User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Is it worth getting this camera?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Is it worth getting this camera?

I saw an ad *commercial name removed* and they're selling the Canon 1000D for $799!
    It comes with 18-55mm IS & 75-300m lenses, bonus tripod & bag along with a 3 year warranty.

I visited different shops today and they all wondered how *commercial name removed* could afford to "give away" that kind of deal.

I had a look through flickr and found a Canon 1000D group. I had a look at their photos and they seemed good enough. Most of them weren't taken using kit lens though and most of them went through some PP.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=canon+1000d

It'd be nice to actually see some "natural" shots. Not that I mind PP, I actually like playing around with my P&S-generated photos in Photoshop.

My question now is... is this a good deal? Or is it too good to be true? Initially I was hoping to get a Nikon D90 but after some serious deliberation, I decided to just purchase an entry-level DSLR, hone my "skills" and when needed, upgrade. I mean, think of the money I could save! I could travel overseas with the $1,700 price tag the D90 has! Hehehe

If I do purchase the Canon 1000D, are the lenses included in the package deal good enough to do its job? If not, which lenses would you recommend?

Is it important to buy filters? I want to take semi-serious photos. I'm very much interested in macro photography, the usual indoor photos for parties etc and of course, taking everyday photos of everyday things. I'd like to dabble in a bit of street photography too.

Thanks everyone (in advance) for your tips and answers. ^_^

** Members with under 50 posts and 30 days membership cannot promote commercial companies on Ausphotography **
    Last edited by ricktas; 10-10-2010 at 10:57pm.