Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: nikon d300 for beginner

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok people I ordered my camera not long after I posted my last post Majority of you are all going to be shaking your heads at me lol but I got the 300s. I couldnt help myself ok!!
    I'm full on dedicated to learn everything about it. Going to do a course, I got you guys and I know alot of people I can go to if I need more help.
    I have been known to spend more money on things than i've needed to but have never regretted it and dont think Iwill thistime either. Its just that it may take a little longer to work it all out but I am happy with that
    I will want to update one day but I really dont see me doing that for a while with this one,I;ll be busy gradually building up my lens and stuff. Also my husband is where I was at a few year ago, where I wanted to do photography but couldnt be bothered actually learning about it. So he has already put his hand up to take this cam when I upgrade lol.
    Thanks again everyone I really really appreciated it

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well good luck...just don't let yourself get put off and get some good glass!

Good luck with it, it is a great camera......and yes we are all here to help! You will never learn all there is to learn about it!

Roo
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rellik666 View Post
    You will never learn all there is to learn about it!
    Why not? I frequently max out my knowledge of any given body Depends how far you look into it I guess.
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have too much time on your hands!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha no no, just young and a sponge for information Plus, I work in a camera store, so I use a Nikon at work for passports and a Canon in my own time, and teach people to use their assorted other models on the fly...so that probably helps.

Quote Originally Posted by rellik666 View Post
    You have too much time on your hands!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you are not trying to say I am old!

Roo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good luck with the D300s, its a great camera. Stick it on P for the first month and nothing else
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats
    it'll be a great camera

did you go with the 18-200?

i would recommend an SB400 or SB600 flash too
    Thanks,
    Nam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I did it too, just pulled the trigger on a almost new d300s from the states...thank god for the usd

I sold my d300 6 months ago for more, so, not so bad

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff Kiwi. I know I personally should have got the d90 but I am happy with my purchase,cant wait to pick it up. I won't get put off Roo.Wont lie,im abit scared of being totally crap at it with everything I need to learn,but I will get there eventually.
    Yes Nam I did go with that lens to start off with.
    I shall do what kiwi said and keep it on P for a little bit and go from there. When should/could I start using a polarizing filter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was starting from scratch knowing what I now know I would get the D90. I firmly believe that it's better to spend any available cash on glass rather than camera. The D90 will do more than most need and if you invest in good lenses you will have them for life. There is a new camera just around the corner to make your camera look old and tired but lenses dont work that way. Have a look at what a used high quality lens is worth second hand. After years of use they can fetch close if not more than what you paid for it and if you do upgrade to some wizz bang monster camera then all your good lenses will complement it and you will have a hand second body to have around just in case.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this is a beginners guide and i have just gotten reacquainted with this nikon I have a few questions
    1.With the vivid action in the camera why is it when I shoot In Raw the colours are so ...well vivid and when its transferred to LR2 and CS3 its well very neutral in appearance
    2.I have just gotten the 85 mm F/1.8 D and the 50mm f/1.8 D and I have notice to what it seems to me a switch of sum sorts (At the 1.8 end).its funny to me

As Im too a beginner with a new system cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re colours, make sure you download the right nikon d300 profiles for adobe products or yes, it's likely to look flat

Re the swtch, not sure what you mean, can you explain further ?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cupic View Post
    Since this is a beginners guide and i have just gotten reacquainted with this nikon I have a few questions
    1.With the vivid action in the camera why is it when I shoot In Raw the colours are so ...well vivid and when its transferred to LR2 and CS3 its well very neutral in appearance
    2.I have just gotten the 85 mm F/1.8 D and the 50mm f/1.8 D and I have notice to what it seems to me a switch of sum sorts (At the 1.8 end).its funny to me

As Im too a beginner with a new system cheers
    A RAW file is just that, and Photoshop/Lightroom do not apply the 'settings' you use. If you wish to have your vivid settings etc applied to your RAW file, you need to use Nikon's own Capture NX or NX2. Also what you see on your LCD from taking a RAW photo is not the actual RAW file, but rather a small JPG version. The LCD displays this JPG which can have the settings applied. Nikon RAW files include a small JPG version embedded within them (again this is not viewable unless you use Nikon Software).

Your RAW file will open in your editing software with whatever colourspace your editing software is set to use, not what you set as a picture mode, in camera.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The colour profile I use is Srgb (This I assume is what you are talking about)and for the switch its located right above 1.8 switch is mounted up down

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed you made mention of wanting to take photos of your kids growing up as a main use of the camera. I may have missed it, but with the exception of one post, no one else has made mention of getting a prime lens!

I would *highly* recommend adding a 50mm prime lens to your inventory. They're cheap as chips with the Nikon f/1.8 starting from $120 and it'll be one of your best lens purchases.

-Alan
    -Alan

D700 | D80 | 16-35 | 24-70 | 70-200 | 30 | 50 | 85

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123