in camera settings.

CSM menu item D10: MB-D10 battery type gives you the types of batteries to set the grip to. Most likely due to the different voltages available, where rechargeable NiMH batteries are only 1.2 volt and alkaline batteries are 1.5V, if you;re using NiMH types the total voltage will be something like 7.2volts, whereas if you have the grip set to recognise alkaline batteries, it will want to measure 9volts. the camera subsequently thinks that the batteries are low on power.

CSM D11 allows you to set battery order too, if it's set to use the camera first and then the MB-D10 this could also be an issue.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes thanka AK, I did change that setting

Andrew had the same issue but fixed it by jiggling around with the contacts in the grip, I failed at that and its still not working with batteries but is fine with the EL-3
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A copy of a message sent yesterday showing my findings with the lack of power from the AA battery tray -----------

Success!!!!!

But don't ask me which bit fixed it.

When I was attempting to find out where all the volts had gone I did several things in rapid succession and at the end of it all I have consistent 10. something volts at the terminals and the camera works.

When I was removing a battery one of these little black plastic thingys flew out of the terminal.

I thought that they may be preventing deep enough contact with the batteries so I removed them from the terminals ( red square area ) and at the same time I noticed that a terminal was sticking up and I pushed it down into place ( yellow circle ) and it seated with a definite click.

I also noticed that voltage is available at two points on the battery tray and there is a corresponding terminal inside the grip to one of the ones on the tray ( red squares ) as well as the top terminals ( yellow circle ) I gave all the terminals a bit of a gentle poke with a fine screw driver just to make sure they were all "springing" and between all those steps the AAs work fine.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you might have a new carreer as a camera tech
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you leave your grips on permanently?
    I hesitate to buy a grip since I'd need a new arca plate...

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    do you leave your grips on permanently?
    I hesitate to buy a grip since I'd need a new arca plate...
    With the very very VERY quick detachable nature of the MB-D10, which in it's self is a vast improvement on things like the MB-D200, changing the camera from "gripped" to "gripless" is a quick and easy task.

Seriously, if you are hesitating about buying a grip because you may have to buy a new tripod plate, I feel that you need to think about one hell of a lot more than just "grips" to make your photography work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few that take 2 batteries and have IR remote support
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-Grip-Nik...item3a5e86bbe7

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    There are a few that take 2 batteries and have IR remote support
    So?

Tell me exactly how they are going to make your photography better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well the d300 and d700 don't have IR support like the d90 and d5000 do
    so yeah IR shooting would be great for some people's photography
    a front and rear IR receiver would be nice though
    Thanks,
    Nam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    So?

Tell me exactly how they are going to make your photography better.
    dude, I thought this thread was about comparing battery grips and features?
    when did it become whether my photography was going to get better or not? why the aggro? did I step on your toes somewhere?

I'm not made of money, and I'm capable of bending my arm to take portrait shots, if that offends you, I'm deeply sorry. I don't buy gadgets to make my photography better. I don't think anyone here thinks buying a grip will make their photography magically better. I hope that's not why you bought your grip.
    Last edited by reaction; 25-10-2010 at 10:47pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dude, this thread is about Zeikos battery grips and my questions to you are directly related to why you are hesitant about buying a battery grip on the grounds that it may require a new tripod mount plate and why does the fact that one brand carries two batteries and offers IR remote support going to produce better quality photos.

This is a forum, and I was merely asking a question as to why you thought that the grip that offers 2 batteries and IR support was going to make your photographs better than the one that was originally linked.

I am definitely not offended by the fact that you can bend your arm to take vertically oriented photos, but I do buy items of photographic equipment with a definite aim of improving the pictures I take. That is why I bought a battery grip, purely and simply to make taking vertically oriented images more level in the camera in the first place rather than having to straighten them later in PP.
    Nope, a grip isn't going to make my images magically better but it will help by cutting down on errors at the start of the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Seriously, if you are hesitating about buying a grip because you may have to buy a new tripod plate, I feel that you need to think about one hell of a lot more than just "grips" to make your photography work.
    I didn't know that a $100+ set of purchases shouldn't need any consideration before jumping in! Maybe it's pocket change to you, but for us non-professionals who don't make money from our photography that $100 can do a lot of other stuff.

FYI, most arca plates screw on with hex keys, not hand screws (for good reason). FYI, most buy shaped arca plates, which in this case is shaped to the Nikon grip, which I guess isn't exactly the same shape as these. You may not care for your type of photography, but some people do other types that do need plates that won't twist on the tripod.

Anyway, if nobody's allowed to talk about non-Zeikos brands, then I've overstayed my welcome on this thread, so I'll leave you to it. I'd just thought since you talked about the Phottix, and both those take ONE EN-EL3e, someone may be interested in a grip that allows powering their D300 with THREE EN-EL3e and remove the need to buy an IR receiver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darren, thanks, just receieved one.

Just an open thanks to Darren for his link and report on the Zeiko grip. Mine just arrived and works great on my D700. I've only given it a test but I think I'll enjoy it in the field. The extra support for the 70-200/2.8 is great, the rubber grip itself is comfortable, buttons/dials work fine.

Highly recommended.

Ben

If you are in the market for battery grips, these come highly recomended. I just bought one for my new D300s (still in transit) after reading reviews from another place

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Zeikos-ZE-NBG...item53e2cf1fbf
    D700 70-200/2.8 VRII 85/1.8D 50/1.8D 20/4 Ai Tamron 28-75/2.8 TC-20EIII SB800 x2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12