Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nikon d300 for beginner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nikon d300 for beginner

Okay,Ive always been keen about photography,but never done anything to learn more about it....until now.
    I have been very keen on getting the Nikon d300s for a while now (well the d300 at first) and was just going to buy the camera with standard lens,however now I am wondering whether I should just buy the body and lens seperate?
    Obviously further down the track when Im abit more experienced with the camera,I'll purchase more lens,but would like some help on which would suit me best for now.
    I am interested in taking photographs of my kids,animals, and landscapes etc also to take with me on trip overseas.
    Would appreciate any help with this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you need it right now ?

D7000 with 18-200VRII would be my pick
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning on getting one in a month or two,not urgent but wanting it alot so I can start getting more hands on.
    I was thinking 18-200,but I still have no idea. So is the d7000 only newly released?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D7000 is brand new, will be shops end of october

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 18-200VR will cover most bases until you work exactly which direction you want to take with your photography. Another option maybe the 16-85VR which is wide enough for landscapes and ideal to portraits and pets.

Cheers
    Leigh
    Nikon D600, 24-70, 300 VR1 2.8, Tamron 60 f2 macro + Kenko tubes. SB800.

My Nikonians Gallery

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Teitzy. I see you have a D300,would you reccommend me buying that camera?

Also Kiwi with the D7000, can you blow the photos up poster size like the D300? Im really hoping to get some good shots of our trip to blow up and frame..

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Leigh I missed your name there. One other thing,is there much difference between the 18-200mmVR and the 18-200mmVRII?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D7000 is 16.8mp, the D300 is 12MP

This means little if you are going only to say 20x30inch

The sharpness of the shot and the noise means lots more, I have 20x30" prints from 4MP files, no problem

The 18-200VRII is better than 18-200VR1. Not that much by the looks. A stop better performance, slightly sharper in the corners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D90 at $800 represents great value right now, Id be tempted to go that way if you are brand new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are no scene modes in the d300
    so it helps to have a basic understanding of shutter priority, apperture priority and manual exposure modes if you use a d300 body

i think the d90 is a steal at the moment and would highly recommend it
    Thanks,
    Nam

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so theres a Nikon D90 twin lens kit. It has the 18-55mm and 55-200mm with it.
    For the price I was going to pay for th D300 and 18-200mm lens,would I be better getting this D90 package along with another good lens to play with? Or even just get the D90 body with 2 or 3 other good lens?
    Totally had my heart set on the D300 but if its too hard to use for a beginner theres not much point is there.
    Im looking at spending as much as what the D300 is worth and hoping the body lasts a fair while and I dont outgrow it too quickly.
    Sorry for all these questions,I just want to make the right decision I really appreciate all the help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather go the d90/18-200 kit thats out there

The kit lenses are cheap rubbish

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I thought they probably were. Ok well I think I'll go with that then. Thanks heaps for the help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd go with the 18-200 for the convenience of not having to change lenses and the VRII over VRI. To call the kit lenses "cheap rubbish" in comparison to the 18-200 is a bit harsh - I have the 2 kit lenses and have used the 18-200 VRII extensively and there is a split hair between them in terms of straight image quality. If anything, the kit lenses win on IQ by a shade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, fair enough, they are not as bad as some lenses i suppose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello there, I have a D300s and my daughter the D90, it sounds like you are realy keen to explore photography and have been gearing up for the big buy for quite some time. I am wondering if you would be better off with the D7000, it has a lot of features that will keep you busy for some time to come before you will yearn to upgrade. If you wait a little bit it will come down a bit in price, though only a couple of hundred and you were budgeting for the more expensive D300s anyway

Good luck and be sure to practice lots before your trip
    Cheers Yvonne

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you had a play with these cameras and seen how they feel?

For learning I would get the D90, but personally I wouldn't buy at as it feels uncomfortable to me.

The D300s is a heavy camera and as said above has very little to ehlp you learn. Saying that I have learnt so much since getting mine and it is a great camera. I have no idea about the D7000 but it sounds like a great camera, however (not knowing how much it will be) I would get the D90 and plough some money into a lens or two....

I have the 18-200 VRI and it is great the VRII has improvements in the VR I believe....If you can get a VRI second hand at a good price I would go for that, if there isn't much to save go the VRII.

Why Nikon BTW?

Roo
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice,I really appreciate it.
    I've heard the Nikon D300s is a fantastic camera from so many people and I thought I'd like to get that one to begin with so Im not wanting to upgrade in a hurry and I'll have plenty to learn with this camera. Having said that,I am a full on beginner and thinking the D90 may be the way to go now. I did look at this camera a fair while ago and liked it,but yeah just dont want to get this and still end up wanting the d300 lol I am pretty stubborn lol.
    Not saying i'm well off or anything,but if price wasnt an issue at all,would you all still reccommend me getting the D90 over the d300 for my first dslr?

I am set on Nikon and confused enough as it is without bringing another brand into it ha ha.

Planning on going into camera shop and getting a feel of both these cameras and if I still havent bought one by he time the 7000 comes out,I'll suss that one out too,but I have been really itching to get into it so Im hoping to get one in the next week or two.
    I am pretty set on getting the 18-200mm VRII now so at least I have that decided for my first lens,so thankyou all for that.
    I will be practising before my trip alot Yvonne. My last couple of holidays or day trips etc I have just taken horrid snap happy pictures with my little compact camera, I want good photos to remember this trip by,it has also been a long time coming too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from a D60 to D300s so a little different but if you do go down the D300s path you will be very happy it is such a versatile piece of kit that will allow you to adapt in many different ways to your situations, will be a huge learning curve for you but one well worth persevering through.
    Feel free to edit any of my pictures.
    Flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D300/s might be a bit of a steep learning curve going from a P&S. If you have a month or two to play with the camera before your holiday it might be enough time to become proficient with the D300/s. The D7000 has scene & auto modes, and is not that far behind the D300/s models in terms of spec (actually better in a number of areas) and should keep even an advanced amateur like myself pretty satisfied for a couple of years

Cheers
    Leigh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast