User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whst size memory cards do you favour, and why ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whst size memory cards do you favour, and why ?

Now you can get a lot of different size CF and SD cards, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 etc

what size do you favour.....and why ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8gb for main and 4gb standby. Smaller cards encourages me to clean them off and process the images and chuck the rubbish ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like wolffman, I prefer 8 gb for my mains. Speed is also a factor with my preference being class 10s.
    I also have a batch of 2 gb backup cards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CF Cards:
    If using RAW+full size JPG: 8GB minimum, 2-3 spares.
    If using JPG only (such as in HDR and animation, stop motion): 4 GB is sufficient, with a couple of 2GB spares.

SD Cards: 8GB as I can't find anything lower in most shops... (conspiracy?)
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
    Like wolffman, I prefer 8 gb for my mains. Speed is also a factor with my preference being class 10s.
    I also have a batch of 2 gb backup cards.

Im not familiar with "class10s" ??

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should say that I use these in dual slot mode, I think they are good value. I also have a spare 4mb card at work, another at home, another in my camera bag, another on my strap, and one in the car for good measure

http://www.cheapchips.com.au/memory/...-30mb-sec.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a combo of 4&8. The 4's are good as they are an easy way to group a shoot to backup on to DVD.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a couple of Sandisk 16mb (one spare and one in my K-7) and one 8mb (in the K20D)
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have 16GB CF cards. D3 takes two at once, shoot in RAW, with second card doing an instant backup. 16GB in D3 gives me about 500 raw files.

have never had to use the backup card, as not had a failure (so far).
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rarely upgrade memory cards, and my collection of them is quite small.

• Main: SanDisk Extreme IV 8GB CompactFlash card
    • Backup: SanDisk Extreme III 4GB CompactFlash card

I've not had to use my backup.

The 8GB of my largest card is probably considered quite small by the standards of the current pixel counts DSLRs have.

I bought my 4GB card in November of 2006 for use with my Canon EOS 5D, which I bought about a fortnight later.

I bought my 8GB card opportunistically in 2008 when I bought my last lens.

I also have a 256MB (yes, megabytes!) card I bought in 2002 or 2003 for my compact digital camera at the time. It was a whopping $300 or so. The flash card is now essentially a museum piece. :-)

As of May this year I've been shooting with a 5D Mark II, which is 21mp vs. 12.8 (original 5D), so 8GB doesn't quite stretch as far. However, given what I shoot and the fact that I format my card after every shoot, I might have only run out of space once if that.

At some stage I should probably invest in a pair of 16GB cards of even 32GB, but so far the need has not arisen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not long ago I bought a 16GB card. Got sick of running out of space on my 8GB during a busy weekend of shooting. Managed to fill up the 16GB in one day a couple weeks back. Put my 8GB into my P&S. Need to get a backup 8GB for those weekends I don't make it home to empty the card.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the 350D I used a combination of 2GB and 1GB CF cards. (I also have a 128MB CF card, but that was used on the P&S). Sizes purchased was based purely on price at the time.

With the 60D, I had to go and purchase some SD cards. Got 2x8GB and a 16GB. This gives me a slightly higher shot count when compared to the CF cards, and the CF cards always lasted a shoot on a really busy day when shooting RAW.

Why 8GB and 16GB? One is cost (although they both worked out to be about the same $/GB), but also if a card is lost or faulty, I won't necessarily loose everything, just some. Also, the capacities allow me to shoot some video if I am so inclined as well without loosing to much stil shot capacity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 x 4g class 10 SDHC - why? because they were on special ($40 each). Hoping to pick up an 8 or 16 cheap when I go OS at the end of the year.

Edit: $40 when they were normally selling for $70.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take the card for the job,,,,
    Motorsport = Class 10 card with enough capacity to take the amount of shoots you'll need. If it's bikes and I spend a day there 16GB is needed plus a spare just in case.

Other formal photography = Class 6 cards and lower are fine and use 2 x 4GB. (Plus have the 16 backups)

REally depends what you're shooting, just make sure you have anough for the event.
    Currently using;
    Nikon D850

Lotsa other bits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    16GB Extreme Pro as main then three 4GB Extreme IV's as backup. Mongrel once their all full. Too many hours in front of the screen.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 Kingston 133X 8GB cards I use in the 7D and a 4GB unbranded blue card for the 400D with 3 Lexar 1GB cards as backups these were purchased when I first got the 400D. I usually download them every day whether there's 1 or 1000+ shots on the card.
    Keith.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use cheap cards, just this week a friend of mine on bp had his Kingston card corrupt during a wedding shoot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 that is exactly what I do. With my old P&S (many years ago) I had a 512MB card as DVDR weren't common back then.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon it's a mistake not to buy a big, fast one when you buy a new card. I used to buy ones that seemed to be big enough at the time and not too expensive. That wound up leaving me with a stack of very small, very slow cards. The 512MB and 256MB cards had seemed fine when I had a 4MP camera, and even well after that the 1G and 2GB cards seemed OK, but they wound up needing to be replaced too soon. They weren't quick enough either - as camera and card reader speeds increase, speed becomes more and more important.

So I was still using one 2GB card until just this week when I bought a 32GB Sandisk for the 7D (bird camera - needs by far the most space) which means that the 16GB card can go to the 50D, the 8GB card goes to the 40D, and the 20D gets the 4GB card. (I mostly use a 16GB SD for the 1D III, though it takes CF as well.) With any luck, that will be the only 32GB card I ever buy: by the time I want a new one, 64GB will be affordable (and needed if file sizes keep on increasing as they almost certainly will) and we can play the hand-me-down game again.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been stung by card failure before, I stick with 8GB cards (and a couple of 4GB as backup) to limit the number of images I could potentially lose if a card fails. Shooting RAW with my 5DII, I get upwards of 275 photos on an 8GB card which is plenty for my style of shooting.
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast