Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmerlin View Post
    I bought an adapter to fix my old Olympus OM 50mm 1.4 to my 7D but it's a bit hit and miss to get the focus right even with though the adapter has the focus chip.
    It seems that when it says it's in focus it actually isn't so it's wait for the focus light and then give it just a bit more.
    I did some camera lens calibration trials to compensate but ran out of adjustment at 20, it probably needs 30
    I think I'll just suck it up and get the niffy fifty as I've already oofed a couple of what would have been nice indoor shots.
    Honestly, forget the focus confirm chips. I know that some people swear by them but I think they are a waste of time and money.

If you have a camera with an excellent viewfinder, such as 1ds series bodies (my 1ds2 is brilliant for manual focusing), then focusing with the ground glass should be fine. I don't know what the 7d's are like in this respect. Even the 5d2 is OK with the eg-s screen, although it is very dark and a pain in the a$$ in that respect. Live view is even better but it's not well suited to many types of photography. 95% of the shots I take are on a tripod so live view works best for me and I use a large range of alt lenses (in fact I don't really use Canon lenses very often).

JJ
    Last edited by jjphoto; 28-10-2010 at 1:27am.