User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: lighting for homemade light box

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we need more people like Macca, who cares if the wheel has been invented, If we don’t keep reinventing things nothing will improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some fluorescent light bulbs on the market include
    T-16 –
    T-12 –
    T-8 –
    T-5 –
    F40T12BLB - which stand for black light blue ultraviolet light.
    They can give you some intresting affects.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I want to know is, since when has "over engineering" something become a cause for criticism?

So because something is simple, it's obviously better?

filling paint cans with concrete is simple? ... that video had to be the stupidest solution to a simple problem I think I've ever seen(except to a professional concrete painter maybe!!)

foam core! great stuff because it's lightweight and hence easy to move around.. but I'd have serious misgiving about it's durability! I hope you have a spare sheet, as this stuff breaks so easily even with the slightest breeze(I know this from vast experience in moving sheets of it from pointA to pointB)

here's a likely scenario ...

"Oooh! I need to setup my 'youbay flexible lightbox of the day' today, so I better get out and 'set it all up'
    (which takes time). Foam core sheet has been safely placed some place(that takes up room), and should still be in one piece(if the cat hasn't been trying to sleep on it up in the rafters, or the birds haven't pooped on it). So that one single large piece foam core has indeed survived that night, but not the trip from the rafters to the lightbox building site, as you accidentally bumped it on the post sticking out of the can of cement. So back off to OfficeWorks to source another sheet(again).. and you eventually set that side of the temporary lightbox now. On to the nylon(or acetate) sheeting which you now catch onto the remains of the stick you've just snapped in your fury of the foam core saga, and you now develop a rip in that light diffuser. So... back to Spotlight to get another sheet of nylon(again).. so by the time the 'etube more flexible lightbox' has been setup, which is now 11PM, and time for bed, the overengineering orientated product photographer has finished her duties for the day, spent some quality time on AP displaying some images and helping others with commonsense thoughts, opinions and suggestions.. while the underengineering photographer is now tired and has to come back to the actual photography of the product tomorrow, hoping the cats and pigeons don't come back to ruin the setup of this most flexible lightbox!

Macca: the only thing I'd have done different to your setup is had backing on the rear of the box. Is it required, wouldn't it have been better to have been open(as the front is) for more flexible lighting(if you ever require some rear lighting too, and to route the wiring to the side curtains easier too. So in place of the solid rear, two posts as per the front section for the solid sides to attach too.
    Also those(MDF??) sides could have had a cutout too, as per the top, for more flexibility and ease of access for the side lighting.

NOTE: I have no idea on what makes a good lightbox, and I have no intention to built my own(by that may change in the future).. I just like to think I see things with come common sense/practicality, and if I don't see that, I have a need to ask what and why.

anyhow! .... despite what others think you may need, this type of self sufficiency is good to see.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering... Could you have made it so that you could add light from the sides as well?
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    filling paint cans with concrete is simple? ... that video had to be the stupidest solution to a simple problem I think I've ever seen(except to a professional concrete painter maybe!!)

foam core! great stuff because it's lightweight and hence easy to move around.. but I'd have serious misgiving about it's durability! I hope you have a spare sheet, as this stuff breaks so easily even with the slightest breeze(I know this from vast experience in moving sheets of it from pointA to pointB)

The stick in a can is a fantastic simple, cheap idea that can be utilized for a heap of things in a "studio" and foam core board is an entirely different product than what you think you're talking about with your "vast experience".......

NOTE: I have no idea on what makes a good lightbox
    ^ That bit was extraneous to your post.
    Last edited by Bear Dale; 01-10-2010 at 9:03am.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    arthur
    thanks for the comments the only reason i have gone solid is i only have to put a slide down the front and it is dustproof
    i will be keeping it in shed and i do a fair bit of work out there
    the side lighting should be right
    i had a lighting tech check the box out and ordered lights to suit
    to access side lighting the inner curtains just slide out
    once again i take note of your usefulinformation

geoff
    the lights are hidden in the side of the unit
    thanks for the comments fellows
    cheers macca
    Last edited by macmich; 01-10-2010 at 9:23am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macmich View Post
    arthur
    i had a lighting tech check the box out and ordered lights to suit
    What lights have you ordered?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After having a chance at seeing the whole thread. (All the thread didn't show this morning with because of a database error) Sorry for adding my useless post.
    I can see your points, and what you are trying to achieve.
    I see you are like me and love to get in the shed and design and build something that is going to make our lives easier (Just built a home studio in the shed) who cares if it ends up costing more than what you can get it E-Bay. The point is we have a passion, and these projects feed that passion.

As for the negative posts.... Let them come up with something better, and post some of their shots as proof.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    geoff
    the materials cost nothing for the timber
    i got the muslin from a old light tent that was stuffed
    the lights cost me around 45 dollars
    i had the paint left from jobs
    and extra lighting is what i had
    so all up its really cost bugger all and i got what i want
    i hope you keep up the shed work
    for me it keeps me busy and the mind ticking over
    cheers macca
    ps your post wasnt useless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you going to tell us what lighting you used or not?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dust! .. yep makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post

^ That bit was extraneous to your post.
    not necessarily!

see this part..

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    .... I just like to think I see things with come common sense/practicality....[/I]
    As a confirmed tinker myself, I like to see what and how others do their tinkering too.. so the relevance of my comment was that, even tho I've never made one, I can understand what they are and why their needed, and that what's suitable for one person may not be for another. If the time comes for me to build my own, then I'll have some idea on what would be required.
    When you do it for yourself, there is a general accepted understanding that you use the materials you feel most comfortable with.
    I hate cement, and would never make posts using cement in a paint can, unless the paint can has a very wide base relative to the height of the post, which then makes them a lot heavier than need be ... etc, etc.
    I believe there are easier ways to make sturdy posts, that would have a lower weight to stability ratio.

as per Jim's question... what type of lighting are you using macmich.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    arthur
    the side lights are 15 watt flourecents which i thought would not be good enough
    but the light tech is quite sure they will be right for the job on the sides
    by the looks of it he is right
    i have got a couple of spotlights for the front and top that i will fit when ready
    i had a look on sites for tents and one of them supplying
    tents is using the same flouros for the sides
    these are the last photos and not very good at that until i finish the stand off
    cheers macca
    you can see by the height of stand that the back will not have to bent over all the time
    and the wheels makes it easy to move around
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i will cc my own post
    they are the worst shots i have ever seen
    cheers macca

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the best LB I've ever seen, complete with pedestal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 15watt flouros look like they're pumping out a lot of light.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you
    wait until its painted up and the front spotlights are attached
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats it look like with just one side lit up? You could get some nice effects I reckon like that.

Bunnings have $9.99 spotlights for sale, you can throw away the bulb that comes with them and get an Osram 60 watt narrow beam spot bulb for around $4.00 (the ones with the sillver reflector built in)....could be good (and cheap) for a front spottie if you haven't already bought one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JimD. Good to see that you have come around.
    The first few post were a little confusing I must admit. Then I seen were Macca was leading and started to get excited with the concept.

Macmich. After seeing the design in action with the photos, I am totally impressed.
    You could sell them, or if you are a little like me, you could post the specs for others to make their own. (As long as they write "Designed By MacMich" on the side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Macca.

This is looking brilliant so far, as far as the end product and the quality of shots to date.

Glad you found good lights too.

Have you managed to get them to be more "directional" as you were originally anticipating? Would you use a pseudo "barn door" solution or do you have something else in mind? I was curious earlier if some sort of snoot filter in front of the fluro's might work as well.

It's just that at the moment you seem to have a pretty full wash on both sides given how omnidirectional the fluro's are.

Jee. Guess you could even paint 2/3 of the back of them black as well. Couldn't you?

These are just my ideas but what have you considered?
    Dan

Canon EOS 550D Gripped - Twin Lens Kit - Speedlite 430EX II
    CC and EDITS with info invited. Feed my brain!
    "don't drink from the mainstream"

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a good job Macca.

Are the side lights tubes or the compact ("curly") type?

Edit: Just had another look at the photos in post #72 and can see a round hot spot in the first so I'm assuming they are the compact type.

Cheers.
    Last edited by fillum; 02-10-2010 at 1:38am.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast