Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local vs Grey Market

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local vs Grey Market

Just interested in everyone's thoughts....

I am planning to buy a 5DII and have been doing some research on price. DWI have it for a great price $2,500 (ish). I just went to the local camera shop to find out how much i could get one for duty free - $3,100 (ish). The local store has small perks like free sensor cleaning & they hire lenses to people who buy camera bodies off them which could come in handy. There is also the Canon Australia warranty HOWEVER $600 is a BIG difference and I am definitely not made of money. It seems like a no brainer money-wise but I am concerned about warranty issues on the grey market cameras. $2,500 is a lot of money to lose if something goes wrong & the grey market warranty is dodgy. Anyone had any good/bad experiences with items being purcahsed or repaired under warranty by either DWI or DDP?
    Canon 50D, Canon 10-22, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 70-200 f/4 L, Canon 1.4x II extender & Wonderful 50L dry cabinet to house all of the above!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you would like that camera store to still be there in a few years time, buy from them or another 'white' market retailer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont forget that you are likely to pay 10% gst + up to $100 in charges importing, then, how much are you prepared to pay for an australian warrantee ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I must have been a member to long on this forum for the number of times I have seen this topic :-) lol.

There is arguments in both directions and if you search you will find a pretty even split I think. Personally I like to support local business and for me to date I have always been able to bet them down to within $50 to $100 of grey market - in fact my 50D I got for less than grey at the time.

You also need to consider import duty and such. I would like to recommend trying the site sponsors price wise too - probably where my next purchase will come from.

Personal preference I think but I like to feel I am doing my bit for the economy. My personal thoughts.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Renae
    I was in the same quandary when I was looking for my EOS 550D last April. I ended up spending more and buying on the local market. Good thing I did too because I had to send it back to Canon yesterday! Things shouldn't go wrong with a new camera but sometimes they do.

I was in one of the local camera shops a couple of weeks ago and heard a guy bargaining for a lens for the same price as the "grey" market one. They accepted his offer without hesitation so it's worth a try, the worst they can do is say no!

Hope my camera doesn't take too long to come back - I feel as if I've lost an arm
    Carole

Canon 550D|Canon 15-85mm|Canon 70-300mm|Canon 100mm f2.8 macro|50mm f1.8 II|
    Sony NEX 6|Sony 16-50mm| Sony 55-210mm|Sony RX100
    www.carolelloydphotography.com

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same as above, go local, Might be less camera shops up your way, but if you do your homework, there are plenty of shops in OZ that sell over the net with secure shipping, AUS PHOTO site sponsors is a great place to start, also QLD or WA for to closeness for shipping.

If you settle for a local shop and then buy more gear later, you will be remembered and probally have more barganing power after buying a top camera of them..

Best of luck
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes its just hard to buy local when the $$$ is huge between grey and white.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    QUESTION: hey what comes first? The Chicken or the Egg?

ANSWER: None. The Grey Import vs Local thread ALWAYS COMES FIRST

hahahaha!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a pretty simple rule, buy bodies local and lenses grey.....bodies are more likely to go kaput

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the exchange rate the way it is at the moment,there are some excellent prices on the grey import sites, a lens i am looking at is nearly 40% cheaper than what i can get locally.

It has also just crept under the $1000 mark, so a bonus in avoiding complications with customs,
    and rather than wait to see if the exchange rate improves further,i ordered it tonight.

I am not sure how the exchange rate would be effected if the reserve bank increases rates next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will find Collin that customs may well look at it's value here when assessing it, when it is that close to the $1000 mark, and not what you paid for it. They are not daft
    My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you buy from a trusted grey store it should be okay. Theres a couple really well known ones that professionals buy from (and many people on here I have read to!) buy from. They are in Aus with store fronts and pretty good customer service and good if you ever need to return. Then you have the dodgy ones to.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....... cheaper is not always a better deal......

....... buying from store fronts have been well worth the odd minor hic up with lens and bodys....

I have had lens exchanged, and re calerbrated no questions asked

bodies re calerbrated and camera body exchanged in I case .......

EDIT: you are unable to get this service with a web purchase

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at buying a grey market 50D because the prices were a lot lower than local stores had the cameras advertised for but I was a bit worried about the warranty so I asked at a local store if they would do any deals and thet ended up only $90 dearer than grey price. I bought the camera straight away and the guy said if I need any lenses or other accessories to come and see them which I did when I bought my 100-400L, after shoping around on the web and they also priced matched that. They have definatly got my business for any other goodies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I obviously have been very lucky with my photography purchases over the years as I have yet to have a warranty issue (send in for repairs/replacement). So my personal premise is to forego any warranty considerations.
    My current equipment is all ex-eBay USA (over the past 4 years or so) and is all "going like a rocket".
    Whilst I try to support the local economy, the governent taxes "luxury" items to death and then the GST to boot (taxes upon taxes). Export items from the USA/England exclude any form of purchase tax.
    It has been mentioned of the Customs involvement - they will hold any parcel showing a value of around $1000 and above, and you will have to pay duty.
    Many camera stores will haggle over pricing...... just be brave and negotiate.
    Regards
    See it how I saw it.
    www.lintrathen.net.tc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    My two bobs worth is I have purchased "grey" and "white" with the caveat the "grey" I purchase from is local to Queensland with a brick and mortar shop front of long standing reputation. The "grey" importer from whom I buy, purchases from the overseas manufacturer of hypothetically say Canon, not Canon Australia (who I believe import from the same Canon manufacturer) The "white" product is sourced from Canon Australia, enjoys the warranty through Canon Australia and should a defect be found the camera is returned to Canon Australia who send it out to a camera repairer or replace. Should a defect occur in the particular "grey" importer with a shop window of bricks and mortar they send it out to the repairer or replace in line with the warranty with the purchase. Forgive me but could the repairer could be the same one in both instances. So the "grey" importers can have a much lower price as bypass one level of sale. Having said this the "white" purchases have been on a par price wise with the "grey" if you take in to the salesperson the print out of the price you can purchase the item.
    I consider both the "grey" and "white" dealers that I purchase from as "local", the only local thing in both instances is jobs...

The "grey" seller, Australia (and I am not talking about an overseas "grey" seller eg Hong Kong where I must say I was sorely tempted but concerned with warranty) in my experience have the item delivered by courier the next working day in my location.

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lintrathen View Post
    Export items from the USA/England exclude any form of purchase tax.
    It has been mentioned of the Customs involvement - they will hold any parcel showing a value of around $1000 and above, and you will have to pay duty.
    I am looking at upgrading my equipment and so am following this thread with interest.

Lintrathen - I am curious - when you say the export items don't have a purchase tax, are you referring to a tax in the country of purchase, i.e. USA or England? If they are over $1000, and sent to Australia, do you still have to pay the GST on them?

Cheers
    Canon IXUS 3MP, 5.8mm-17.4mm f2.8-4.9 zoom. 1 dead pixel. After a recent drop, no LCD screen.

Follow my experiment where I see what it takes to move from a nobody to a professional photographer http://canibecomeaprofessionalphotog....blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    i have a pretty simple rule, buy bodies local and lenses grey.....bodies are more likely to go kaput
    Agree would be a bit wary buying a camera offshore but lenses yes, recently saved myself a fair bit buying from the us just do a bit of research from the shop you are buying from.
    Photoshop CS4 and lightroom 2 (lI know a little bit but am learning )
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated
    Feel free to re work my images, just please let me know what you did, and how you did it so I can learn
    Stu .
    my website
    my gallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good points mentioned.

I'm certainly also one to support the local bricks and mortar industry and would be keen to find how just how much room the retail stores have to move.

E.g. the body and lens I am after is $1550 shipped from HK. Assuming I am hit with GST let's call it $1700.00. Retail shop is selling for $2200.00. Would they really have $500.00 to move? I'm all for establishing a relationship with that store and keep going back for my gear however I also don't want to insult the business owner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is very much a recurring discussion. When you pay a bit more for quality, the issue of price is soon forgotten as you enjoy years of pleasure, and when you by cheaply and things don't work, you are forever reminded of what you might have had if you had paid a little more. This is not just about the camera - this is about making the right choice, buying the right accessories, the right warrantee and the right after sales service. I looked at the bona fide Australian (online admittedly) prices and I agree reputable providers that I have dealt with or have no concerns about their reputation have them for $2.900. The grey advertised price +shipping +insurance+import tarriffs(GST) and I would say your not far off. I have negotiated in photo shops and chains like Harvey Norman - they get the floor manager and he/she does a deal. All you have to do is ask!

Good luck

berni
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast