Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adorama, B&H, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adorama, B&H, etc.

With the $Aus riding high, American sites are attractive.

For lenses, what experiences have folks had with outfits such as these? If a lens comes with a USA warranty, what is the significance, if any? Their USA and "imported" prices are very close.

B&H seems to offer the option of adding our GST. Haven't checked this with Adorama. Any experience one way or the other? How about refurbished with rrespect to GST/Customs? Can this change the status of the camera?

And finally, how do they rate compared with, say, DWI, Citiwide, DD, etc.?

Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both B&H and Adorama are among the best known camera sellers worldwide, and often among the cheapest. The only downside, the both charge huge freight prices, and they won't tell fibs to customs on the import declaration, which means you pay 10% GST on any purchase where the total cost including freight >AUD$1K.

The HK & Asian based sellers, DWI, Citiwide, DD Photo will often be a bit cheaper, but offer less personal service, however they are usually happy to "adjust" the invoice cost to help you out with larger purchases and the 10% GST customs would like to charge you. All are reasonably reputable, and I have purchased from all of them personally with the exception of DD.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing about DD is that they have a physical store in Aust and their prices are GST inclusive. Which means if u r going overseas within 30 days of purchase, u can claim back the GST. You can't with companies where the product is sent from overseas.
    There have been a few discussions lately about the whole warranty business so do a search for it.
    Broadly speaking for digital products - warranted only by the sellers. Lenses and speedlights - may/should be warranted by manufacturer if bought non-gray.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B & H is a fantastic store and i would highly recommend them. I was in their New York City store only 3 weeks ago and it was possibly the best shop I have ever been in!!

The best thing to do with B & H, when ordering from Australia, is to order to an american address (if you know someone over there), Most often the shipping is free within the US. Then get your friend to send the gear over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just looking at some stuff from adorama, but $70 postage on a SD card case is a little to much.

It is a pity they won't ship using USPS, as a lot of time items will come through without a need to pay GST (For stuff over $1k), where as UPS will charge you the GST and a fee for handling it

Adorama Camera Customer Service HelenOster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycronic View Post
    I was just looking at some stuff from adorama, but $70 postage on a SD card case is a little to much.

It is a pity they won't ship using USPS, as a lot of time items will come through without a need to pay GST (For stuff over $1k), where as UPS will charge you the GST and a fee for handling it
    We do ship USPS - but nothing over $100 US value, as it isn't covered by insurance.

If you are looking to order a low value item drop me an email: HelenO@adorama.com with the SKU # of the item you are interested in and I'll advise you of the shipping costs.
    Sincerely

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
    www.adorama.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I've just ordered some gear off Adorama so I'll let you know my thoughts soon. I agree with their shipping being high (very high). I regularly buy cycling gear out of the UK and shipping is anywhere from free to about $30 (about $100 for a bike or wheels). But Adorama just charged me $60 shipping on $110 worth of gear which is a bit steep. However, with the AUD almost at parity I still saved about $100 even with the shipping included.
    Last edited by wmphoto; 14-10-2010 at 8:50pm.

Adorama Camera Customer Service HelenOster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BAD4U View Post
    Well I've just ordered some gear off Adorama so I'll let you know my thoughts soon. I agree with their shipping being high (very high). I regularly buy cycling gear out of the UK and shipping is anywhere from free to about $30 (about $100 for a bike or wheels). But Adorama just charged me $60 shipping on $110 worth of gear which is a bit steep. However, with the AUD almost at parity I still saved about $100 even with the shipping included.
    Next time please email me first!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
    Next time please email me first!
    Thanks Helen, I will (I found this thread and your post after I had ordered).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have previously ordered from Adorama, Tri-State and Amazon. I have received the gear in good order, in good time and well packed. I did ahve to pay GST on a large order and, but the shipping costs are amortised accordingly. Adorama packed this gear very well - I know it seems like a minor detail, but if you get a crunched up box holding a $1,000 lens it is a bit of a worry. With Adorama it boxed in a box with ++ cushioning material. You might pay more for P&H but doing it properly is worth it. From some other E-bay sellers, things are reasonably packed, but not like Adorama. I might note, as an aside, I had a non-arrival from amazon, and I notified them, thinking they just say "bad luck" or "was it insured", but no; a repalcement was shipped immediately and on trust. That's the way to keep a customer!
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Four days from the US to WA, I'm impressed Adorama (you've got another 2 orders coming your way ). Since my posts above I have done some more searching of the net and Helen must be congratulated on how active she is on this and other forums, in an effort to maintain good customer service. Well done, another satisfied customer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will look at Adorama - alway need new gear - Tax return is on the way
    50D, 50 f/1.8, 24-105L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS 11, Understanding Wife
    Photos - Panoramio - Flickr -

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams. - John Barrymore -

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another one for Adorama, didn't buy from them this time as DWI dropped their prices. But would happily use them again....and yes packaging is very very good.

Roo
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered my new Manfrotto tripod and head from B&H on the 10/10/10 but selected USPS delivery. I understand that it takes significantly longer compare to UPS or FedEx. Has anyone had any experience with USPS and how long did it take for your delivery?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ordered 3 times off Adorama in the last 2 weeks and all deliveries were by UPS taking 4 days to get to Perth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm News are not good for me, according to our local post office guy, USPS international delivery are not reliable at all. Apparently parcels goes missing all the time and especially during Christmas period. and if it is a registered post, i can expect it in January.

Hope this is not true or I can kiss $700 (Manfrotto legs, head and bag from B&H) goodbye

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

I ordered a Manfrotto tripod and ball head from B and H, only I got it sent to someone in the US (for free), then they shipped it out to me - saved an extra bit of cash doing it that way.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I hope not as I have a Black Rapid on its way withe USPS! I do miss the ability to track it!

Roo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheach View Post
    hmm News are not good for me, according to our local post office guy, USPS international delivery are not reliable at all. Apparently parcels goes missing all the time and especially during Christmas period. and if it is a registered post, i can expect it in January.

Hope this is not true or I can kiss $700 (Manfrotto legs, head and bag from B&H) goodbye
    I've never had a problem with USPS - things can take a little longer, but nothing I've ordered has ever failed to turn up.
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Michaela. I keep saying to myself my local post office guy is new to the business (he bought the business beginning of the year) and don't know what he is talking about.

Well... I can sleep better tonight

Cheers
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast