Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adorama, B&H, etc.

Adorama Camera Customer Service HelenOster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    Well you know adorama and b&h are quite similar, usually one is cheaper item and more costly shipping, etc. But it's interesting adorama has sent us a rep to help out here. Still, the first one to solve the shipping cost will win big. If they can ship free within US, there must be some leeway for us.
    If you would ever like an item USPS you only need drop me an email.

We are currently in discussion with 3 separate providers to come up with a better deal for our Australian customers - which would be accessible via the Adorama website, but in the meantime, there is me: Helen@adorama.com
    Sincerely

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
    www.adorama.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helen, I notice the adorama ebay seller doesn't shop here. Is this something you can fix, as I have a coupon for ebay that would work well for ridiculously expensive stuff ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I have a Canon 5D Mk II I wanted a compact but one that is reasonably good quality. So I have just purchased a Canon Powershot SX 30IS...Looked at Adorama and B&H (got accounts with both) but the freight left cost more than Australian Disty...Finally haggled with JB HIFI and got mine with an 16Gb Class 10 memory card and another battery for $AU446.00. Now you can't beat that.

Just on the query about warranty issues. As a Canon Pro, I never buy a body that's not covered by Australian warranty as Canon will not even look at it for a price! All lens though, are covered by international agreement and if you buy a lens overseas and something goes wrong, canon will honour the warranty (or at least that's my experience). They will also calibrate the lens to your body free of charge.

I have dealt with DWI and find them prompt and good prices. This time their freight, even though only $35.00 took it over picking it up free from the local JB HiFi shop.

To bypass the high postage with Adorama and B&H, I have had them ship free to a contact in the US and then separately shipped to me. I found that to be about 25% of the quoted cost. I think a lot of dealers put a lot on handling...don't know about the 2 big ones.

I'm Glad Helen spoke up so I will try her next time. I am in the market for a couple of lens...just sold a couple of camera so got the money! (And Helen you will know me because my user name is the same for you as it is here so expect an email soon.
    Last edited by Doninoz; 13-05-2011 at 6:42pm. Reason: wanted to mention I saw Helen from Adorama
    DON - Teachable, always learning, always experimenting, just want to know everything I can about photography!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you buy from overseas they are often grey grey imports, especially in asia. eg you may get hk invoice on a european product. that totally voids any warranty you expect to have.

in that sense the big ones are safer as you get valid international warranty. handling is ridiculous though. I have friends in usa but wouldn't know how to get usd over to them.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    if you buy from overseas they are often grey grey imports, especially in asia. eg you may get hk invoice on a european product. that totally voids any warranty you expect to have.

in that sense the big ones are safer as you get valid international warranty. handling is ridiculous though. I have friends in usa but wouldn't know how to get usd over to them.
    Isn't that the reason grey exists. Basically you get a cheaper product, but lose on warranty etc. Nothing new in your post that adds to the discussion here at all. As for getting money to them in the USA, easy do it via PAYPAL!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Isn't that the reason grey exists. Basically you get a cheaper product, but lose on warranty etc. Nothing new in your post that adds to the discussion here at all. As for getting money to them in the USA, easy do it via PAYPAL!
    No, you miss the point.

B&H send you a US lens with US invoice, you get valid international warranty.
    DWI send you a JP lens with HK invoice, you get nothing

both are grey imports for you here

for people like Doninoz, do it the wrong way and you find out later your international warranty doesn't exist.

eg DDP are JP stock, T-dim are EU stock, it's hard to know really...
    Last edited by reaction; 13-05-2011 at 10:17pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone had any warranty claims for items bought from Digital Revue ?...if you by from their online shop , they state that if you need a repair..take it and get it fixed and they will refund you the money...if you buy from their ebay shop..everything is return to base for warranty claims ...

I just bought a 1.7TC from them..and after a small delay due to a paypal issue and unconfirmed address { even though it is !} ..the item only took three days to get here...

the TC was $400AU..my Local shop was $650...I still buy from my local shop...even if they are a few dollars more...but $250 was too much of a difference .
    I do find though , that once the shipping is taken into account...plus currency conversion rates are applied ...some items are not much difference at the local bloke
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 14-05-2011 at 1:02am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    anyone had any warranty claims for items bought from Digital Revue ?...if you by from their online shop , they state that if you need a repair..take it and get it fixed and they will refund you the money...if you buy from their ebay shop..everything is return to base for warranty claims ...
    Do you mean Digital Rev? As Digital Revue is not a site advertiser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, digital rev...sorry I didn't realize that this thread was in the site advertisers area....I linked to it from a new post search and didn't take any notice of the threads location
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 14-05-2011 at 10:25am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say again, I am pretty sure other companies follow the same principle as Canon...I know Nikon (Maxwell) do...if you buy a grey market body, they won't even service it for a price...in other words, you can take it there and be prepared to pay them, they will still say they won't do anything because it is grey market! I've had lens from overseas (B&H) and they have serviced that (for a cost) because there is an international agreement on lens and other peripherals. It's just not worth the risk buying camera bodies overseas. Companies here are prepared to bargain so you have to go out and bargain or buy one of Adorama's/B&H Mack international warranty at least.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doninoz View Post
    .I know Nikon (Maxwell) do...if you buy a grey market body, they won't even service it for a price...in other words, you can take it there and be prepared to pay them, they will still say they won't do anything because it is grey market!
    Don, Nikon and Maxwell are two entirely separate entities in Australia these days. As for having grey market Nikon bodies serviced at a cost to you, the authorised service agents for Nikon in Melbourne are quite happy to take your dollars from you and if you have a Mack warranty they will be the ones performing the work as well.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123