Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: speedlite/flash tutorial link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

speedlite/flash tutorial link

Not sure is the best forum for this...
    I've been search these forums to try to understand the use of my speedlite (actuallz a Metz 48 AF-1) on my Canon.

I did not under the behavior when I was in AF/Tv or M modes. I was getting the impression that ettl did not work in these modes, as it seem that the flash existence was been ignored.

I could not find anything here, but I googled may way to this link: http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

A good tutorial on the back development of ettl-II, and explains my misunderstanding.

Basically in these modes, camera is metering the ambient light (before the flash) to bring up the background, and the ttl stuff kicks in for the foreground. Auto/P modes meters with the flash, probably leaving you with a black back ground.

Anyway, the tutorial in quite good, sometimes a bit technical, some bits out of date and Canon centric but I believe useful for all flash users.
    Mark
    Canon 5D mkII
    LENS CANON EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, CANON EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, CANON EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, CANON 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro + Kenko Extension tubes DG: 36mm, 20mm, 12mm & Kenko 2x Pro 300 DGX
    FLASHES Canon Speedlite 270EX, Metz 48 AF-1 , Yongnuo YN-560, + Gary Fong Lightsphere, RF-602 Tx, 3x RF-602 Rx
    TRIPODS Benro A-169 + B0, Manfrotto 676B (mono) + Benro DJ90, Manfrotto ART 190 + mod 168.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same flash - using on my Canon 550d. I found that before I updated the firmware, I didn't have alot of the funtionality that this flash was capable of. eg HSS, and communications with the camera were limited.

You can find the link here for the upgrade which took mine from version 1 to version 2.2 here

Hope this helps - I'll have a look at the site you have listed when I have more time
    Constructive Criticism always welcome - it's the only way to learn!
    A selection of my photo's can be seen here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A site I found very helpful was this one- http://neilvn.com/tangents/
    Some good useful info on using flash on there.
    Pentax K20D & Grip, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 DC Macro, Sigma APO 70-200 f2.8 EX DG HSM II, Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 flash, LowePro Flipside 300 backpack, Photoshop CS 5, Lightroom 3, Manfrotto Monopod & 498 RC2 Ball Head, GoldPhoto "Tracker" Tripod, Hoya CPL and UV filters, Yongnuo RF602 flash triggers.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elyshiamadison View Post
    You can find the link here for the upgrade which took mine from version 1 to version 2.2 here
    Thanks for the heads up, I upgraded the day I brought this flash. One reason I bought this flash instead of the Canon was becuase it was upgradable.