Looking to add to my lens collection, and upgrade from the kit 17-85 EF-S IS USM. I'm chasing a lens that I can use mainly for sea/landscape, and also leave on camera when out 4WDriving. Looking at either Tamrom SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] and or Sigma Lens 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM, not with holding the Canon Lens 17-55mm EF-S f/2.8 IS USM. Can anyboby that has the Tamron or used the Tamron, tell me what the difference between the "Tri Axial VR and Non VR" is like, considering its a small and light weight lens. Is it needed (Is it like Canon's IS) I can only guess as to yes..

BUT.

I am wondering if I am going to take the bubget to the Canon lens, should I go for the Canon Lens 24-70mm EF f/2.8L USM or the older 28-70 if I can find one and also in that range the Canon Lens 24-105 EF f/4L IS USM. These two will cover up-to the zoom range where my 70-200 comes in at.

If any body has gone down this road before, your input would be muchly appreciated, any sample pics taken would also be great.

Any other susgestions you have would be great, as I have only recently switched to CANON, for Olympus.